Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I are really enjoying our collection of co-ops, especially the ones that tell a bit of a story and really allow us to get into the world. The only thing is, nearly all of these are fantasy and I do love my sci-fi games. So I'm looking for a similar experience in a sci-fi co-op.

Co-ops we've played and enjoyed include:
Gloomhaven
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and Season 2
The 7th Continent
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
and we've also played one of the T.I.M.E Stories modules, the one that came in the base box I think.

My favourite (non-co-op) sci-fi themed games include:
Race/Roll for the Galaxy
Among the Stars
Alien Frontiers
Clank! In! Space!

I've watched a few videos of Shadowrun: Crossfire and Star Trek: Frontiers-- maybe these are what I'm looking for? I'm not sure how available they still are. Any thoughts on these, or other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
As you enjoyed Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, I'd HIGHLY recommend

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

it is a deckbuilder, too and one of the most thematic deck builders I know.

If you do not shy away from realtime games, I'd recommend Space Alert which really makes you feel you are aboard a ship being attacked - highly thematic, but not really recommendable with two players, so it is only you and your husband you might not want to check out this one.

Another realtime game is XCOM: The Board Game, based on the computer game, designed with four players in mind. Is supposed to work with two, but I have not tried it at that player count.

The Captain Is Dead may be up your alley. It is a game in which you try to keep your space vessel afloat and repair the jump drive, while aliens enter your ship.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game might be a game for you if you like goofy games. Here you have coop and vs. modes. In the coop mode you team up with your fellow Aliens to conquer the Earth

Star Trek: Frontiers is based on Mage Knight Board Game and lets you play in the Star Trek universe. Very brainburny and puzzle game

Shadowrun: Crossfire has interesting deck building mechanisms and is very puzzly, but not that strong on theme

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation, Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series and Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation – Next Phase offer deck building in the Star Trek universe - a hidden gem here, with a horrible ruleset - luckily there are some youtube videos explaining the game series..

Helionox: Deluxe Edition latest SF edition to the deckbulding genre, coop and competitive mode, if you want a comic-style game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaa
badge
I got it! I got it!... I don't got it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game

Star Trek: Five-Year Mission

Star Trek Panic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaa
badge
I got it! I got it!... I don't got it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is not exactly coop but I think it scratches the itch as you have the common goal of making mars Habitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
As you enjoyed Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, I'd HIGHLY recommend

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

it is a deckbuilder, too and one of the most thematic deck builders I know.

Hmm, I have seen precisely zero of the Alien movies because they stray a little too close to horror for my tastes. I'd assume that means I probably wouldn't enjoy the game either, but if you think it's good enough to check out anyway let me know.

Thanks for the other suggestions! I will look at some of the realted videos.

JRountrey wrote:
Terraforming Mars is not exactly coop but I think it scratches the itch as you have the common goal of making mars Habitable.

We got to play about half of one game of Terraforming Mars at a local con, and we agreed we liked it. I'm not sure it would scratch the co-op itch for us, though. Star Trek Panic we also do have, and although it's fun I think of it as more lightweight than what I'm hoping for in an immersive co-op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets: Away Missions

The best tactical minis game on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape from 100 Million B.C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet seems like something you could enjoy (if you don't mind that it requires an App to play).

About Shadowrun: Crossfire, I agree that it isn't the most thematic game. It's a lot of fun, though. Not sure, how available it is. There is a newer one out (Dragonfire), which is its fantasy counterpart (which, obviously, isn't helpful for your search).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't disagree more with people saying Shadowrun: Crossfire isn't thematic. I find it extremely thematic and does a fantastic job of mimicking the feel of a Shadowrun RPG mission where things frequently go to hell in the blink of an eye. I love the theme and the punishing nature of it. It's one of my favorite games. It's not so much sci fi as sci fantasy though.

As for availability, there is a reworked version coming out called Shadowrun Crossfire: Prime Runner edition, so you can put in for a preorder or there should be people selling their copies of Shadowrun Crossfire as they go to Dragonfire or Prime Runner.

I have both Legendary Alien and X-Com. They're okay, but don't hit the table much compared to Shadowrun or RftG. I don't know why LE:Aliens didn't grab us that much. X-Com was enjoyable at 4, but we've avoided it at 2 because of playing multiple roles with the addition of the timed element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
+1 for Conquest of Planet Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderbirds
Star Trek: Expeditions
Centauri Saga
The Daedalus Sentence
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

This and Galaxy Defenders fit the bill.
Personally I love the Alien Deckbuilder mentioned before, but if you dislike the theme....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a few more suggested games yet to research, but so far it's looking like Helionox: Deluxe Edition is in the lead. First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet might have been a contender, but we already own Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island so it's less appealing to buy another version of it.

Thanks for your help, everybody! Any more suggestions are still welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

Err... Not really. It's fun, but it's way too random. It also doesn't really feature a lot of tactical movement.

I should think that Galaxy Defenders is a lot better in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
More marginal and you'll probably not be interested in the price and theme, but for the sake of being exhaustive, Kingdom Death: Monster is really immersive and you'll tell a lot of stories while playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob A
United States
Kihei
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game Legendary deck builder but if you are more a Firefly fan than Alien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mind playing a game requiring an APP on a tablet or smartphone?

If no, XCOM: The Board Game is your boardgame of choice ...

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.