Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Games [+] Recommend [+] Supply [+] Demand [+] [View All]
L MARSH
United Kingdom
Bracknell
England
flag msg tools
Hey,

If any of you have played the game Power Grid, you will know that a large part of the game is made up of a "Supply and Demand" based resource system. As players take certain resources, to the following players the cost of those resources is increased. Likewise, as more resources are added back to the pool, the cheaper those resources become.

As this provides an additional element of strategy to a previously simple concept of collecting resources, could anyone recommend any games that use this mechanic?

Let me know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clans of Caledonia has a dynamic market. It uses a token to track the current cost rather than actually placing the resources you're collecting on spaces, like in Power Grid, but it should work out essentially the same.

If I recall correctly it's also in Glen More, but only at costs of 1, 2 and 3, so it might not be exactly what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L MARSH
United Kingdom
Bracknell
England
flag msg tools
Clans of Caledonia sounds great! Something with a dynamic market is exactly what I am looking for. Considering that the object of a game requires thought and strategy, this market-based system sounds like it would add an interesting spin to it.

Thank you - I will add it to my wishlist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
bigcookie1234 wrote:
Hey,

If any of you have played the game Power Grid, you will know that a large part of the game is made up of a "Supply and Demand" based resource system. As players take certain resources, to the following players the cost of those resources is increased. Likewise, as more resources are added back to the pool, the cheaper those resources become.

As this provides an additional element of strategy to a previously simple concept of collecting resources, could anyone recommend any games that use this mechanic?

Let me know

Off the top of my head, I think these games focused pretty well on that, at least they have dynamic markets/valuations:
-Planet Steam
-Container
-The Secret of Monte Cristo
-Mars Needs Mechanics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L MARSH
United Kingdom
Bracknell
England
flag msg tools
Awesome - My wishlist is coming along nicely with those suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
bigcookie1234 wrote:
Awesome - My wishlist is coming along nicely with those suggestions

Not sure about availability of these, but you can always look for used copies on BGG Market.

I think Container is actually getting an upcoming reprint:
Container: 10th Anniversary Jumbo Edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L MARSH
United Kingdom
Bracknell
England
flag msg tools
Despite being an avid boardgamer - I only actually signed up for a BGG account yesterday so will have to have a look on there and see if anyone in the UK has copies

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Wolff
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador. You can use factories which push up the price of the resource (sugar, gold, spices) because it is using up the supply or you can use colonies which push down the price (by providing more supply).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Brass there is a dynamic market for coal and iron.

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glen More has this type of market, although it's not as integral to the game as in Power Grid. It's OOP right now, but there's supposed to be a 2.0 version coming at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Goldring
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Winter is coming...
mbmbmbmbmb

First, welcome to BGG!

Akrotiri is a 2-player game with a mechanism akin to what you've specified, with the purpose to help fund the excavation of Greek ruins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy Low Sell High is all about this mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reynolds
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A light game that is 100% based on fluctuating market is Stockpile

I would agree that Clans of Caledonia should be on your wishlist - My wife and I have been loving this game, and she typically doesn't enjoy the moving market.

A couple other games I would recommend are Tesla vs. Edison: War of Currents and especially Rockwell with the Fluctuating Market expansion. The latter is my all time favorite game with the market mechanism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reynolds
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Glen More has this type of market, although it's not as integral to the game as in Power Grid. It's OOP right now, but there's supposed to be a 2.0 version coming at some point.

Lunarchitects is a re-themed version of this game, although the market can really only go up or down a couple spaces for each resource. Still an amazing game! But, I dont usually think to group it with other fluctuating market games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkwright - There is a worker pool that determines how much you need to pay for your workers. If the pool of unemployed workers is high, labor is cheap . . . but since so many people are not working, the demand for your products is lower because people can't afford them. If the pool of unemployed workers is low, labor is more expensive . . . but since more people are employed they can afford to buy your products.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L MARSH
United Kingdom
Bracknell
England
flag msg tools
OH wow! Didn't realise there was a game based around this mechanic
Will have to check that one out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L MARSH
United Kingdom
Bracknell
England
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your messages so far! Filling up my wish list very quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Kowalczyk
Poland
Łódź
flag msg tools
mbmb
Archipelago has this mechanism developed very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crude: The Oil Game
Wealth of Nations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.