Popular Tags: [View All]
Amos Rozet
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Templars' Journey and while it was ultimately not a fun game, I thought what the designers were trying to do was unique and interesting: make a Euro area control game with take that mechanics AND give you abilities that mitigate some of the 'take that.' In short, you can easily remove other players' knights from a location but when you do, they go to their player board and they can then spend those knights for various abilities. Unfortunately, the abilities weren't very interesting and usually only useful in specific situations.

So, in short, does anyone know if there's a Euro style game that does this better?

On a related note, I would love to see a game with a variation on the 'Loki strategy' from Blood Rage: sure, you can kill my dudes but you run the risk of giving me more points because you don't know whether I have some ability that lets me benefit from having dead workers. So that creates some interesting choices for the would-be attacker or 'take-that-er.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s not explicitly Take That in the sense where you play a card and now someone of your choice loses four cubes or a sheep or whatever, but...

Basically everything Splotter has ever made. In every Splotter game there is HUGE potential to make a play that absolutely burns your opponent’s strategy straight to the ground. They’re also some of the most interactive Euros I think you can find. In all of them, essentially every move has implications for every other player.

Example: I played a 4-player game of Food Chain Magnate recently where everyone was happily fulfilling their orders of choice for Burgers, Pizza, and Lemonade. I dropped a radio tower in center of the map creating 2x demand for Coke and proceeded to take EVERY house for about two rounds while people scrambled figuring out how to try and meet demand. Turned out nobody had Coke on their routes, they could only use Errand Boys to get it. I drained the bank and won by a solid $300.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether you class it as Euro or not, I don't know, but my first thought about that Loki type of thing is [=Pax Porfiriana][/]. Often when you hit someone with a take that card, it is retained by the victim as a victory point (in a particular suit, which is also a major consideration as to whether or not you do it).

This leads to the interesting situation where you will often play a take that card on yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Rozet
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
casualcasual wrote:
Whether you class it as Euro or not, I don't know, but my first thought about that Loki type of thing is [=Pax Porfiriana][/]. Often when you hit someone with a take that card, it is retained by the victim as a victory point (in a particular suit, which is also a major consideration as to whether or not you do it).

This leads to the interesting situation where you will often play a take that card on yourself.

That kind of mechanic is exactly what I'm looking for, basically a penalty to the 'take-that-er' or an extra benefit to the victim to put some extra decision making into 'take that' abilities. I'll look into Pax Porfiriana, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocking and displacement in Hansa Teutonica sounds exactly like what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant species. Argent the consortium. Terraforming Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes: You can use other players' dice but you have to pay them for it. You can also bump off their citizens from their spots but they can then place them somewhere else.

Keyflower: You can use other players' production tiles but the players will get the worker(s) you placed on their tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates has lots of take that and there is a current edition in the shops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hate the term "take that" but if we're going to use it, can we use it right?

It doesn't just mean "player interaction."

It means a specific mechanic in the game that one can acquire to set back another player's position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe and Rising Sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Rozet
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I really hate the term "take that" but if we're going to use it, can we use it right?

It doesn't just mean "player interaction."

It means a specific mechanic in the game that one can acquire to set back another player's position.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but the OP has further specified that the target should also acquire some kind of benefit from the "attacker". That condition makes a lot of games ineligible. For example, I do not know if Terraforming Mars would still qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amos Rozet
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Yes, but the OP has further specified that the target should also acquire some kind of benefit from the "attacker". That condition makes a lot of games ineligible. For example, I do not know if Terraforming Mars would still qualify.

It would not. In fact, the 'take that' cards in TM are my least favorite parts of that game because they just hurt an opponent with little to no effort or consequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
copcopps wrote:

This was my first thought. Changing an ad campaign to steal customers from someone who has spent multiple turns setting up a perfect turn can cause almost table flip levels of arrggghhh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hansa Teutonica
Lancaster

And to a degree:
Caylus
Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiders of the North Sea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the suggestions Hansa Teutonica and Keyflower.

In Hansa Teutonica, your workers (traders) can be pushed away but in return, you get to place more workers elsewhere, to the extent that you often WANT to be pushed away.

In Keyflower, an opponent worker on your tile makes the tile more expensive to use but in return, you get to keep the opponent worker.

In Splotter games, takte that isn't really mitigated but often affects all players, including the "guilty" player, rather than just a specific player. A good example is The Great Zimbabwe, where the addition of a secondary craftsman suddenly make certain resources more expensive for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem is a worker placement with unbinding negotiation and the ability to attack each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall ?

I just remember playing it one time and not enjoying the idea that another player could simply "deport" my workers off the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mxpowar wrote:

That kind of mechanic is exactly what I'm looking for, basically a penalty to the 'take-that-er' or an extra benefit to the victim to put some extra decision making into 'take that' abilities. I'll look into Pax Porfiriana, thanks!

Argent. Wounded mages get sent to the infirmary which provides an instant benefit to their owner, which is pretty big in and of itself given most spots don't resolve until the end of a round. Then you realise you can power a spell on your turn allowing you to move your mage out of the infirmary to a different spot, which means you played a spell so you get to place an extra mage as a free action, which lets you trigger an item allowing you to reshuffle the positioning of the mages in this other location ...
It's quite possible to build epic, game-changing turns based entirely on having your opponent wound one of your mages to steal their spot (after of course your opponent has made their own epic play which involved wounding your mage in the first place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imhotep
This game is fairly light but has some good take that.
Take that - Sail a ship with your opponents stones to a non optimal port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
mxpowar wrote:
odie73 wrote:

It would not. In fact, the 'take that' cards in TM are my least favorite parts of that game because they just hurt an opponent with little to no effort or consequence.

Which is the essence of 'take that' small petty actions that only set back. Terraforming Mars had legitimate take that mechanics, opposed to games that are relying on player interaction for induced chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondřej Šofr
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Right now, Crusader Kings is live on kickstarter. As a king, you can pay gold to increase the chances of success from playing certain actions and cards... and everyone else can pay against you, reducing your chances.

You want to build a castle? Nah, I don't think so.

Also, you can bribe characters of others or incite revolts in their lands. I am quite looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfair requires you to both build your theme park as well as defend it. Event cards have a "positive" top half (usually something for yourself, like a free action or extra cash) and a "negative" bottom (usually something that removes something another player has built, or forces them to give you money or closes one of their rides so they earn no money). Some bottom halves are defenses against attacks, and some top halves are ways to benefit from some attacks (such as getting to pay half price to upgrade a closed ride). Players must always weigh the benefit of playing the top or bottom half of the card with the opportunity cost of not using the other half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.