Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/politics/trump-fbi-justice/in...

Perhaps my title is mildly overblown, but Trump taking the rare step of dictating WHAT to investigate, and calling for the opening of said investigation. Some might argue done so to protect the integrity of the campaign process. But let's be real, knowing Trump, and his lack of depth, can this be seen as anything other than using the Justice Department, as your own tool, in a political fight?

It appears that Sessions and Rosenstein have caved here, referring the matter fo the IG. I don't even necessarily disagree with an investigation per se, more inappropriate is the obvious timing of the call for it, AND the utter lack of evidence that Trump can point to, to merit initiating the investigation.

We will survive, but I see this as just another assault on the democratic institutions that our country has cherished, for close to 250 years. Thanks Trump!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Trump's paranoia, irritableness, and constant need to save face by distraction aside, the idea that a president inserted an FBI spy into the opposing party's election campaign is very bad. Even though I believe Trump's claim is made up, generally I would like to know if something like this happened. It would be more of an assault on democracy than having a corrupt fool in office.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/politics/trump-fbi-justice/in...

Perhaps my title is mildly overblown, but Trump taking the rare step of dictating WHAT to investigate, and calling for the opening of said investigation. Some might argue done so to protect the integrity of the campaign process. But let's be real, knowing Trump, and his lack of depth, can this be seen as anything other than using the Justice Department, as your own tool, in a political fight?

It appears that Sessions and Rosenstein have caved here, referring the matter fo the IG. I don't even necessarily disagree with an investigation per se, more inappropriate is the obvious timing of the call for it, AND the utter lack of evidence that Trump can point to, to merit initiating the investigation.

We will survive, but I see this as just another assault on the democratic institutions that our country has cherished, for close to 250 years. Thanks Trump!

Remember that this would be only the second such example of him using the powers of the presidency in such a manner. He is attempting to financially punish Amazon by yanking up their postage costs, even though the government is not losing money on the deal as he claimed. Its because the CEO of Amazon is also the owner of The Washington Post which has published various truths he does not like.

The damage he is doing is long lasting and may never go away totally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crescent_gamer wrote:
Trump's paranoia, irritableness, and constant need to save face by distraction aside, the idea that a president inserted an FBI spy into the opposing party's election campaign is very bad. Even though I believe Trump's claim is made up, generally I would like to know if something like this happened. It would be more of an assault on democracy than having a corrupt fool in office.

Oh I agree, it is why I said I do not necessarily have a problem with the investigation, but the fact that he is 'cajoling' the DOJ to conduct it, is a bit disingenuine, since we can kin dof figure out WHY he is doing it. His motives are nowhere near pure here, laughs, he is ultra-concerned with the fact that Obama may have inserted some moll into his campaign, but has not yet acknowledged the fact that Russians attempted to interfere in our elections.

And if Obama and/or the DOJ did due what Trump suggests, I do not condone it, although, frankly, there are protocols in place that would likely limit the powers of the informant. The DOJ and FBI use informants extensively, the use of them in itself is not illegal, if they acted within those protocols, with good intent. In any event, it is now clear that the IG will determine that, and I welcome his report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
crescent_gamer wrote:

Hold on—what do you expect? The FBI tells Trump “Dude, we don’t like to tip ongoing investigations, but your campaign manager is extremely likely to be a Russian agent,” and his response is a shrug. The candidate clearly has no intention to perform his own counterintelligence, and the Russians have a demonstrated desire to penetrate his campaign. I don’t see doing nothing as even an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
crescent_gamer wrote:

Hold on—what do you expect? The FBI tells Trump “Dude, we don’t like to tip ongoing investigations, but your campaign manager is extremely likely to be a Russian agent,” and his response is a shrug. The candidate clearly has no intention to perform his own counterintelligence, and the Russians have a demonstrated desire to penetrate his campaign. I don’t see doing nothing as even an option.

You are correct but what I think he's questioning is if the president(Obama) had ordered this as Trump is trying to claim. That would be out of bounds. If the FBI is doing this on their own due to evidence of a possible mole or worse then that would certainly be proper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
And that would be a a positive outcome of the investigation, finding that the FBI only collected information regarding those suspicions. But, if the FBI also collected tapes/disks/USB Sticks of GOP campaign strategy and that was available to the corrupt DNC and by extension their anointed candidate Clinton, then there is a problem. It probably should be an investigation called for by Congress though, it looks bad coming from the President who is under suspicion for campaign corruption already. Puts any investigation that is initiated under a disingenuous cloud of suspicion. Doesn't he have any friends, or reluctant collaborators, left in Congress to push this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Meh. If Trump wants to investigate the FBI for overeach, I'm fine with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Meh. If Trump wants to investigate the FBI for overeach, I'm fine with that.

Laughs, i would use the term 'want' more judiciously. More like he sees it as a dsitraction to the current narrative, namely, the investigation into Russian collusion. I suspect he doesn't really give a crap about what they actually find, although there is no doubt he will use whatever they find, in various future tweetstorms.

I'm not so much questioning the investigation, as opposed to the reason for initiating it, which does not speak to a respect for our democratic institutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.