Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or is this scenario ridiculously hard?

I'm playing solo with Akachi, and I had bad card draws (she has four weaknesses in her deck, including Chronophobia) and auto-fail came up a couple of times (playing on normal). There is just so much action denial in the encounter deck with all the Whispers and Descent treacheries, and you need to move around a lot. Plus a ton of rather tough monsters and lunatics to boot.

So I'm not even getting close to a positive resolution on my three tries so far.

Akachi is bad at investigation with 2, and quite a few of the tests require skill checks agains investigation, so Rite of Seeking does not help.

Astral Travel seems to help, if I draw it.

Any tips from the crowd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unspeakable Oath seems to be intentionally almost impossible to succeed. We tried multiple times with our team of William and Rex and even though we knew the configuration of the map, the clues that would spawn, and the like we still ended up failing.

I think the only way to reasonably beat this consistently would probably be to use cheese like I'm Outta Here or, as you say, a Mystic with Astral Travel should be able to do it if the rest of the story goes well, barring those sorts of exceptionally easy ways to get to the end point it would takes some really lucky draws in multiple spots as the adventure has a super short clock and a very high potential to take away your weapons or flood you with enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Spend a couple of turns gearing up and don't wander far from the basement. Get clues from the infirmary and the yard, then cause a fight. If you need extra clues (is there are non on the east or west entrance hall, take them from the mess hall, but only enough to get into the basement. Use Rite of seeking on action three so if it pulls a cultist etc etc you don't lose any actions. Search all the cells and do the actions on the cells. You should now be able to complete acts two and three in quick succession. Don't fight monsters that aren't hunters, boost the agility skill. If you have Forgotten Age, get Mists of Rleyh. Save Astral Travel if your blocked to move to the yard. Don't waste time fighting and use Alchemical Transmutation to keep some resources in reserve to help. Blinding Light and Hypnotic Gaze. To get out try and have at least 6 or 7 agility points. Mists of Rleyh can help. Forget about clearing locations for XP, no point having it if you're insane. Best Ally Arcane Initiate as she keeps you boosted on spells. Not saying it'll be easy, use arcane spots wisely. Get her signature card out so that she can turn unused charges into resources and free up slots. You won't need Rite of Seeking after Act three is completed.Also, Gift of Madness, Misery, will prevent you from triggering the resign action on the Gardens.(ACT 4 gives it to the location)

Hope this helps. It did for me. I made it out with three turns to spare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:

Thanks for the sound advice. Mists of R'lyeh fills the evasion gap, that'll help for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
takai wrote:
bern1106 wrote:

Thanks for the sound advice. Mists of R'lyeh fills the evasion gap, that'll help for sure.

Yes, a much needed card for Mystics and not expensive for it's over all return. If you draw her elder sign token, put the extra charge on it. You're evading with a minimum of 5, which is the highest in the game. Exhaust Spirit Athame 7 and if you have par for the course Holy Rosary 8. The down side you may lose a card, but that's nothing compared to clearing a path. The free move is the icing on the cake. Be careful though, if you use it and there's two enemies, one not exhausted you'll take an AoO as it isn't fast.

It's a very tactical scenario and difficult to win solo. It taxes the player's ability to adapt to the current situation presented, which changes with every agenda. Movement and fighting take up a huge amount of actions, so must be bought down to w minimum. Saving one action by evading instead of fighting for two bears it's fruits. Going off to the kitchen just means having to retrace your steps, which take up to three turns and is completely unnecessary as everything is closer at hand. If you do find yourself with time to spare, get out anyway the final agenda throws out the tough monsters. Some worth XP. Don't let it distract you from the overall goal, getting out sane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
Be careful though, if you use it and there's two enemies, one not exhausted you'll take an AoO as it isn't fast.

But the Mists is an "Evade" action that does not cause an AoO, why would one take an AoO?

Or do you mean the movement? In line with Ursula's logic, it does not say "take a move action".. so I would assume both the usage of Mists' evade action or the move resulting from a successful evade both would not cause an AoO.

