13 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » Strategy

Subject: What to do with my Battles of Westeros rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
daviswarrior of Davis

California
msg tools
I want to play it, but no one I know will play it with me. I could sell it..make a profit...I mean wow. $120+??! But seems a shame to lose what many call one of the best (light) tactical war games ever. Maybe I'll find someone to play it. Then again, a shame if it sits on the shelf.
What to do with Battles of Westeros.
1d100 = (69) = 69

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1300127. nimzodisaster
  • 1d100 =
  • (69) =
  • Sat May 26, 2018 2:03 am
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is the dilemma 80% of your game playing peers deal with on a daily basis with any of their games here on Boardgamegeek. Welcome to the club.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daviswarrior of Davis

California
msg tools
Touche

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know where you got that price but it doesn't sell for even half that.

There are lots of new copies still floating around in the 50 dollar range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daviswarrior of Davis

California
msg tools
Ah I see you are right. I was taking the Amazon price at a glance.. On Ebay, much cheaper.

I'd just scanned the front page https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/67492/battles-westeros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daviswarrior of Davis

California
msg tools
good to know. Now I don't feel guilty keeping it and not making another CC payment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You just described the majority of my board game collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't anybody ever check vassal surprise

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Battles_of_Westeros

You can play live or by PBEM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nimzodisaster wrote:
Ah I see you are right. I was taking the Amazon price at a glance.. On Ebay, much cheaper.

I'd just scanned the front page https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/67492/battles-westeros

The most acurate prices can be found either here in BGG's historical sales or in eBay's "completed auctions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cruces wrote:

by recall FFG had some issue about card images, and the VASSAL module was particularly restrictive. Is that still true?

I must confess I found Battles of Westeros inferior to BattleLore 1st Ed in all regards. It was even internally inconsistent over thinks like the Battle of the Green Fork, dramatically different to the book, and generally so pro-Stark as to be not much of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

by recall FFG had some issue about card images, and the VASSAL module was particularly restrictive. Is that still true?

Sadly it is.

Minedog3 wrote:

I must confess I found Battles of Westeros inferior to BattleLore 1st Ed in all regards. It was even internally inconsistent over thinks like the Battle of the Green Fork, dramatically different to the book, and generally so pro-Stark as to be not much of a game.

I don't feel the same. I played several (reported 18 in BGG) games of BoW and I liked it. I stopped because my usual game buddy finds it too "brainy" but recently I found another player interested and I plan re-starting to play the scenarios from the beginning. Scenarios are not all balanced but the balance has never been an issue in this kind of games: play the scenario twice switching sides and add the VPs if you really want a winner. In a sense, I think BoW is less replayable then BatteLore as the cards influence the tactics much less: there is, in general, an optimal course of actions for each side to follow (the Lannister one very rarely involving capturing the Stark leaders ;-)). But it is often not obvious and you have to play the game to find it, which makes the game interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross T
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't give up on it yet. My experience is exactly the same as yours, where friends and family were not impressed by the rule complexity. However it can be effectively simplified with house rules. Also, if the scenarios are too gamey you can try some home brew set ups, taking cues from the TV show and even the battlelore maps which recreate westeros battles.
Mark's observations above are pretty much spot on. The vassal module is hard slog, while the battlelore 1st edition rules are better received by casual gamers. I've got both games and have no problems with swapping pieces and terrain between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cruces wrote:

Meh. BoW is a boardgame. Not everyone is into vassal or playing computer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.