Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! I wanted to share a solo variant that I developed. I love this game but really love a good solo roll-and-write. Luckily, with some minor tweaking, I was able to capture the essence of the game, offer a solo experience, and still put forth some interesting game decisions.

You can download it for free. You don't need anything but what comes in the box!

I would also love your feedback on the variant if you have any. Thank you very much for checking it out!

• [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Devine
United States
Reno
NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the designer of Harvest Dice. Hello everyone, nice to meet you. I appreciate the applause, but please remain seated

When I was designing Harvest Dice, players had requested an option to play it solo. I tried several variations and frankly, they just sucked. They were either really boring, or so far off of the real game that it wasn't fair to call it the same game.

Matthew contacted me on twitter to tell me he was working on this and asked if I could give it a try. WOW! Honestly WOW, what Matthew put together really does feel like Harvest Dice but being played solo. He even figured out a really simple and interesting way to simulate the market mechanic. The game is also challenging, I think I have won once so far....but it was close! Thank you so much for making this Matt, I know a lot of people are interested in a solo mode, and you have designed a truly excellent option for those players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cotgreave
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the game and the solo variant. It has kept my family entertained through our two week summer vacation. It is excellent.

I tried the solo variant today. Love it. Two comments:

The rules mention once per game using the pip value instead. Can you clarify this?

Second, it is possible to 'game' the solo rules: there is no obligation to plant. Thus you can keep feeding the pig and ensure that the market pot only contains veg which will not take the market to 6. Doing that boosts all your veg scores to big numbers. I found it easy to get high scores that way.

It's no big deal, it's great to have the game, and its solo variant. But I did just want to let you know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Johansson
Sweden
Angered, Göteborg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played the solo variant,and yes,
those solo rules doesn't say so, but I assume the planting
rules are just like the original game that you have to plant if possible...

and you don't get veggie points if you haven't done any planting....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GravyAnecdote wrote:
Thank you for the game and the solo variant. It has kept my family entertained through our two week summer vacation. It is excellent.

I tried the solo variant today. Love it. Two comments:

The rules mention once per game using the pip value instead. Can you clarify this?

Second, it is possible to 'game' the solo rules: there is no obligation to plant. Thus you can keep feeding the pig and ensure that the market pot only contains veg which will not take the market to 6. Doing that boosts all your veg scores to big numbers. I found it easy to get high scores that way.

It's no big deal, it's great to have the game, and its solo variant. But I did just want to let you know!

Hey there! Glad you're enjoying the solo variant!

For feeding the token, it's basically one freebie to use up a die without actually doing anything with it. Since the pig scores less and less points the more you feed it, you may want to skip a big die result by feeding the token and marking no points. I'll clarify this in the rules and update them.

As for the "gaming" you suggested, the game still ends the way it normally does, either by filling up the pig or by filling up one market. So you can totally avoid planting, but it will likely result in a low score.

I hope this helps clarify things. I've put in a couple clarifiers to the rules that I'll be uploading shortly. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mara Jade
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This solo variant is perfect, well done !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wells
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for sharing this! I've played it a couple times now and it's definitely fun!

One question: can the Pig Power be used to change values on the Market roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gravelyn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneralDibs wrote:
Thank you for sharing this! I've played it a couple times now and it's definitely fun!

One question: can the Pig Power be used to change values on the Market roll?

I would say it can be used the same way it can be in the regular rules of the game, but the rules don't specifically say one way or the other. I think the intent is that it's only on your rolls, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.