Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Watch tower and artillery are situtionally average at best, mostly bad rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that you cant activate these into a battle, the only way to use them is preemptively, essentially 'calling' your battle. If this is into a hostile terrain they can either evac, or reinforce as they have the information edge on you.

It is also inferior because it is a two round action: build then move units in. This is into a single territory, where it contrast imagine first turn recruit then move. Its same number of actions, but you are not limited to a single location, effectively guarding multiple adjacent locations instead.

Lastly, even if you build them, other players can merely jump into the zone before they get placed, nullifying them.

Long story short, they are not that good at all, and its almost always better to just go 'ground and pound' (guys/move)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'm going to be playing my first real game this weekend so I will see if I agree after my first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
... ...
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:
Given that you cant activate these into a battle, the only way to use them is preemptively, essentially 'calling' your battle. If this is into a hostile terrain they can either evac, or reinforce as they have the information edge on you.

It is also inferior because it is a two round action: build then move units in. This is into a single territory, where it contrast imagine first turn recruit then move. Its same number of actions, but you are not limited to a single location, effectively guarding multiple adjacent locations instead.

Lastly, even if you build them, other players can merely jump into the zone before they get placed, nullifying them.

Long story short, they are not that good at all, and its almost always better to just go 'ground and pound' (guys/move)

I think they are mostly useful defensively and humans generally, for this very reason, benefit from having an early initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:

I tend to use them more to ward people away from areas. More threat than actual bite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I did finally play my first game this weekend, 3 actually, in a row.

I played as the humans twice and in my experience the watchtower and artillery structures are excellent deterrents. I dropped a few and activated them to gently encourage my opponent to take a different route which ended up working in my favor.

My first game was machines vs humans and I turtled at first. Big mistake, haha! Our second game was machines vs humans again and I effectively controlled the map by blocking key areas with structures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace base
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just build guys then move out with real units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon0085 wrote:
Why not just build guys then move out with real units?

Because the card system makes it so rhat the optimal move cannot be recruit and or move all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oak Wolf
msg tools
mb
They're a threat that cannot be removed with drones, too. It forces the opponent to commit more effort to take the area. Even if you do get the region, it might prove too costly. This allows humans to send their precious troops elsewhere. I personally like them even though it's not something you will use every turn. With the expansion it's something you can switch too if you dislike them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.