Did I miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
valvaris wrote:
bern1106 wrote:
Be careful though, if you use it and there's two enemies, one not exhausted you'll take an AoO as it isn't fast.

But the Mists is an "Evade" action that does not cause an AoO, why would one take an AoO?

Or do you mean the movement? In line with Ursula's logic, it does not say "take a move action".. so I would assume both the usage of Mists' evade action or the move resulting from a successful evade both would not cause an AoO.

Did I miss something?

Close, the evade on enemy 1 will be ok to move, but enemy 2 (on the same space as enemy 1) isn't evaded, so to it you're just moving, thus it'll AoO you. (assuming it's engaged with you as well.)and you'll pull it with you. Alternatively, don't move after evading enemy 1, evade enemy 2 then take the free move from that evade.

This might be clearer.

Engaged with 2 enemies.

Action 1 : Evade 1 enemy. Option 1 : Move; enemy 2 will AoO you as the evade on enemy 1 doesn't affect it (it is still engaged with you) due to you moving. It isn't the evade that provokes the AoO, it's the move and he'll follow you.
Option 2 : Stay where you are. No AoO from enemy 2.

Action 2 : Evade Enemy 2. Option 1 : take the move, all enemies on that location are now exhausted and all engagements are broken.

Option 2 : Stay there...erm.

Action 3: If there's an enemy/ies on this location, it/they engage you. (Go back to top)

Play it out, it'll be clearer.

Here's the relevant text from RR

Each time an investigator is engaged with one or more ready
enemies and takes an action other than to
fight
, to
evade
, or
to activate a
parley
or
resign
ability, each of those enemies
makes an attack of opportunity against the investigator, in
the order of the investigator’s choosing. Each attack deals
that enemy’s damage and horror to the investigator.

=
A n attack of opportunity is made immediately after
all costs of initiating the action that provoked the
attack have been paid, but before the application
of that action’s effect upon the game state.
=
A n ability that costs more than one action only provokes
one attack of opportunity from each engaged enemy.
=
A n enemy does not exhaust while making
an attack of opportunity.
=
A fter all attacks of opportunity are made, continue with
the resolution of the action which instigated the attack.

I've highlighted the relevant text. To the enemy still engaged with you not doing any of the above, only m[/-[-]]oving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, if you use Ursula's move to investigate a location and there's an enemy on it it will engage you and attack you. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mists of R'lyeh
"after evading the chosen enemy, you may move to a connecting location"

Ursula Downs
"After this test ends, you may move to a connecting location."

Q: Does the 'move' on Ursula's effect trigger AoOs? A: It does not. It's not a move action, so behaves like Shortcut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Mists of R'lyeh

Ursula Downs

Q: Does the 'move' on Ursula's effect trigger AoOs? A: It does not. It's not a move action, so behaves like Shortcut.

I don't think it does, as Shortcut has the fast keyword. With Shortcut it isn't part of/ or an Action, therefore all you would do is pull the enemy with you.

As I stated, Ursula's move would not provoke an attack, well it would if you had an enemy on the location she moved from without it being exhausted.
If you move to a location and Take an investigate action and there is an unengaged enemy on her location, it will engage you and attack you as you're investigating. that's why you should make sure there isn't an enemy on the location she moves to. And it's optional. This has been confirmed by inventor in a previous thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
Mists of R'lyeh

Ursula Downs

I don't think it does, as Shortcut has the fast keyword. With Shortcut it isn't part of/ or an Action, therefore all you would do is pull the enemy with you.

As I stated, Ursula's move would not provoke an attack, well it would if you had an enemy on the location she moved from without it being exhausted.
If you move to a location and Take an investigate action and there is an unengaged enemy on her location, it will engage you and attack you as you're investigating. that's why you should make sure there isn't an enemy on the location she moves to. And it's optional. This has been confirmed by inventor in a previous thread.

