Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Gender-altering art for core set investigators? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vinny B
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Has anyone tried this, or seen this done well?

Just to be clear, I'm not really interested in discussing the game's investigator cards' gender issues. (Well, I sort of am, but I suspect that would quickly derail everything else.) What I am looking for are ideas and suggestions regarding what to adjust, and how to adjust it. Chest size isn't particularly definitive for any of the original five investigators, so I feel like adjusting some facial features (and maybe the titles?) might suffice... but which? I am also kind of clueless as to what kind of ... art supplies? are best for modifying cards.

I have a lot more googling to do myself, and may update this if anyone cares, but figured I'd see if anyone has already done some of the work, either for AHLCG or board games more generally.

Edit: corrected (bolded) my over-generalization

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean, I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but if you buy the Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion, you'll have a male and female version of each class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave it my best.

Damn it, Jakub Rozalski makes it look so easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Dorpmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I gave it my best.

Damn it, Jakub Rozalski makes it look so easy!

Honestly, that really looks like a male now (although from the Victorian era, but eh, close enough)

Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably shouldn't ask, but at the cost of derailing everything: which gender issues do you think the game has? Arkham Horror is one of the few games with plenty of both male and female characters in all classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ren3 wrote:
I probably shouldn't ask, but at the cost of derailing everything: which gender issues do you think the game has? Arkham Horror is one of the few games with plenty of both male and female characters in all classes.

And all the best characters are either female or Rex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Ren3 wrote:

Some people prefer playing characters of their own gender but still want to try all the characters. Myth and some other games caters to this crowd supplying characters with both genders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hm. Honestly, I don't see how that really works with Arkham style characters. They all have really extensive backstories and artwork. I mean, how would you do something like Investigators of Arkham, if every character had two versions? Twice the artwork? Every story twice with some pronouns and names switched out? Seems unworkable to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LoPresto
United States
Lansing
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mosep wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

Some people prefer playing characters of their own gender but still want to try all the characters. Myth and some other games caters to this crowd supplying characters with both genders.

But OP said there are gender issues. Again EH has a plenty of male and female characters. I'm not sure if it is split 50/50 but it is pretty close.

If you think it is an issue that not every character can be your gender. That is fine, but I wouldn't say that is a "gender issue with the game". That is just someone wanting everything their way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before this becomes too much of a firestorm:

Roslyn Banks
Skids => no change needed, though cellmate was probably Brenda
Adam Wendies
Angus Baker
Davey Walker

Jen Culver
Jimmy Barnes
Ashcan Pat and Duchess
Joey Samaras
Rey Murphy

Loren Hayes
Aphra Florinda (I'm not familiar with Aphra Behn's work so I picked the first character I found)
Mary Harrington and Sammy
Stefan de Gouges

Google tells me these are both boy or girl names, but I'll leave them to someone who knows better.
Akachi Onyele
Minh Thi Phan

Kelly Wright
Orson Downs
Lisa Anderson
Sister Marta
Fannie Edwards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
CSerpent wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

Not much of a change from Eldritch then, where all the best characters are either female or Kane. (Unrelated, can't wait to see what they do with Kane in AHLCG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The girls are on top in Elder Sign too: Amanda and Jenny are easily the two best investigators there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
I think some characters are really going to suffer from the fact there's no charisma or influence stat in the LCG. I mean, the Parley action is already weird, falling under intellect.

Charlie Kane... the most direct translation of his ability in Eldritch Horror would be to copy Charles Ross Esquire, which I don't think is ideal. It's what he does in Eldritch, though. He could maybe trade actions, but that's another one that's well replicated by cards already.

In Arkham Horror, he's good at getting allies, including allies that have already been rmoved from the game. Maybe an ability modelled on Charisma or Calling in Favours, though that would step on the expedition leader's toes.

His Mansions of Madness ability is quite dull (they mostly are, really. Investigator diversity really is a weakness of that game). It would be something like "Gain +1 to tests if there's another investigator at your location".

So, make him a guardian (for leadership, teamwork and other similar cards), but give him some ability to generate more resources or buy assets and events cheaper, maybe for everyone at his location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
flag msg tools
Flattery is the…
badge
…currency of the court
mbmbmbmbmb
I still would like to know why the gender is an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
The_Filbert13 wrote:
mosep wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

But OP said there are gender issues. Again EH has a plenty of male and female characters. I'm not sure if it is split 50/50 but it is pretty close.

If you think it is an issue that not every character can be your gender. That is fine, but I wouldn't say that is a "gender issue with the game". That is just someone wanting everything their way.

Although It is not an issue for me personally, I regard it can be an issue for some people as it would be pretty cheap to supply an alternative gender card for each character.

