1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Suggestions

Subject: RSS feeds need to be longer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hillery
United States
flag msg tools
I subscribe to a number of games via their RSS feeds, and have for a couple of years. I've always thought two things were weird:

1. Far more often than just random chance, I would notice that a particular game had exactly 10 new postings when I went to read.

2. I regularly noticed that I'd missed some messages (usually by seeing a reply to a question I'd never seen).

I actually switched from Bloglines to Google Reader because I thought they were losing feed info for me, but I'm still seeing it on Google. And now I think I've figured out why: It's because the RSS feed only ever includes ten items. On a popular game, that's simply not enough - Google only swings by to check the feed every N hours (not sure exactly what N is, but I'd guess 8 or 10), and if more than ten postings have gone by in that time, it'll only see the last ten. Not good.

Is there any chance this could be extended? Given that most automated feed-sweepers come round pretty regularly, it would make a lot of sense for the number of entries in the feed to be time-based rather than strictly a fixed-length FIFO queue. Say, it would always report the last 24 hours' worth of activity, or the last 10 items if there were fewer than 10 items in the last 24 hours.

I know Aldie's had some site performance problems in the past because of the RSS feeds. But as it stands, this feature is at least partially broken, especially for the games it's most useful for - the popular ones. And as it stands, the only solution is to run my own feed-sweeper that dials in to BGG much more frequently, which would have much worse performance implications if everybody did it.

Hopefully something can be done!

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.