Hide
4 Posts

Kingmaker» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Return to the Crown Deck" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Seabridge
msg tools
Something's been bugging me for a while. Referring to the AH 2nd Ed rules - the phrase "return to the Crown Deck" occurs regularly. In this version of the game there is also a "Crown Card Discard" place on the board...

For Event cards there is an explicit rule about shuffling and re-using discarded Event cards once the Event deck becomes depleted - there is no such rule for the Crown cards.

In another thread on here ( https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1666577/crown-card-discard-... ) it was stated that Crown Cards are placed in the discard section and re-shuffled once the Crown Deck is depleted.

Two questions:

1. Does everyone else playing agree that "return to Crown Deck" means placing in the Crown Card discard section?
2. Since there is no mention of re-shuffling the Crown Deck then, strictly according to the rules, it seems to me that once the initial Crown Deck has been exhausted, that's it, ie no re-shuffling, only those Crown cards in the Chancery can enter the game from herein on?

I appreciate there are may well be house rules that say something different, I'm just trying to pin down how the original game intended it to be (or, to be precise, how the 2nd Ed rules intended).

And finally, just to add more confusion, the Effect for the Advanced Game Event card "Mercenaries go home" states "named mercenaries in play to be immediately returned to the bottom of the Crown deck". A mistake or deliberate difference?

Thanks in advance for all responses - Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

This thread discusses it as well and explains it in more detail.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/367192/confusion-over-dispo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Seabridge
msg tools
Apologies, I was aware of that thread (in hindsight perhaps I should've posted my question to that thread rather than starting a new one). It includes several "house rules" approaches (eg a re-shuffling when the blank card is reached, or re-shuffling everything when an Embassy card is drawn).

My fundamental question relates to the lack of guidance in the rules - looking back over the questions I've asked since starting to play this lovely game, pretty much all of them are "technical" in nature or very rare situations and the answers were either buried in the rules or derived from the principles that underlie the rules.

On this occasions however, when it comes to what to do once the Crown Deck is exhausted, it seems either a very bad over-sight in the rules not to state they are re-shuffled or a very deliberate omission, ie once a card has gone to the Crown Deck discard then it's gone forever.

From what I've read here and in other sources (FWIW I really like the Worldboardgaming rules - http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbkex06/kgmpge.htm - and have incorporated these into my own customised rule base) it appears that the consensus is indeed to re-shuffle the Crown Deck, either by a house rule (eg Embassy card drawn) or whenever the Deck is exhausted - I just wanted to know if anyone strongly disagrees and/or believes the game is different/better if discarded Crown Cards are out of the game until the end.

Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dawn
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game would definitely be very different! Folks would have to play very cautiously and even more so after the the Crown Deck had been depleted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.