Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play around with using turrets that use rules similar to how they'll be in 2.0. I think that one or more of the recent ships have rules for turrets with shifting arcs? But I'm not sure, or how the rules handle.

I have some sheets of clear plastic that I thought I might cut down to the same size as the ship bases, and mark them to show four facings (forward, back, right, left) for turrets. I would use some small marker to show which quadrant a ship's turret faces, and make changing the arc an action.

Is this about how it would seem to work in 2.0, or about how it works on a few current ships? I'd appreciate ideas and suggestions. It sounds like it would make turrets more fun.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Here's explanations of all the 1.0 Firing Arcs. Including the Shadowcaster's mobile firing arc.

Excerpt

Ships like the Shadow Caster have a mobile firing arc, which occupies any one of the four quadrants indicated by the solid lines printed on its ship token. The quadrant that the mobile firing arc currently occupies is indicated by the facing of the pointer.

Setup: When a ship with a mobile firing arc is placed into the play area during setup, select one of its four quadrants and assign the mobile firing arc to that quadrant, and move the pointer to face the selected quadrant to indicate the mobile firing arc's position. The mobile firing arc occupies the entirety of the selected quadrant.

When attacking with its primary weapon, a ship with a mobile firing arc may attack an enemy ship that is at Range 1-3 and inside its primary and/or mobile firing arc.

When attacking with a secondary weapon, the ship must still target an enemy ship inside its primary firing arc (unless otherwise specified).

I assume a 2.0 turret would be rotated during the what 1.0 calls the action phase (whatever they'll officially call it) prior to the combat phase.

Note a turret isn't an "arc" it's a field of fire outside your (wedge shaped on the ship base) firing arc that FFG rarely calls it that. They did in a 2.0 unboxing. As Frank at FFG notes elsewhere there is no 360 deg firing arc in the game.

http://xwing-miniatures.wikia.com/wiki/Firing_arc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One additional wrinkle is that some ships (Falcon and K-Wing for sure) have dual turrets. So instead of a turret indicator facing just forward (like the Shadowcaster might do) your dual turret would face both forward and backward, and you decide where to shoot during the combat phase. It's still not 100% (360 degrees) coverage like the 1.0 rules, but it's a bit more flexible / forgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also some turret rotations are red or part of chained actions, so you need to look at the new pilot cards. Not all pilots have the same actions, although I haven't seen this affect turrets yet. Upgrades do affect your turret actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They touch on Rebel turrets in this video around 23:00 min plus with the K-wing, YT-1300 and YT-2400.

It’s an action to reposition (turn it on the base).

Paraphrasing:

They call it Double arc primary turret weapon symbol represents turrets on top and bottom of a ship and it fires 180 deg mobile coverage so no ship has a 360 deg coverage field of fire anymore. but basically you can fire right and left or forward and aft ship base quadrants.

They show the punch board piece at 23:40 how it points to two opposite quadrants of coverage.

Also the proverbial donut hole in which 1.0 couldn’t attack at range 1 on the YT-2400 2.0 with Sensor Blindspot it has half attack instead of no attack.

At 35:00 they have a gunner upgrade Han Solo

X-Wing 2.0 - Rebel Alliance Conversion Kit Unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVYf-51oeqg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mork Toblerone
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. It's interesting that the 2.0 rules would make turrets cover two opposite facings, as opposed to choosing two quadrants (for example, forward and right). I guess that imposes another limitation that makes them more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dual-facing turrets are limited to certain ships, such as the YT series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought smaller ships had to choose a side, front/back/right/left, as an action if they wanted to move the turret. BOLS game demo has a turreted ship in action if you are interested in seeing it in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

robert t wrote:
I thought smaller ships had to choose a side, front/back/right/left, as an action if they wanted to move the turret.

yeah it's an action in the action bar to turn the piece on the ship base.

robert t wrote:
BOLS game demo has a turreted ship in action if you are interested in seeing it in action.

The one with Frank Brooks. yeah that's a single facing ion canon upgrade turret upgrade (the action icon is on the upgrade card not the ship card) so it's not top and bottom separate turrets like the K-wing, YT-1300 and YT-2400, hopefully they shows in action soon.

Star Wars: X-Wing 2 0 Game Demo | BoLS Bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVO3aLQ2Cis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.