14 Posts

Shards of Infinity» Forums » General

Subject: Bad box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and t hit me that even though it is a small card game that should fit in a tuckbox, it barely fits in the big box it came in.

These big character thingies that don't really do anything take up so much space in the box that the normal size card deck has to be seperated into four piles to fit in the box :s

So for the nitpicky complaint. I am pondering if I should toss the chacter dials (or maybe just two of them), but it does seem like a shame.

Was anoyone else a bit bugged by this or am I just being impossible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the dials were an improvement compared to the life tracking in the Realms games. The box size is a bit clunky, I agree. The dials are a bit too tall, and don't stack nicely. It might make sense to store two dials outside the box, as I'm very unlikely to ever play the game with more than two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
I just got this game and t hit me that even though it is a small card game that should fit in a tuckbox, it barely fits in the big box it came in.

Everything should fit cleanly. However, for sleeved decks, there might be a slight gap. We're looking at various options with our publisher, Ultra PRO, to address this concern in future sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rock
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the box because it’s difficult to remove the cards. I’ve already bent a few cards back trying to get them out. I found if I grab that centre fold of cardboard I can lift up the cards and then remove them from the box. My complaint with the score keeping cards is the big dial easily rotates if a player moves the card; so I always have to keep an eye on it to make sure no one’s touched it. Also, when you want to change the health you can’t unless you lift it up. It makes it seem clunky and clumsy. I also don’t get the illustrations on the score cards; they don’t appear cohesive with the rest of the game’s art but the style of illustration between the score cards look as though they’re from different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have problems lifting the last few cards out of the box, just turn the box upside down after taking the rest out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my problem is that I like to have one big stack of cards with a hair band around. This is not possible here, even though the box is super big. If it were a bit wider, the dials would fit in the other direction.

I hope I will not have to store the expansion in another box. Otherwise I will have to toss a few of the dials then :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
one big stack of cards with a hair band

cry

Making it wider to fit the dials in sideways is a good idea. I hope they come up with an alternative to the dials though, personally, for the next set. Maybe just split it up into two separate dials, with generic art on the mastery dial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you can always use a phone app instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done that before, yea. It would be best if the official trackers were used though because eventually they will likely have different abilities printed on them. Plus, you can't always play near a charger to keep your phone running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An official app would fix all these issues. You can each chose a hero and asymmetric powers could be included in text. Mastery and health could be tracked using the app. No more silly trackers or bad box. I'd completely ditch the trackers if there were a good app and I'd keep the cards in a deckbox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely there is already a good app for tracking four numbers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
I have never lost at Ascension nor Shards of Infinity.
badge
mbmbmb
waxbottle wrote:
An official app

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Surely there is already a good app for tracking four numbers?

I use one of the free magic apps, but it's a bit of a botch given you need 2 counters each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use iOS, Mutility is easy to set up so that it looks nice and works well for Shards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.