Heroes of Land, Air & Sea» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Baricade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejan Vlahović
Croatia
Varaždin
flag msg tools
Hi, We have played a few games for now and we find the barricades too strong.
They give +4 against siege and +3 against Charge .

There is no counter to this card except Conscripts but that is not logical because you wouldnt use Conscripts as the attacker.

The only way you would use Conscripts as the attacker is when attacking an army in your continent.

Are we wrong ?

We could use some tips or strategies.

Ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
You need to attack with a stronger force. If you attack with at least +2 in total strength in your favor, Barricade is next to useless. Attacking with less than +2 in total strength is only advisable if you have good spells or the opponent does not have enough resources to use spells and/or the good tactics cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vlahović
Croatia
Varaždin
flag msg tools
I attacked with 2 heroes and 3 warriors. The enemy had just one hero one tower and a warrior there. I played Siege because you gain +1 if attacking a tower and the enemy played Barricade. I couldnt attack with more units because the limit is only 5 units in an army. The battle was tied and I lost. I couldnt find a way to destroy the tower that was standing in front of my city...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I usually attack with first strike to prevent a conscript. Also I usually attack lone serfs or warriors when possible. I have yet to attack with less than 2 strength advantage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stephens
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Decros wrote:
I attacked with 2 heroes and 3 warriors. The enemy had just one hero one tower and a warrior there. I played Siege because you gain +1 if attacking a tower and the enemy played Barricade. I couldnt attack with more units because the limit is only 5 units in an army. The battle was tied and I lost. I couldnt find a way to destroy the tower that was standing in front of my city...

What CC level were you both on? Did either of you play spells? Is there a reason you didn't play charge? What heroes and what factions? Certain factions are significantly better in combat, and some are stronger at different phases in the game.

There are a lot of factors involved, so it's tough to really diagnose what went wrong without more details. Generally speaking, it's not adequate to simply say "I had a bigger army so I should've won". Having said that, barricade is good, but it's probably the worst defensive tactic imho (compared to conscripts or a defensive charge/fs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stephens
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Decros wrote:
The only way you would use Conscripts as the attacker is when attacking an army in your continent.

Oh, and it's worth noting that you can play conscripts and not actually conscript anything - you'll lose 2 vp, but you'll negate the bonuses for barricade and get +2 attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Elliker
Switzerland
flag msg tools
As has been mentioned above, it is very difficult to assess that very specific situation, but from the looks of it, you just should not have played Siege.

To explain: all things being equal (i.e. no additional racial powers take effect, no spells played, and both sides have enough resources) and assuming one of your heroes matches the defender's hero, you have 2 warriors (2 times 2 strength) and 1 hero (at least 1 strength) vs his tower (3 strength) as his warrior and hero are matched by one of your own and thus are excluded from the equation. That is at least +2 in strength in your favor if not more.
The defender has the following options:
Retreat => Destroys his tower => not an option
Siege => He is not allowed to play that as a defender => not an option
Fight => No strength bonus => he still loses
First Strike => As you most likely won't play conscripts due to unit limit this card gives +2 (if you play anything that gives a bonus, he loses) or +5 (you play Siege and get +5 as well, he loses) => Most likely he loses.
Conscripts => It depends on his units in the C.C (as this is a tower) and on the continent, but it gets stronger when you play siege => might be an option
Barricade => If you play Siege or First Strike, he wins. If you play Charge, he looses => might be an option
Charge => Does not win if you play Siege or Charge, but beats First Strike (if his conscripts is any good and he suspects you playing First Strike) => Might be an option.

Thus, the defender most likely plays Conscripts (no idea how strong), Barricade, or Charge. For you as the attacker this means:
- If you play Charge, you win at least the latter two scenarios.
- If you play Siege, you only win vs Charge and perhaps vs. Conscripts.
==> Charge is clearly the better call.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stephens
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
LovingAngel wrote:
As has been mentioned above, it is very difficult to assess that very specific situation, but from the looks of it, you just should not have played Siege.

To explain: all things being equal (i.e. no additional racial powers take effect, no spells played, and both sides have enough resources) and assuming one of your heroes matches the defender's hero, you have 2 warriors (2 times 2 strength) and 1 hero (at least 1 strength) vs his tower (3 strength) as his warrior and hero are matched by one of your own and thus are excluded from the equation. That is at least +2 in strength in your favor if not more.
The defender has the following options:
Retreat => Destroys his tower => not an option
Siege => He is not allowed to play that as a defender => not an option
Fight => No strength bonus => he still loses
First Strike => As you most likely won't play conscripts due to unit limit this card gives +2 (if you play anything that gives a bonus, he loses) or +5 (you play Siege and get +5 as well, he loses) => Most likely he loses.
Conscripts => It depends on his units in the C.C (as this is a tower) and on the continent, but it gets stronger when you play siege => might be an option
Barricade => If you play Siege or First Strike, he wins. If you play Charge, he looses => might be an option
Charge => Does not win if you play Siege or Charge, but beats First Strike (if his conscripts is any good and he suspects you playing First Strike) => Might be an option.

Thus, the defender most likely plays Conscripts (no idea how strong), Barricade, or Charge. For you as the attacker this means:
- If you play Charge, you win at least the latter two scenarios.
- If you play Siege, you only win vs Charge and perhaps vs. Conscripts.
==> Charge is clearly the better call.

Very well said - wish I could've explained it so concisely. The combat system in this game really tickles me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
It's a love/hate relationship.
badge
Check out my board game instructional videos on my YouTube channel: "The Game Explainer".
mbmbmbmbmb
Decros wrote:

Keep in mind that you can conscript from adjacent regions, even if those regions are adjacent via ferry routes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.