6 Posts

World in Flames» Forums » General

Subject: Collectors Edition - Denmark Straight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Lloyd
England
flag msg tools
While admiring the maps of my freshly delivered Collectors Edition I noticed that Iceland is in the Norwegian Sea.

Did it not used to be in an additional sea area called Denmark Straight? That is still in the Matrix version of the game.

I owned FE and a couple of earlier editions and I seem to recall there was a Denmark Straight Sea area previously. I may be wrong when did it drop out of the map design and why?

I assume it is deliberate and intended to reflect the reality of the shorter Great Circle route which was not so accurately portrayed with more sea areas on the north edge of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
RSLloyd wrote:
While admiring the maps of my freshly delivered Collectors Edition I noticed that Iceland is in the Norwegian Sea.

Did it not used to be in an additional sea area called Denmark Straight? That is still in the Matrix version of the game.

I owned FE and a couple of earlier editions and I seem to recall there was a Denmark Straight Sea area previously. I may be wrong when did it drop out of the map design and why?

I assume it is deliberate and intended to reflect the reality of the shorter Great Circle route which was not so accurately portrayed with more sea areas on the north edge of the map.

IIRC Harry did say something about correcting errors in map projection from WIFFE; that could well be one of the things he meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I don't have the maps with me now, but yes, a LOT of time was spent on the maps. A huge amount of research went into exact differences - the discussions were so detailed that we had differences based on map projections used, we wanted to make sure all of the maps represented the same scheme. I'm not sure if they settled on Mercator but this was a major project. Lots of info on rails, roads, etc.

Note the difference in the sea zones for the Mediterranean, they are substantial. So as Wendell said, any changes here were based on a lot of time spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Note the difference in the sea zones for the Mediterranean, they are substantial.

That's almost the first thing I noticed about the new maps. I like the changes. I wonder if minor ports like Trapani will become more important for Italy now (and La Spezia perhaps less important?). I'm really looking forward to trying it out. (Setting up France now, so soon!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lloyd
England
flag msg tools
Thanks for these replies. The maps are a definite advance on previous editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
Quote:
Note the difference in the sea zones for the Mediterranean, they are substantial.

That's almost the first thing I noticed about the new maps. I like the changes. I wonder if minor ports like Trapani will become more important for Italy now (and La Spezia perhaps less important?). I'm really looking forward to trying it out. (Setting up France now, so soon!)

No question la Spezia was the port of choice in FE for the Italian fleet. Now there are a lot of choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.