Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm gearing up for another batch of cards (pnp for Impulse, second edition) and wanting to refine my method. In the past, I've either sprayed my cards with polyurethane or not bothered at all. I'm going to be using 24lb linen paper with some sort of core in between each side -- so here's a poll for your consideration!

Poll
What sort of coating do you apply to your PNP cards?
Acrylic coating link
Polyurethane coating link
No coating at all
Other
      17 answers
Poll created by aaj94

Which one do you use -- and why? How does this affect the color of your cards? How does it affect the durability? Do you apply the coating before or after you glue?

Any advice welcomed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apply the coating early in the process.
Its easier to spray one sided sheets than cards
your print is then more protected before your start handling it for cutting and gluing
I have heard mention that some glues start to fail if exposed to some coatings. I don't know which kind and I have not seen this for myself but it is easily avoided just by doing the coating first.

I use a spray acrylic on my prints. I have yet to do any worthwhile testing on it but so far I have not found it to mess with the color at all and it improves the texture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joy Cohn
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Krylon Polyurethane over white linen textured paper, prior to gluing with 3M spray adhesive. My printer is an HP Officejet.

They had to stay in the garage for a few days due to the smell of the coating.

The cards glued together with no problems and the surfaces are still matt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never coat or glue, just put the cards in sleeves (backed by mtg cards) and play. Works well enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coating is the next step right after printing. Then I glue up to the core, and finally cut.

I used to use the Krylon Acrylic linked and it works well. However it has that nasty, oily smell. Most of the spraying I did had to be outside & the paper sat in a garage for a day or two (smelling up the garage was less objectionable than the house ). Now I use the Minwax Polyurethane linked. I still spray outside, but the smell is far less, and what there is smells like new furniture--since this is meant as a wood finish. Once dry the paper can go right inside.

Between the two, I prefer the Polyurethane final product. It's less sticky and has a nicer finish. So far no noticeable discoloration on finished cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other: 3 mil clear polyester film

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Previously I've used clear spray acrylic (various brands). Recently purchased Minwax Polyurethane gloss and will be trying that for my next batch of cards. Clear acrylic is fine, but it leaves the surface rough and may need buffing. I'm hoping the Minwax will end up with a smoother finish, so we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad P
Romania
flag msg tools
mafman6 wrote:
Apply the coating early in the process.
Its easier to spray one sided sheets than cards
your print is then more protected before your start handling it for cutting and gluing

Listen to this man!
I had to learn this the hard way as I was punching out tokens, every single one had some toner flaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Do you apply the coating before or after you glue?
Before gluing. Had it happen where the clearcoat undid the glue in many spots. Maybe I got it on too thick or didn't use enough glue, but I now glue after the clearcoat and have not had problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.