Indeed Ursula's active ability provokes an AoO. I was quoting her ES ability which has the exact same wording regarding the free movement as Mists of R'lyeh. The answer given as to why it does not provoke an AoO was that it is not a move action (unlike her active ability where the free investigate is referred to as an action)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Mists of R'lyeh

Ursula Downs

In fact you commented on it....!!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1994849/ursula-downs-free-i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
bern1106 wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
Mists of R'lyeh

Ursula Downs

Indeed Ursula's active ability provokes an AoO. I was quoting her ES ability which has the exact same wording regarding the free movement as Mists of R'lyeh. The answer given as to why it does not provoke an AoO was that it is not a move action (unlike her active ability where the free investigate is referred to as an action)

So if you had another engaged enemy with you after evading the first, it wouldn't attack you, just be pulled with you? That seems weird and if so, I've been making things more difficult for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
Mists of R'lyeh

Ursula Downs

Again, that discussion was referring to her active ability.

bern1106 wrote:

So if you had another engaged enemy with you after evading the first, it wouldn't attack you, just be pulled with you? That seems weird and if so, I've been making things more difficult for myself.

Not that weird. Shortcut does the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
bern1106 wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
Mists of R'lyeh

Ursula Downs

Again, that discussion was referring to her active ability.

bern1106 wrote:

Not that weird. Shortcut does the same thing.

I suppose in a way it boils down to the same thing, you still have an engaged enemy tailing you, he just has to be dealt with further along and the upside, you avoid taking damage. Just made my game marginally easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:

I suppose in a way it boils down to the same thing, you still have an engaged enemy tailing you, he just has to be dealt with further along and the upside, you avoid taking damage. Just made my game marginally easier.

So yes, you have misunderstood.

I was referring to her Active Ability that says "Take an investigate action." - it is nested in her reactive action, but it counts as an action that triggers an AoO.

And I am glad it is cleared up.

Conclusion: The nested move action in Mists is not an additional action - it does not provoke AoO.

It is a very strong evade spell because if you use this to evade 2 hunter enemies engaged with you, you can drop an enemy - move, drop another enemy and move again, making sure the 2 enemies are not in the same location, allowing you (or your team) a bit of time to prepare to decimate 1 of them the next turn or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say it's never happened to me yet. Though Shortcut should have tipped me off. Normally, I tilt on these things straight away, but I've been I'll of late and very fatigued. I like the synergy with Mystics as it's as they should act, moving mysteriously from one location to another. Brings the solo difficulty of The UO down quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm two for three against it in a campaign so far, all on Standard. Norman and Skids beat it pretty soundly on my cold playthrough, with Skids exploring above while Norman handled things below. Elusive was very useful. Sefina did okay in solo but didn't make it. I just now conquered it with Jenny -- fairly lucky on draws, the only Fight she did was a Cheap Shot at a cockroach. Apparently the secret to not drawing Straitjackets is to not have anything in your hands! These were her basic moves:
Western Halls (clue), Yard (clue), back to Western Halls, Mess Hall (two clues), Advance Act. Got the key with Agility.

Western Halls, Eastern Halls, Basement (clue), first cell - spoke to patient (clue), Basement - drew a cockroach but played Quick Thinking into the second cell, freed patient (skipped the 5 shroud clue, had an extra from the Mess Hall), back to Basement, took roaches into next cell which was Daniel's, successful Cheap Shot on the roach damaged and evaded it, but it then readied and re-engaged.

Evade roach, Astral Travel to Yard (risky with only Daniel but made it), incited a fight, Garden (clue), distracted the guards, did not need to draw a Monster, resigned.

Finished with 6 doom to go

If you can take Elusive and/or Astral Travel, do it. Two of each. Both need to move to revealed locations, so if you can open the Yard early, that's great.

Edit to add: oh, yeah, Jenny was already back up in the garden when she realized that that patient she spoke with...was that Izzy?! But she didn't have time to go back and look again. So, 1 mental trauma.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Waffler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I feel like it is really hard solo too. I did a poll on it a while back if you are interested:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1912437/unspeakable-oath-po...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.