9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Investors to get to Kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Nataluk

New York
msg tools
Hello all, my friend and I have put a lot of time and money into a game and want to do more but really need investors to get our game out in the timeline we are hoping for. Just looking for insights into this journey that any of you have been through. Was it easy to find an investor? Did you go a different route? Are their websites or services I should check out? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The two main routes seem to be:

1. Approach various game publishing companies. Pick the ones that make games similar to yours. Or that make games for a type of gamer that your game would appeal to. The problem is that there are so many new games being designed each year that most game publishers are not looking at new game designs unless you already have a track record.

2. The second approach is through crowdfunding (with kickstarter being the biggest site for new games). First you have to do your research to find a company to build the components and assemble your games. You need to estimate how much it will cost per game. Then you run a crowdfunding campaign. This gives you the money to actually get the game built. Then you have to get all the art work done, etc.

I have a friend who went the kickstarter route and he has been working non stop for a year doing this (he quit his day job). It is a lot of work because you are now essentially an inexperienced self publisher. (I would imagine the second time would be a lot easier.)

Before either of those routes, you need to have a few full functional prototypes (no need for fancy art) being blind playtested hundreds of times.

Other more knowledgeable BGG users will certainly give you much more detailed advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You might want to check out these two resources for advice:

game-design-self-publishing-resource-game-designer

https://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/lessons/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt roy

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying you need to get investors so that you can launch a kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wooten
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most companies are not looking to buy new games, but there are exceptions. You can set up a sell sheet and some of the bigger conventions even do a "speed date" style time where you can pitch your ideas to a few different publishers. http://www.jamesmathe.com/ has a lot of great resouces as well.

If you decide to use KS or some other crowdfunding platform, expect it to be way more work. Some people say you need to charge 3x what production costs will be, but remember there are usually extra costs that pop up so I would recommend doing 5-7x as it will be nearly impossible to get it out the door on your first try without running into lots of delays and/or extra expenses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wooten
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xhaereticusx wrote:

Hopefully not... that sounds like a disaster. Almost as bad as the Kickstarter to fund a Kickstarter nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi Trevor! Generally speaking, actual investors aren't very interested in the hobby game world because the expected profit / return-on-investment isn't very high.

Marc has already described the two common routes to board game publication: (1) Running a Kickstarter yourself to raise money and produce the game yourself, or (2) pitching your game idea to publishers who then publish the game and give you a royalty %.

(Both these routes are hard. There are TONS of games coming out and it's hard to get noticed, both as a self-publisher and as a pitching game designer. I've tried self-publishing, didn't really enjoy having a high-stress low-pay 2nd job , so I pitch to publishers now.)

It sounds like you're planning to publish your game yourself, via KS, is that right? The standard of Kickstarter games is high nowadays, you do indeed need money for artwork and marketing... But I don't think anyone is going to give you money for you to run a Kickstarter. The Kickstarter itself is meant to be the money injection.

This may sound harsh, but if you don't have the spending money necessary to prepare for a Kickstarter campaign (artwork, prototypes, promotion, etc), you should probably forget about becoming a publisher yourself and look to pitch your game to existing publishers instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
HeroesCove wrote:
xhaereticusx wrote:

Hopefully not... that sounds like a disaster. Almost as bad as the Kickstarter to fund a Kickstarter nonsense.

If you only knew how many do that on KS. Most of them do end up like a disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
HeroesCove wrote:
xhaereticusx wrote:

If you only knew how many do that on KS. Most of them do end up like a disaster.
Sure, but then they can have a different crowdfunding attempt to raise equity in a company that has now failed to deliver on multiple Kickstarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.