Potato Pirates» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules question on „for“ loops and two little rants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Bauer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Stacking control and action cards under “for” loops is unclear in the rules: What happens when you stack a “for 2, 3, x, y times” loop and put two actions (eg roast) under it. Does the loop repeat only the first or both action cards? Examples in rules sadly also don’t clarify this.

Another note: Nice fun game you created there. Sometimes somewhat quirky dynamics (a bit like in exploding kittens but deeper). We always had fun so far. Also great quality material!

2 rants though (apart from the rules questions here, on hack and on who gets cards of a drowning player so far):

1. Would really have helped to put „anchored“ ship on the hijack card and not only state in the rule book that this does not apply to ships in battle mode. Especially since the picture on that very card shows a ship in battle mode... Sometimes I really question if games are even playtested. But I guess it is always the same reason which I keep complaining about: Playtesters usually get the game explained by the dev team or others and thus such unclear rules issues are overseen. ALWAYS leave playtesters alone with the rulebook to sort things out on their own and just observe!

2. This is the only game that I have where the box is too small to host the content once you sleeve the cards and this is really annoying at a time where so many people do that to protect their games! Not even building an own or removing the inlay entirely (the common two painful solutions to this much occurring dilemma) will help with potato pirates. It just won‘t fit. (No that’s what she said jokes please) This is a pity especially given the high quality gold edged cards. Most people will just ruin them quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All action cards in a loop will repeat. If you have a "For 3 Times" card and has two action cards, lets say 1 and 2 damage, then you will do 3 damage for 3 times. Still, in true programming spirits, we never total up damage from multiple action cards. The actual damage sequence is 1,2,1,2,1,2 damage. This isn't very important for those "For ..." cards, but is important for 'While..." cards because the damage sequence can cause you to deal less or more damage on the final hit (always put the higher damage card on the bottom).

If there are multiple loops (with the action card at the bottom), lets say x and y, the higher loop encircles the lower loop so the lower loop also repeats x times (thus the action card repeats x * y times).

Perhaps this is a bit confusing to normal people, since normal people tend to add up total number of loops, but this is elementary programming concept (which this game uses) and as a programmer it is immediately obvious even if the rulebook never mentions it.

I do agree with you on the two points you mentioned. I like to sleeve my cards so I am a bit annoyed that I can't do it without ditching the box. Still, this is hardly a fundamental problem and half the games I own has this issue too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.