Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dynamite and AoO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You throw dynamite at your own location.

Monster does AoO and kills you.

Does the dynamite trigger?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw G.
Poland
Wągrowiec/Poznań
flag msg tools
When you play Dynamite Blast while engaged with enemies, first you spend an action and pay the cost, then each engaged enemy makes an attack of opportunity against you, and then the effects of the card resolve -- but only if you're still alive. If the enemies' attacks defeat you, the effects won't resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchhausen wrote:
If the enemies' attacks defeat you, the effects won't resolve.

Can you support this though with the actual quote from the rules?

If you treat this as a nested sequence, then the trigger that caused the AoO needs to play out after AoO resolves, as per the scenario explained in the FAQ.

On the other hand, the "Elimination" in RR just says that cards in player's control are removed from the game, without specifying if this happens before or after the effects of the cards resolve.

As far as I see it, the rules make it seem you can interpret it in either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're over thinking this based on theme - the idea that Dynamite is a physical object. If it were called "Reckless Roundhouse Kick" and only operated at your Location, it would be more intuitively obvious that Eliminating the Investigator first means that the "kick" never has a chance to land.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Munchhausen wrote:

If you treat this as a nested sequence, then the trigger that caused the AoO needs to play out after AoO resolves, as per the scenario explained in the FAQ.

On the other hand, the "Elimination" in RR just says that cards in player's control are removed from the game, without specifying if this happens before or after the effects of the cards resolve.

This post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
I think you're over thinking this based on theme - the idea that Dynamite is a physical object. If it were called "Reckless Roundhouse Kick" and only operated at your Location, it would be more intuitively obvious that Eliminating the Investigator first means that the "kick" never has a chance to land.

Actually I'm trying to completely disregard the theme and use the RAW principle.

Notice the (1.4 Nested Sequences) part in the FAQ. Absolutely nothing in that section is related to the theme, everything boils down to timing and effect resolving. If I treat AoO as monsters "response" action to my "throw dynamite" action, then the logic presented here would mean the nested sequence needs to resolve itself completely, which means Dynamite eventually explodes.

valvaris wrote:

Thanks. "Because the designer said so" is also a valid answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

Thanks. "Because the designer said so" is also a valid answer.

Actually, someone mentions that the fact that AOO comes before an action, is that you have to divert your attention to work on it, giving your enemies the window of opportunity.

I know you are not looking for a "thematic" explanation, but I find it still viable. XD

Apparently it's Announcement of action -> AoO -> Actual action taken + Resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RRpp7 Dealing Damage/ Horror, bullet point 2. An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount or damage it would take to defeat the card. Therefore when assigning damage from the AoO, you would know that it would defeat you. So you can't initiate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See bullet point 3, just below it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
RRpp7 Dealing Damage/ Horror, bullet point 2. An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount or damage it would take to defeat the card. Therefore when assigning damage from the AoO, you would know that it would defeat you. So you can't initiate it.

Your investigator is not an asset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably the answer here applies also to Sneak Attack (assuming there is another non-exhausted enemy at the location).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
bern1106 wrote:

Bullet point three as stated, the question is does this follow from bullet point two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Montgomery
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Actual ruling aside, I find the failure of the blast to also be thematic: you couldn't get the fuse lit because of the onslaught of attacks. If you really want to go out in a blaze of glory, you really need "I'll see you in hell!" or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Munchhausen wrote:

It also says that if no investigators are left, proceed to no resolution was reached. Though with the information available, this may not be relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
bern1106 wrote:

Bullet point three as stated, the question is does this follow from bullet point two.

Nope, sorry, still not following you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other example that occurred to me is Move to a face down Location. If AoO Eliminates you before you leave your current Location, the Location you were trying to enter is still face down. Dynamite is just modifying an uncategorized Action being attempted by the Investigator, so no Investigator in Play means the Action does not resolve further.

(Quoting mplain' response from the designer makes all this academic, sorry to beat a dead horse)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.