Broom Service» Forums » General

Subject: Choosing a bewitched role - (how often) does it happen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought this game yet, and I'm trying to decide on it.

After reading the rules and knowing that I'll likely be playing a lot of 2-player games, I was wondering:

You take a 3 point penalty for choosing a bewitched role. Now, given that there are 10 roles and each round 3 become bewitched in a 2-player game, that leaves you 4 out of only 7 'safe' roles to choose for each round. That's more than half.

So I'm thinking, in a 2-player game you'll quite often be choosing several of the same roles for a round. Unless the 3 point penalty could sometimes be worth the rewards of a bewitched role, especially since chances are higher you'll be able to play it 'brave'.

I'm wondering, how often (on avarage) would you want to choose a bewitched role, if at all?

Or in other words: does the bewitched rule simply reduce the role pool for each round, or is paying 3 points for a certain action a real strategic consideration?

I'm asking because this might make or break the game for us, so I'm unsure if I should buy it. (That's also why I'm posting this in General and not Strategy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Teeka,

I think there's a psychological thing that goes on when you 'choose to lose points' to do an action, but often times choosing a bewitched role is a guaranteed 'brave' action, although there's been times where others have also chosen the bewitched role and I lost 3 points AND didn't get the action to do.

I think I've gone with the bewitched role at least once if not twice per game; although it is dependent on board state as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:
I haven't bought this game yet, and I'm trying to decide on it.

If you desire a mid-weight game that is still easy enough to get casual gamers quickly into it but has enough "meat" to be interesting for more experienced gamers I would highly recommend it. I like to think of it as a little bit easier "version" of Concordia. Nevertheless, the card play mechanism is different and very unique. I played it for the first time last year and it has been for me one of the most pleasant surprises.

Quote:
After reading the rules and knowing that I'll likely be playing a lot of 2-player games

It plays pretty well with 2 players but I think it really shines with 4 to 5.

Quote:
You take a 3 point penalty for choosing a bewitched role. Now, given that there are 10 roles and each round 3 become bewitched in a 2-player game, that leaves you 4 out of only 7 'safe' roles to choose for each round. That's more than half.

That's the beauty of it: Even with 5 players and no bewitched cards there are no "safe" roles. It all depends on correctly guessing the cards of the other players and the turn order.

Quote:
I'm wondering, how often (on avarage) would you want to choose a bewitched role, if at all?

Impossible to say as that can vary wildly. You may have one game without choosing even one and another it would make sense to do it 3 to 4 times.

Quote:
Or in other words: does the bewitched rule simply reduce the role pool for each round, or is paying 3 points for a certain action a real strategic consideration?

There is more long-term strategy involved than you may think. The towers further away from the castle give you more points. So you choosing a "bewitched" witch that allows you to move closer to those towers may make strategic sense. Choosing a "bewitched" weather fairy to get a cloud out of the way could be very beneficial. Picking a "bewitched" gatherer that gives you much needed potions can make a lot of sense.

Reading the map correctly and choosing the roles accordingly while not being too predictable is the key to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It's not a box, it's a...
badge
mb
It’s great 2 player. Yes, it’s better with a few more, but it’s a great game even with two. The way I look at it the higher number of bewitched cards in a 2 player game compensate for the uncertainty and risk that would be present with more players. There will definitely be times when you want to risk those bewitched roles. It’s a great game of second guessing your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! The game is now on my 'to buy' list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.