Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: board game cafe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donna Miller
msg tools
Hello All, I am planning on opening a board game café in Bergen county nj in july. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions of what games to carry and what other services to provide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Highfill
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’d look at the top 500 ranked games here on BGG as a good starting point. Have a good mix of games that play well from 2-5 players, and favor ones with less complexity (use the weighting measure as a gauge). You can also include some “party” games that play 5+, depending on the size of your establishment.

I’d say the following 10 are essential:

1. Ticket to Ride
2. Codenames
3. Small World
4. Qwixx or other Roll and Write (disposable but cheap)
5. Dixit
6. Carcassonne
7. Scrabble/Paperback/Hardback or other word game
8. Settlers (sadly)
9. Agricola/Caverna
10. Dominion

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu-Chu Li
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard someone suggested reading the book Friendly Local Game Store by Gary L. Ray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm sure your market will include:

1. Board game geeks who want:
a. the latest The Hotness titles
b. expansions for their favorite games
c. a modern classic they haven't picked up yet
d. kickstarter titles they didn't get to back

2. Board game muggles who will want lighter and introductory fair like Ticket to Ride, party games, Pandemic, Magic, etc.

To get advantage over the online stores hopefully you can have lots of events like specific genre game nights through Meetup, teaching a hot new title, tournaments, etc to boost awareness and loyalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven J
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm always surprised when people come on BGG and say they are opening up a shop soon and then ask what they should sell/stock.
I've written several Business Plans and that is usually part of market research, sales planning, inventory, and marketing.

Good for you for just jumping right in though. Best of luck.
If you are interested in local marketing and advertising solutions message me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaRidleyXP wrote:
I'm always surprised when people come on BGG and say they are opening up a shop soon and then ask what they should sell/stock.

it's also apparent no one ever sees the pinned to this forum thread...

So You Want to Start a Game Store? Recommended Resources and Advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would head over to snakes and lattes website.

If you look under their best sellers you’d be surprised at how light they skew.

Even better if you look at each Of their locations you can look at the game library and filter by “greatest hits” which might give an indication of most popular.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donna Miller
msg tools
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I have done my homework and love board games myself hence my interest in opening store. The purpose of the thread is to let the people I consider experts in this arena join in. Ideas like Meetup and teaching new games are excellent. Thanks again and please keep the ideas coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out pieces cafe in St. Louis. It's $5 to use the library, but for every item u buy at the cafe it knocks a dollar off. So if I get a sandwich and a drink it knocks off $2 and the library fee is $3. But they have a full menu and bar, since I'm sure they make most of their money on food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check Top 300.

Basic Intro Games - Deep Sea Adventure, Codenames, Splendor, Sagrada, Azul, Jaipur, King domino, For Sale etc...

Medium light - Ticket To Ride, Camel Up, Colt Express, Stone age, Istanbul, Broom Service, Colosseum, Castles of Mad King Ludiwg, Catan, Pandemic, Forbidden Desert etc..

Med to heavy Euros - Tzolkin, Village+Inn, Lewis & Clark, Alchemists, Blood Rage, Agricola revised edition, Trajan, Castles of Burgundy, La Granja,Puerto Rico, Merchants & Marauders, TTA, Dungeon Lords, Petz, Manhattan Project EE, etc ...

I don't play conflict so you can choose.. There are a lot more.

Atleast have around 80-100 games as bare minimum.

Please do concentrate on the game play aspects. A proper gaming table (not just a table) which can accommodate 6 is very essential. use of dice trays & towers to make it more appealing.

Do make a single page reference sheet for setup and gameplay, most of the games don't have them. Try making player aids for games that don't have one.

Have game menu with subsections, like ages, genres, weight, etc...

Having some gaming friendly and healthy snacks (salads, sprouts etc)..

Try to get a plano box for the games to make the setup n cleanup more easier. Have spare plastic containers.

Familiarize yourself with most of the game rules especially for heavier ones, do google for best way to explain the tougher ones.

Membership concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You say you've done your homework, but it's May 22nd, and you say you are opening in July. You are asking pretty basic, preliminary questions that you should have known the answer to about six months ago, at least, if you are opening in July. I think you are insufficiently prepared and you should do significantly more research and legwork so this doesn't become financial suicide. Most new small businesses fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.