Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Hellboy or Orc Quest? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ff sh
msg tools
I can ony back in one
Have some doubts.
Like hellboy theme and mechanics but I think it is a bit limited by number of cases.
What do you think?
Which one would you back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going with Hellboy because I like the theme and think that even if the kickstarter doesn't provide tons and tons of cases, the randomness of replaying a case will be enough to keep playing.

I also think the community with create more cases and have seen that someone has even been working on a fan made campaign mode for the game.

I have plenty of other campaign games so I'm not concerned about missing out and am picking based on theme and whether I will enjoy painting the miniatures or not. I will definitely have more fun painting hellboy then orc quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to help other readers: You mean OrcQuest WarPath. OrcQuest is a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ff sh
msg tools
jorl wrote:
Just to help other readers: You mean OrcQuest WarPath. OrcQuest is a card game.

I mean the one on KS. The boardgame

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1504466921/orcquest-war...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ffsh wrote:
I can ony back in one
Have some doubts.
Like hellboy theme and mechanics but I think it is a bit limited by number of cases.
What do you think?
Which one would you back?

Do you like Hellboy? Do you want a bunch of cool Hellboy miniatures? Do you wanna beat up giant frog monsters with Roger the Homunculus? Then back Hellboy.

Do you dislike things that are awesome? Then go with the other one [1]

[1] I kid, I kid. I know nothing about Orc Quest. Maybe it is also awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was backing both but I just dumped my hell boy pledge . I really felt it didn’t bring anything new to the table . I’m backing orc quest.I’m waiting for a gameplay video help me decide to keep it or leave it . I really like the card action system, reading crate to find metal and wood to upgrade your weapons . Seem new and fresh! I’ve backed around 160 ks project but to be honest everything is 100 or more bucks now adays then tack on 20 -30 shipping ! It’s almost best to wait for the game to hit a 2nd ks if it’s popular enough or wait for retail. In the 2nd Kickstarter they always fix or add new content. Between my gaming buddies we have 600 games and we rarely get to play a game a bunch of times so I never use the sg . That’s just me though. I’m starting to be way more cautious with my money .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mak logan
Greece
flag msg tools
mb
I find that there is no true comparison between the 2. It is up to you what you prefer. If you want some pros and cons for the hellboy you can check the forums. You can also see Hellboy: the board game why is so successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ffsh wrote:
[...] but I think it is a bit limited by number of cases. [...]

As already explained at least twice the last time you asked, the base pledge will give you an amount of Case Files (sometimes also called Scenarios on the Kickstarter page) that is IMHO quite respectable.

Since last time, the numbers have even increased a bit:
- 3 Case Files in core game
- 1 Case File in Conqueror Worm expansion (included in base pledge)
- Giant Frog Monster
- Rasputin
- Tentacle Monster
- Conqueror Worm
- Ragna Rök Rasputin
- Ilsa Hauptstein
- Baba Yaga
- Baba Yaga (alternative)
- announced today, but not yet unlocked: von Klempt + Kriegaffe
- 'Build your own Case File' feature in B.P.R.D. Archives expansion (included in base pledge).

That's a total of 12 pre-made scenarios right now, plus another one most likely coming soon, plus an editor that allows you to create your own Case Files. There will also be 2 additional Case Files in the Hellboy in Mexico expansion, but it will cost you another 35 GBP.
And don't forget that you can always exchange the boss monster for another one in any given scenario (that's what the so-called Confrontations are for).

Based on what has been said about the game by designer James Hewitt and Mantic representatives, the Case Files also seem to differ in terms of gameplay: Some of them will obviously require you to kill the boss monster, but there will also be scenarios in which you'll have to make a part of the building collapse or need to escape from the danger zone.

I quickly browsed the OrcQuest: Warpath KS page, but wasn't able to determine the number of scenarios included in that game, so I'll leave the comparison to someone else ... But since you asked which game we would back if we had to pick one, I'd take Hellboy any day. Not only because of the IP and Mike Mignola art in general, but also because OrcQuest seems to have a very specific sense of humour that I'm not very fond of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant F.
msg tools
noahshu wrote:
I was backing both but I just dumped my hell boy pledge . I really felt it didn’t bring anything new to the table . I’m backing orc quest.I’m waiting for a gameplay video help me decide to keep it or leave it . I really like the card action system, reading crate to find metal and wood to upgrade your weapons . Seem new and fresh! I’ve backed around 160 ks project but to be honest everything is 100 or more bucks now adays then tack on 20 -30 shipping ! It’s almost best to wait for the game to hit a 2nd ks if it’s popular enough or wait for retail. In the 2nd Kickstarter they always fix or add new content. Between my gaming buddies we have 600 games and we rarely get to play a game a bunch of times so I never use the sg . That’s just me though. I’m starting to be way more cautious with my money .

KS can get addictive. Don't fall into that trap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not seeing the OrcQuest card game at Miniature Market, so I think there's a greater chance of OrcQuest the boardgame being more difficult to find at retail. The game certainly thematically brings something to the dungeoncrawl -- your teammates can get mad at you, the monsters are lazy guards taking a bathroom break on the wall, sounds lowbrow fun, although I haven't looked closely at the mechanics. Hellboy, meanwhile, is designed by James Hewett (sp) who designed Silver Tower and Gorechosen (?) for Games Workshop. The game mechanics look like a good thematic fit for Hellboy. But if neither theme truly grabs you, you might look into a retail dungeoncrawler when it goes on sale, or save up your gaming budget for a KS that really *is* a must-have for you. I have several dungeoncrawls and, frankly, they all sorta munge together into a bucket of dice-chucking games. I'm looking forward to CMON's Lovecraft and Munchkin-themed games, but only because of the theme and miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.