The business case would be dependent on how large the demand is.It would confuse the lore that is built up around the each character across the different arkham games do I doubt we will see this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
I still would like to know why the gender is an issue.

Same. OP specifically said "discussing the game's gender issues" -- if it's just a matter of not being able to always play a character with the same gender as you, then all games have that issue except perhaps a few exceptions such as Legends of Andor where all classes have a male and female art option. That's why I thought maybe OP was getting at something in particular.

Weltenreiter wrote:
CSerpent wrote:
Ren3 wrote:

Not much of a change from Eldritch then, where all the best characters are either female or Kane. (Unrelated, can't wait to see what they do with Kane in AHLCG)

Lies lies lies, Rex is the best in Eldritch Horror too and nobody can convince me otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LoPresto
United States
Lansing
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

[/q]

Although It is not an issue for me personally, I regard it can be an issue for some people as it would be pretty cheap to supply an alternative gender card for each character.

The business case would be dependent on how large the demand is.It would confuse the lore that is built up around the each character across the different arkham games do I doubt we will see this.[/q]

I agree it can be a issue for players (and a fair one), but again I don't think it is a issue with the game. And it might be separating hairs but I think it is an important difference.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play a character that represents yourself. Yet, when a game such as this has such a large cast of characters and it is based on lore. I think it is silly to claim there is a problem because characters can't be customized.

Looking at video games you have some like Mass Effect where you can be either gender or a game like the Witcher series were you're playing a character you can't customize. It is fine to prefer once method or the other (hand crafting a story for a character, or having a more flexible story for multiple genders) but I don't think you can say either way is a "problem or wrong".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
flag msg tools
Flattery is the…
badge
…currency of the court
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny how some people like to role-play and choose all the personality traits and body characteristics that they themselves do not own in RL, but the gender is a big no-no. Sad really. Gender has zero impact on this game, all characters are unique. If you can't get over playing a different gender in a board game, I feel sorry for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sebastianmarkow wrote:
It's funny how some people like to role-play and choose all the personality traits, but the gender is a big no-no. Sad really. Gender has zero impact on this game, all characters are unique. If you can't get over playing a different gender in a board game, I feel sorry for you.

Yeah. I like putting myself in the shoes of someone different from myself. So many different personalities, back stories, etc. These are fleshed out characters with lore behind them, not just "Male Fighter" or "Female Cleric."

My first Arkham Files game was Mansions of Madness, and right away I was favorably impressed by the gender balance of the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
Croatia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham files detail very specific characters with rich and immersive backstories and motives for being in the game in the first place. These are not some generic nameless priest/warrior/sorc figures that can be easily switched gender for gender without any concern or impact for the sense of their personal story.
For exaple a female car mechanic in the 20s or a male gangster in the same era. Just switching names and drawing mustaches wont really make sense if their backstory falls appart.

But i guess whatever rocks your boat?
For me a well written character bio with plausable motives and an interesting place in the world is way more important then their cleavage or the lack of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldan985 wrote:
I think some characters are really going to suffer from the fact there's no charisma or influence stat in the LCG. I mean, the Parley action is already weird, falling under intellect.

I'm not sure that Parley is strongly tied to intellect, even though that's the skill test specified for most (?) Parley actions to date. It seems clear that Charlie should have a Parley bonus, but it could (should?) be independent of his stat line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mosep wrote:
The business case would be dependent on how large the demand is.It would confuse the lore that is built up around the each character across the different arkham games do I doubt we will see this.

The business case against it is that they're building a brand on these characters. They aren't placeholders; they're the Investigators of the Arkham Files™, defined through multiple books, cards, and games. There's no way they're going to start messing with them and the lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
Eldan985 wrote:

I'm not sure that Parley is strongly tied to intellect, even though that's the skill test specified for most (?) Parley actions to date. It seems clear that Charlie should have a Parley bonus, but it could (should?) be independent of his stat line.

Parley has no skill check at all as often as it's an Intellect check (I count 8 and 8), and it's frequently a Will check (I count 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lindberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
CSerpent wrote:
mosep wrote:

The business case against it is that they're building a brand on these characters. They aren't placeholders; they're the Investigators of the Arkham Files™, defined through multiple books, cards, and games. There's no way they're going to start messing with them and the lore.

A fair point. Hopefully BGG could fill the void supplying alternative gender characters as the OP wished. Is there a character template to facilitate this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mosep wrote:
CSerpent wrote:
mosep wrote:

A fair point. Hopefully BGG could fill the void supplying alternative gender characters as the OP wished. Is there a character template to facilitate this?

I believe most people use the AHLCG plugin for Strange Aeons for custom investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.