Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everybody! My aunt and uncle are coming down this summer with their two grandchildren ages 6 and 7. I need a pretty specific recommendation; I've never bought kids' games before because I don't have any, and the 7 year old has a couple of developmental problems that limits the choice of games.

The 6 year old is precocious, so we shouldn't have any problems with her. The 7 year old has 60% ADHD, though, and has had severe problems reading. I don't know how bad it is, but I think he basically doesn't do any reading at all.

Are there any games that would be fun for both adults and little ones that don't involve much reading/can hold the attention of an ADHD-afflicted 7 year old? I'm thinking something from the HABA line, but again, I have absolutely no kids' game experience, so I wouldn't even know where to start.

I don't know if the kids have played any board games. I only see them maybe once a year. I would assume they have probably played stuff like Sorry and Monopoly, but I am almost certain they have no hobby game experience whatsoever. Something that could act as a gateway might not be a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stallard
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
We traded with Karsten in the UK Maths Trade!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhino Hero Super Battle is really good- 4 player max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Dancing Eggs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charl van Niekerk
Canada
Wainfleet
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
King of Tokyo... Slight bit of reading, but the theme might really suck them in. My kids love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
How about a push your luck game like Diamant or maybe a card game like Simon's Cat Card Game hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Bugs in the Kitchen
Coconuts
Doodle Quest
ICECOOL
Monopoly Gamer (if they are Nintendo fans)
Tales & Games: The Three Little Pigs
Viva Topo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula T
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
+1 Rhino Hero
Kingdomino
Loopin' Louie
Coconuts
Happy Salmon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Visser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexterity games are usually a win, especially if there isn't a lot of downtime. I think everyone should have a Crokinole board. It even works with my 3 and 5 year olds. Meeple Circus is goofy fun too. 5 year old gets the rules to that one, but not the 3yo. He still likes playing it though. Rhino Hero or RH Super Battle are good, but not necessarily something adults are going to ask to play all the time.

Picture deduction games have worked well with our kids too. Dixit, Codenames Pictures, even Mysterium (with a modified theme) are fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Own all 3 although I haven't played 3 little pigs yet but seems like a good one based on reviews. Outfoxed is probably my highest recommendation it's sort of like clue but everyone is on a team.

Outfoxed!
Tales & Games: The Three Little Pigs
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
+1 ICECOOL
+1 Doodle Quest (more kid friendly than) -- > Loony Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters
+1 Diamant

Another good choice that’s fun for all is Qwirkle.

If you think the theme would appeal, +1 King of Tokyo. My son could play it before he could read. As we turned over cards, we read the aloud. He would then decide which to go for. It worked out well as long as no one took “his” card before he had earned enough cubes. Then things could get ugly.

Castle Panic might also work well if the theme appeals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with kids game has come from my very active(Probably ADHD) nephew who's just a bit over five now. The game's he has enjoyed that are good for people of any age are:
No Thank You, Evil!, A simple Pen and Paper RPG. It's near impossible to get my nephew to sit down and do anything for more then a few minutes, But when I ran him and my mom though a Super Mario adventure I made up for him he sat down and played for about 2 hours,and would have played longer but I had to cut it short because it was bed time. It is being reprinted on kickstarter right now. You might be able to still find a copy at retail though, and you can always get PDFs.

Kingdomino,The turns and total play time are both quick, great for short attention spans. But also rewards good decision making and planning ahead.

Spot it! A simple Speed games No one, child or adult can resist giving this a try .

Doodle Quest A drawing game,not much down time,also the physicality should help keep attention with ADHD.

Dr. Eureka/Go Go Gelato!, Both are dexterity and logic games.Dr eureka is the harder of the two when it comes to the difficulty of the logic required and in have to manipulate smaller pieces. Go Go Gelato has easy logic and larger easier to manipulate Pieces, but does have some tricky stacking. Both have proved to hard for My nephew so far. But your kids are older so they might fare better. And the Physicality and simultaneous play should far well against ADHD.

King of Tokyo, This one can run a bit long, and players can be eliminated early. Also takes a small amount of reading. But it does work even with my nephew who can't read yet at all. I just have to remind him what his the Available cards do.

You can check out some more in this list: Games for kids ; Uncle tested , Nephew / Niece Approved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Botero
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santorini
Problem Picnic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VivaDaddy wrote:

This looks great! No real text and a decent roll and move with a fun haunted house theme. Looks like it has the most likes on the thread so far, so I'll likely get it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Doyle
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd say take a look at Dead Man's Draw.

It's advantages:

- pretty short
- REALLY easy to see cards with big pictures and no text, just a number
- Fun "push your luck" mechanism, turns are quick
- a little bit of "take that" but not too much
- easy to learn and teach
- Pirate theme (hey, who doesn't like pirates?)
- Plays 2-4 and you can buy a second copy to get up to 8 (though I haven't tried this)
- Box contains some expansions/variations for a lot of replayability

And if you like that, the next step up I'd say is Port Royal. A little more going on, also push your luck but everyone gets involved in everyone else's turn. 2-5 players. Only downside is, the card designs are kind of similar and you don't have a "hand" you're looking at them across the table, so it can be a little hard to make out which card is which.

In a similar weight category as Port Royal I'd say is Century: Spice Road. This one also has the advantage of no text on the cards, just a picture and some simple iconography. Probably not so good for color blindness however. Oversize cards too, and nice modern mechanisms that they likely haven't seen before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played a lot of kids' games, and the one I would highly recommend for this very specific purpose is Suspend. We host a monthly game night, and last month some old friends came from out of town. They have a 11 year old who has some of the same issues you describe. My kids brought out Suspend and kept him and his sister entertained for quite a long time with it. And adults can have fun with it too, since it is a visually fun-looking dexterity game that's all about balancing long wiggly metal sticks.

And it's cheap. Something like $15 online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.