11 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do Aloof Enemies attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
So, the only Aloof enemy we had encountered previously were Whippoorwills and those seemed quite clear. But then, we played Course of the Rougarou yesterday and found it surprisingly easy.So, the question becomes:
Do Aloof enemies still deal damage in the enemy phase? We always assumed no, since they don't engage, but is that actually a rule or just something we made up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They attack if they are ready and engaged, just like any other enemy.

But not only won't they attack you when they're not engaged, you can't attack them unless you engage them. That creates the likelihood that they'll still be engaged with you during the enemy phase, and maybe not exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Huh. So, Rougarou is just really easy, then? I mean, if that thing never attacks you. We never felt anyone was in any danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rougarou himself is not a direct threat if you don't hunt him, but I don't consider it easy to get an optimal result, so it's possible that you missed something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on what you mean by easy. You do have to spend clues to engage it unless you have area of effect weapons like Dynamite. If you miss the Rougarou does retaliate, and there are mythos cards that will give it free attacks on anyone at its location or connecting locations.

Yes, it is pretty rare that you will end the turn engaged to it, but it does have a decent amount of HPs and the way it moves means you will have to continually chase after it unless you can really whammy it hard with extremely high damage weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other enemies to attack you in Curse of the Rougarou.

Did you follow this instruction?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Quote:
Forced - After The Rougarou takes 1 damage during a single phase: Find the location that is farthest from all investigator. Move The Rougarou (one location at a time) until it enters that location.

It takes a lot of clues and movement to keep re-engaging the Rougarou. In the meanwhile, other encounters are going to hurt your 'gators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
We just stayed away from it until we had stacked up pretty well on clues, then tied it down and cured it. Didn't feel hard.
And yes, we followed those rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about getting R3 successfully? If so:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You did realize that all of the conditions needed to be met, not just one of them?

As I would say that is considerably harder than just damaging it as you need to have clues, have damaged it, managed to get a trap attached to it, and also met one of the special text goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldan985 wrote:
We just stayed away from it until we had stacked up pretty well on clues, then tied it down and cured it. Didn't feel hard.
And yes, we followed those rules.

It's important to be humble about how well you followed the rules - it's very common for people to play AHLCG for more than year while missing some Rule or Scenario instruction. If you had well built decks and decent draws, it's certainly possible that you found CotR to be disappointingly easy without missing anything, but without a more detailed Session Report, it's impossible for the rest of us to know whether or not some rule misinterpretation was involved. Don't take that personally - it's a logical assumption simply because so many rules are easy to overlook or misread, not because we assume your party is especially inexperienced or illiterate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rougarou scenario is very precarious rules-wise. It's very easy to forget you need to spend an action AND 1 or 2 clues to even engage it, or that you cannot attack it after evading it, or that it runs away immediately after dealing damage to him, or that it retaliates etc. And that's not even accounting for various location and encounter deck effects which are so easy to overlook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
No, I think we got all of that. I mean, that's not to say we're great about the rules. First time we encountered Whippoorwills, we just kicked them up and down the board because we just overread the part about them having to be engaged first. We made various other mistakes, too.

Really, I think we were just too advanced for the scenario. We put it in a Dunwich campaign as filler because one player couldn't make it, and had I think 15 XP in our decks, so we dealt with most dangers pretty easily. Noticeably, we had our Seeker use Deciphered Reality to pick up five or six clues in one go, after the Rougarou had dropped them all over.

(Didn't get much out of the scenario either, rules-wise. We ended up with 1 XP more than we had spent going in, plus our main fighter is now occasionally a werewolf. It was enjoyable, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.