Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the first time tonight, with 4 players. When things got started, the demise of the Fellowship seemed certain...but then things started to get a bit better. We hit Mordor with no one dead and only one hobbit (Pippin, subverted to the dark side by yours truly and a couple 3-pip die rolls) with more than 3 corruption. Sam had the ring, so a hop, skip and a jump later he was at Mount Doom, and with the "can only take 1 damage" rule, victory was assured.

Did we get exceptionally lucky or are we just that good? We did only have one "4 events in a row" occurrence...most of the time we'd get one or two max per turn, often zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Won First Game, I thought this was hard!
galfridus (#33937),

If it was your first play then I'd say you were very lucky - or playeed very good. Usually you need some idea on how to tackle each board before you can win the game. And you said that only one player had moved on the corruption line, well, that I'd take as an indication that you have been lucky indeed, not getting that many sundials or other things that required you to roll a die. Have you planned to play it again? Did you do as well that time as on your first try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus (#33937),

Well the base game is pretty easy, although you don't mention where Sauron started. Starting the evil one at 15 gives you a very different difficulty level than 10! Add Friends and Foes, and not only do you get two new boards, you get a much higher level of difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Windopaene (#33986),

As noted, the basic game is pretty easy - but generally not until it's been played a few times to figure out how the system works. To have played your first game and only received that little corruption is phenomenally lucky. You must have rolled an inordinate number of blanks.

What board did the four sundials in a row occur on?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#33988),

We started on 15 as it was everyone's first game and I had heard it was hard. We only had time for one game; not sure when we will play it again.

The mega-event bonanza occurred at Cirith Ungol; we managed to avoid one or two of the events as I recall, as up to that point we hadn't burned any Gandalf cards and people had their shields available. (I think we Gandalf'ed one event, discarded cards to avoid another, and got hit by two events, probably the first and fourth on the board if I remember correctly.)

We rolled only a single blank throughout the game -- we did get a lot of discard 2 card results, which almost killed one person and definitely depleted the rest of us.

I'll check the rules tonight to see if we inadvertently helped ourselves in some way. We did definitely work well together; there wasn't much selfishness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buckley
United Kingdom
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!

When you're a bit more used to it, let me recommend
Iron-Hobbit LOTR: Sauron starts at 10, lose ANY hobbits and thats it...game over.

cheers,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus (#33937),

It helps a lot to get the ring into Sam's hands. Also, sacrificing a hobbit or two to absorb damage can be helpful at the right time.

But I concur with the prior posts about the starting square. Start Sauron at the default 12 and its tougher. Move him to 10 and you really have to be wily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff "The Midget"
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished (kind of...) playing my first game with a couple of friends. Started Sauron on 15 and only had time to play through the first two boards. After a couple of quirky rules questions, we started to get the hang of it... Now that we know how to play, this will be much easier. Kind of confusing at first, but very cool concept! cool Can't wait to play a full game. Has anyone played with the Sauron expansion? How is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
midgetsrawk (#49747),

The Sauron expansion has its own entry on BGG with ample information to give you a sesne of what it adds.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus (#33937),

I won my first seven games (two to three players). I always started Sauron at 12 (once at 10, no F&F) and played with F&F the last four times (once with dark tiles as well).

After a couple games and a second read through the rulebook I realized I had been playing a rule wrong - I was neglecting to have the new Ringbearer draw 2 extra cards at the new scenario.

I thought it was easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits (#60716),

When my group of friends started playing this game a number of years ago, we at first thought it was pretty easy. We won a lot and thought we were missing something because it was so easy. Then we realized we were doing a number of things wrong. A short list of rules we weren't interperating correctly are as follows:

1. If we turned up an event or move the ring bearer or one hobbit moves two or Sauron moves one, we would stop and let the active player take their turn instead of drawing a new event tile.

2. If we rolled the discard two cards result on the die and the player didn't have two cards they would discard as many as they could with no other ill effects instead of being eliminated from the game.

3. If an event required a player to discard a life token or discard shields and the player didn't have either we would ignore it and continue instead of eliminating the player.

My point is, we were not playing the game correctly and it made it very easy. When we started playing the way the game was intended it made it much more difficult. In fact, we have had only a handful of victories since playing properly. That's not to say the people posting here aren't playing correctly, just that we weren't and it's very likely for groups playing the first few times to miss some of the rules.

In fact, one example of how important it is to know the boards and the upcoming events: We were in the Bree scenario. Our minds weren't in the game. We missed looking ahead. The second event (I think...maybe the third) is Hiding must be complete otherwise Sauron moves one for each incomplete Hiding track. We had move zero. So in one fell swoop at the beginning of the game Sauron moved SEVEN spaces. It's always good to look ahead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add to this--we also won on our first try, but we had five players (plenty of resources) as well as starting Sauron on 15.

We're going to try him on 12 next time. If we win first time again, I'll concede the base game is a bit on the easy side. But then again, we can add Friends and Foes right after it.

I don't think that will be an issue, though...when we played on 15, when we dunked the ring only one of the five (Frodo) was still alive. Two died on the way through Mordor and two died trying to dunk the Ring. Had we started on 12 our first game would have been a resounding failure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Nowak
Poland
Warsaw
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got this game - I waited long time for this. But the first game was slightly disappointing for a couple of reasons.

First of all - we won and the game was supposed to be hard. We did not look much into upcoming events when playing (the other players urged me to continue playing instead of reading the events), we played two rules in a wrong way (the new ring bearer did not draw two cards, and after putting on the ring, we executed the action in the landing space - this gave us one shield extra since we only used it once). We entered Mordor with all Gandalf cards intact and one player had enough shields to call Gandalf. We ended two scenarios by completing the event paths - so we really didn't do very well there. Still we managed to win fairly easily.
Well, we started Sauron from the "15" as it is recommended in the rules, but still - we never played the game before.

Second reason for disapointment is the cooperative aspect. We did cooperate very well, exchanging information, volunteering to sacrifice and so on. Perhaps that is why we won. Talking openly about the cards we hold just seems too abstract. Maybe next time we should not talk about what we have until we actually need the resources.

As a conclusion, next time we will do the following things differently:
- start Sauron on "12"
- not talk abouts cards in hand
- read the flavor text on the board (i.e. event names which we ignored in the first game) - this should improove the game feel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Not talking about the cards in your hand ruins the cooperative aspect; in fact what you did is exactly what the game encourages you to do. Just put Sauron on 12 the next time and see if it remains an easy game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.