Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't regularly listen to podcasts in general on any topic. I have however, listened to a few DT podcasts including Mandi & Suzanne's.

They were all okay to good, I'm a bigger fan of Board Game Breakfast & Board Game Blender, the podcasts don't really appeal to me....on any topic, even political.

Why such a hate on Mandi & Suzanne's podcasts. I mean it seems to me like a real back lash.

The defense seems to be, "well, it's not because they are girls" but then seemingly followed by, "I just don't like them".....

What's your opinion on any of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I don't regularly listen to podcasts in general on any topic. I have however, listened to a few DT podcasts including Mandi & Suzanne's.

They were all okay to good, I'm a bigger fan of Board Game Breakfast & Board Game Blender, the podcasts don't really appeal to me....on any topic, even political.

Why such a hate on Mandi & Suzanne's podcasts. I mean it seems to me like a real back lash.

The defense seems to be, "well, it's not because they are girls" but then seemingly followed by, "I just don't like them".....

What's your opinion on any of this?

Could you provide a link to one of said podcasts in question? Would like to hear what the hubbub is about. Also, I am always on the lookout for new gaming podcasts (still bummed at the demise of The Noise Before Defeat)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the link to The DT podcast page, however, the hosts are not listed which is one complaint some listeners have.

http://www.dicetower.com/dice-tower-network/all-episodes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of them or the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah what is the actual issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched some of their stuff when it is on Youtube. They're okay. They certainly aren't going to do a deep dive into a game or certain topics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Yeah what is the actual issue?

Here's a link to some links.

Dice Tower added some new podcast hosts. Some people do not enjoy them as much as the original casters, Tom & Eric. In expressing their disapproval, some people were jerks. In expressing their disapproval of the people who disapproved, even more people were jerks.

Apparently.

I couldn't find any actual jerk posts, but I got bored and stopped looking. Being bored & The Dice Tower go hand in hand, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Also, OP, you get a demerit for slop-posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Piquet
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the point is to ... ? Point out that somewhere else there are people unhappy about something related to a show not everyone listen ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demerit, noted
soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
So, the point is to ... ? Point out that somewhere else there are people unhappy about something related to a show not everyone listen ?

Yeah, this just smacks of looking for a controversy when here really is none to be found. I think a few idiots on bgg in the past complained about the show being "too feminine" or something dumb like that. I assume that is what this thread is about, trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
spoon wrote:
Dice Tower added some new podcast hosts. Some people do not enjoy them as much as the original casters, Tom & Eric.

Part of the is issues that changed the hosts of an existing show. Instead of Tom and Eric doing every show, they only do every other show with Mandi and Suzanne alternating with them. The chanced received (for the board game world) heavy criticism.

Tom has flat out said he knows the disproportionate criticism is due to Mandi and Suzanne being female. Some of the critics are outraged they Tom would suggest such a thing. Other critics are outraged that Tom inflicted Mandi and Suzanne on them as misguided forced diversification.

It's a small controversy, but a real one. One covering sexism and diversity in our own little corner of the world. Unspoken (probably because board gamers generally try to be nice/polite people) is the fact that neither Mandi nor Suzanne are Caucasian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the Dice Tower podcast quite a bit. However, I don't listen to the ones that consist of Mandi and Suzanne. Why?

I find their voices, inflections, and vocal mannerisms irritating. I can handle them for a short bit interspersed with other hosts, but by themselves it is near painful for me to listen. I have tried several times but there are just some shows I can't listen to due to the hosts.

The males on Blue Pew, Pink Peg are a good example and a couple of the hosts on The Secret Cabal make me reach for that OFF button.

With Mandi & Suzanne is has nothing to do with their gender, it's just I don't find their podcast listenable. No reason to complain or raise the issue on the internet, I just don't listen to those episodes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Unspoken (probably because board gamers generally try to be nice/polite people) is the fact that neither Mandi nor Suzanne are Caucasian.

Having never watched any videos containing the two ladies, I had no idea of this.

Sadly, a lot of folks run to misogyny and racism as an explanation when someone expresses dislike in something.

shakeshakeshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never listened to a dice tower podcast and can say without hesitation I will likely never listen to one. I find myself quickly annoyed by the hosts of podcasts and there's only a couple I listen to right now. It seems most likely that people dislike the change and/or don't like the new hosts rather than misogyny, but then, I'm frequently surprised when I witness just how much misogyny there is in the world. So, while I wouldn't come right out and claim the controversy is because they are women, I also wouldn't dismiss any of those claims out of hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that women and minorities aren't accepted in positions of influence never has to do with the fact that they're women or minorities.

