Hide
6 Posts

Century: Spice Road» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Optimal hand size and draft requirements and game length rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MsgMe MsgMe
msg tools
Has anyone data on how many cards they drafted ? From other post, I understand you usually start by drafting cards, then you start using them/resting. What triggers the transition from those 2 phases ? Counting how many turns you took trough a game could potentially tell you then optimal number of cards to draft.

so, has anyone data on either
1. number of turn played.
2. number of drafted cards.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely the "optimal" number of cards to draft will vary by game and is entirely dependant on what cards are available for you to draft...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gray
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no "optimal" number of cards to draft. I've had some games where I had a core engine of 3 or 4 cards that did most of the work and some games where I used 15+ different cards. It just depends. And sometimes I'm taking cards for the gems on top of them or to make the card "river" move. Also, while most of the card acquisition takes place at the start of the game, I've found myself, at times, taking new cards in the middle or even towards the end of a game to help finish out the gems needed for a critical point card. So there really isn't a formula or "optimal" engine size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MsgMe MsgMe
msg tools
Let put in into other words. Whenever you have to take an action, i see 2 broad categories

#1 Those that add Value to your caravan
1.1 Make a trade or harvest spices
1.2 Establish a trade route (Spice on it)

#2 Those that don't *unproductive*
2.1 Establish a trade route (no spice or not free)
2.2 Fulfill a demand
2.3 Rest

Establish a trade route when there's is a special case as it might add value if it add spice on it or cost you spice if you don't take the 1st one.

Ideally, you want to prioritize #1 actions over #2 as value is what is needed to Fulfill a demand. So you probably want to mech 1.1, 1.2 and 2.1 early in the game to minimize the number of time you have to perform 2.3 (its a dead turn)

I made a little chart and it seems the optimal number of draft cards is based off the total number of actions you take in a game.
#example 1
Say you need 40 category #1 turn to end the game, you could play your 2 actions, rest, repeat... witch would be 19 rest action and no draft action, for a total of 19 category #2 *unproductive* action.
#example 2
As opposed to drafting 5 cards, and resting 5 times getting back the 7 cards each time, for a total of 5+5 = 10 *unproductive* action.
#example 3
drafting 10 cards, you only need to rest 3 times, for a total of 13 *unproductive* actions

Of course, those example assume
-each action has equal value
-you're fully playing your hand before resting.
-you're not resting until you're done purchasing cards.

Now, i lack experience of how many turns a game last but i can guess scoring around 70 points would requires a caravan value of 70, which is 35 actions of 2 points. so 35 turn a game ? how does that sounds ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F F
msg tools
> Of course, those example assume...you're fully playing your hand before resting

Good luck fully playing your hand before resting with any consistency!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think there is an optimal number of cards, since you will sometimes grab card solely for the cubes on them.

How many cards you end up with also heavily depends on what's available at the start. IF the card quality is bad, you usually end up with more cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.