Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Everyone Unconscious? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Menasco
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Just got the game, and so far we love it!

Last night my wife and I were playing the "Dungeon Crawl" scenario, and we made it to scene 3 before all our characters became unconscious. I can't seem to find anywhere in the rule book what happens to our charters now (when the whole party becomes unconscious). We have a few questions. Any help appreciated!

Do we still earn any mount of XP?
Do we still keep our decks and try again?
Do we start on scene 3, or do we start back at scene 1?
Does the Dragonfire level restart, or remain at whatever it was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you've lost the scenario. Don't worry, that happens a lot.

Look at the scenario card. It tells you that you earn 1 XP for each scene started, plus 2 more if you finish all 3 scenes, so you earn 3 XP.

You restart with just your base decks.

You start at scene 1.

The Dragonfire level is reset to zero.

For the last 3, you are starting a new adventure, not continuing the old one, which is why your hands and the DF level and scene reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've all gone unconscious, no-one is left 'in' the game, so you lose.

You earn XP based on the number of scenes you *started*.

When you play the next time, everything will reset.
- All player decks are reset to starting equipment packs (as modified by Features / Magic Items)
- All other decks are reconstituted and shuffled... Dragonfire Cards, Market, Encounter Decks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Menasco
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Awesome, thanks everyone! It’s kinda bitter sweet resetting that deck, but the additional xp will become quite useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BCZ and Joshuaaaaaa already answered but I thought it was worth pointing out to new players that if you played any magic items with the Consume key word they are out of your campaign. You will not get them back for the next game. Win or lose, a consumed item is still consumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nachofan wrote:
BCZ and Joshuaaaaaa already answered but I thought it was worth pointing out to new players that if you played any magic items with the Consume key word they are out of your campaign. You will not get them back for the next game. Win or lose, a consumed item is still consumed.

Add that to the list of reasons I tend to not pack consumables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Nachofan wrote:
...any magic items with the Consume key word... ...are out of your campaign.

Your wording raises a question. Are they consumed until your next lv1 characters? I had just shuffled them back into the magic item decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kessler
United States
California
flag msg tools
You did it right; magic items you consume go back into the magic-item deck and can then be re-earned. (Indeed, you could consume a magic item during an adventure, shuffle it back into the magic-item deck, succeed in the adventure, and then draw the card you just consumed as one of the items you receive for completing the adventure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mxyzptlk wrote:
Nachofan wrote:
...any magic items with the Consume key word... ...are out of your campaign.

Your wording raises a question. Are they consumed until your next lv1 characters? I had just shuffled them back into the magic item decks.

Dragonfire rulebook, p. 27 wrote:
Consume: This might be the only ability on a card, or an optional ability. In both instances, when used, the card is removed from the current game and is returned to the Magic Items Deck. The player may no longer use that Magic Item in future games, unless they draw it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
That was what I remembered, but the wording made me wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Baxter

California
msg tools
mbmb
There are a few that are helpful in the expansions. Being able to have a non-basic card that deals damage without being consumed helps a couple of the sub-classes, like War Priest.

Detect magic can be pretty helpful early in a character's career as well, but for the most part I don't find them to be a particularly useful part of the game either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Kessler
United States
California
flag msg tools
I hate to tell you this, but, sadly and very counter-intuitively, magic items do not count as "non-basic cards." The Glossary defines "non-basic cards" thus: "This term applies to any Market card that is not a Basic Market card. This terminology does not, however, apply to any
Magic Items." Like you, I—and I suspect literally every person ever to play the game—assumed that "non-basic cards" included magic items (since they are cards that are not basic) until I looked it up ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.