There's always other reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
The fact that women and minorities aren't accepted in positions of influence never has to do with the fact that they're women or minorities.

Oh come on now, this is about a stupid podcast, not a position of authority or influence. Not everything is always racism or misogyny.

Sometimes it's for legitimate reasons and sometimes it's not, but it's not some arbitrary thing where it's 100% sexism and racism all the time. It seems like you always assume it is (at least per your internet persona).

Heck, if you consider current college enrollment and graduation rates, I would expect the pendulum to start swinging heavily towards women in positions of authority or influence over the next few decades. Are you going to start assuming everything is anti-men or anti-white when they are underrepresented?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
dkearns wrote:

Well, clearly not in this case.

I mean, you had other reasons. Her vocal inflections are kinda grating I guess.

Its weird. There is misogyny, racism, and discrimination in this world but no one ever admits to being misogynist, racist or discriminatory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
okiedokie wrote:
With Mandi & Suzanne is has nothing to do with their gender, it's just I don't find their podcast listenable. No reason to complain or raise the issue on the internet, I just don't listen to those episodes.

Personally, I suspect this is behind a lot of what's going on. I too find Mandi unlistenable, as I find a lot of podcast and internet "personalities" unlistenable. I think a lot of the people complaining about them genuinely don't enjoy them.

But I also think the volume of complaints is being driven by sexism. When yet another dumpy white guy does a podcast people don't like they just get ignored. But with these two, people feel the need to put their criticisms in writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the criticism was that people were getting less of Eric and Tom, which is what they were come to the channel specifically for, though at the same time as putting Suzanne and Mandi in the podcast,
they also introduced Dice Tower Tonight.- with Tom and Eric - so its still possible to listen to the old combo albeit in video form.

There are apparently still people about who listen to podcasts, but don’t watch videos.Seems a small niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
mbmbmbmbmb
Obidiah wrote:
Some of the criticism was that people were getting less of Eric and Tom, which is what they were come to the channel specifically for, though at the same time as putting Suzanne and Mandi in the podcast,
they also introduced Dice Tower Tonight.- with Tom and Eric - so its still possible to listen to the old combo albeit in video form.

There are apparently still people about who listen to podcasts, but don’t watch videos.Seems a small niche.

Podcasts can be listened to passively, so while exercising or commuting or whatever, watching video requires your attention, when I’m extremely busy or have to travel I watch very little video, but burn through quite a few podcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obidiah wrote:

Podcasts are vastly more portable than video. You can preload them on mobile devices or what have you, and obviously the storage density is better. Plus your not missing out on visuals while driving/exercising/etc which is what the podcast market is more aimed at.

To the original topic - I too pretty much only watch/listen to DT stuff for Tom and Sam. I like Zee's personality but we have like no overlap in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Obidiah wrote:

Podcasts can be listened to passively, so while exercising or commuting or whatever, watching video requires your attention, when I’m extremely busy or have to travel I watch very little video, but burn through quite a few podcasts.

In addition, for those of us with limited internet connection, podcasts are easier and to download beforehand and much smaller in space. I not only listen to podcasts, but often use some youtube-to-mp3-converter to download talky videos to listen to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
okiedokie wrote:

Personally, I suspect this is behind a lot of what's going on. I too find Mandi unlistenable, as I find a lot of podcast and internet "personalities" unlistenable. I think a lot of the people complaining about them genuinely don't enjoy them.

But I also think the volume of complaints is being driven by sexism. When yet another dumpy white guy does a podcast people don't like they just get ignored. But with these two, people feel the need to put their criticisms in writing.

I don't think it's as much about "It's women, so I'll complain" as it is "Something I had once enjoyed has changed, so I'll complain." I'm not saying that sexism isn't present, just that I don't see it being the driving factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:

I poked around on the linked threads and this seemed to be the vibe I got. People wanted to listen to Tom and Eric and weren't getting that and or weren't simply enjoying what was being added in. Again, I watched them on Youtube. If I was subscribed to a podcast with Tom and Eric, I would be put off by the new content as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.