Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Weirich
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mechanically I thought December was fine, but thematically it doesn't makes sense to me. Perhaps I missed something in the text?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So now that Utopia is on the map, it can get plague cubes and the Hollow Men will attack it? I sort of understand the plague cubes because we're moving into an uninfected area, but why would the Hollow Men show up in Utopia and attack it? If you go to place a fourth Hollow Man in Utopia it would normally reduce the population by one, so in an unfortunate situation Utopia could fall off the grid? Huh?

That never would have happened in our game because we put a bunker in Utopia, which prevents population loss. Which brings up the other odd situation. First turn we drew the red card that said if it was in your hand you could build a bunker by discarding any card. We already had two Hollow Men in Utopia at that point so it made sense to put a bunker there. Then we said to ourselves. "Wait a second... were are on a secret mission behind enemy lines, and we're building a bunker... wouldn't they notice that and try to stop us?" Thematically that is just strange. I suppose if we wanted to we could have also built a Supply Center there and flown in and out? All while on a secret mission?

Hollow Men just keep showing up in Utopia (we had 3 or 4 of the Utopia cards in our draw), and weren't a problem because we had a bunker there. So after the third Hollow Man, nothing would happen when Hollow Men Gather in Utopia. We were never in danger of having placed too many Hollow Mean on the board.

Did we do something wrong? Or was there a story element I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You didn't miss anything, December is just stupid in this season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
We don't need a spoiler box when the thread itself is spoiler tagged, so...

The gears grind a little between theme and mechanic, but it does make a kind of sense. It may very well be that the population of Utopia is highest every November, and lowest every spring. The bad things that might happen to it in December of Season Two could have already happened every year for decades. It is, after all, not a pleasant place.

Meanwhile, although they look like bunkers, and we called them bunkers, they're actually "shelters". That might just mean establishing a safe house, which you absolutely can do in enemy territory.

A supply centre in Utopia might be a little more brazen, I admit. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McGeehin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Remember that the Hollow Men do not like Utopia. They are exiled from Utopia in November and charged with spreading the plague. They aren't allowed back in until they kill the Faded and non-Utopian citizens. It makes perfect sense that Hollow Men would gather there: You breached the walls and they might want revenge.

Since the walls are breached, plague can also get in.

As for "why would they let you build a bunker?" Well, they're being attacked by Hollow Men. The Utopian citizens might turn a blind eye if you're saving their lives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Lozano
France
Saint-Etienne
flag msg tools
Trying to find time to paint...
badge
...but translating all day long !
mbmbmbmbmb
Game mechanic point of view : Hollow Men blocks the ways to get the cure, and may even expose character to their second scars so that he/she would die by auto-injection. Same on the way back.

Thematically point of view : we didn't see the hollow men on Utopia as the same hollow men in the rest of the world (they get exiled, and could only return back on November). We thought it could be the population of Utopia itself, trained to reject and fight the non-utopian people, that fight the faded and the resistance.

Spoiler for search of pack 3 and 8 :
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Consider the help that you can get from other cities : Informant (that reduce the Utopia infection card), Local resistance (supress 1 Hollow Men), Spy (Card count as two red card for recon), ... They're isn't helping to fight the plague but to get trought Utopia and reach the cure.

Same for the use of sheter, we consider it can provide safe shortcut througt the city.

What is awkward is the necessity to reduce the population of Utopia because of it's own population, or the fact that they could get infected despite being 71 years safe behind the walls. Doesn't make sense gameplay wise or story wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.