George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a rules conflict in a game where another player insisted that, if an investigator is defeated and the player draws another investigator, the # investigators count (for the purpose of spawning gates, solving mysteries etc.) is permanently increased by 1 from that point in the game onwards.

Now I am a long-time EH player and I know that makes absolutely no sense (the game would be impossible to win otherwise), but I didn't want to dig into the rulesbooks trying to find anywhere this is explicitly mentioned.

So I said I'll post this on the bgg forums and I'm willing to bet £100 if I'm wrong, so we can carry on the game based on my interpretation of the rules.

So then, can anyone please shout if there is anything in the rules that suggests that defeated investigators ever increase the '# of investigators'?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deric Loh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
No. You don't. The number of investigators is always the same.

You start with four, one is defeated. Immediately replace a new one, hence you still have four investigators.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules reference, Investigator: The word “investigator” refers to a player, the character he controls,
and that character’s Investigator sheet and Investigator token.


Rules reference, Defeated Investigator: A defeated investigator is not considered an investigator. A
defeated investigator cannot perform actions, resolve effects, or be
affected by effects that affect investigators.


Seems pretty clear that the number of investigators is the number of not-defeated investigators.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope he took the £100 bet and that you use a little bit of the money to gift him a framed copy of the rules that Ren quoted.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FRM Vicious
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That depends... would your friend be willing to share these £100?

Otherwise you would be absolutely correct.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgars S
msg tools
Investigator count never changes until end of game. While not explicitly stated in rules even when player is eliminated from game(otherwise this would lead for weird effect of final bosses like Cthulhu or Shub-Niggurath to die suddenly when he eliminates all investigators and is damaged by 2 points prior to that). Only way this is referenced is that you put reference card at start which states # investigators, and that card is never changed per rules.
As for increasing count per defeated investigators , that is explicitly started it rules, and otherwise would make game pretty much unwinable after first or second death, as mysteries would require disproportionate input to be solved.

A defeated investigator is not considered an investigator. A defeated investigator cannot perform actions, resolve effects, or be affected by effects that affect investigators.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone through the rules and read the discussion but I am not sure I can get behind the answers above.

I agree that this is not explicitly covered.

Player is you.

Investigator is the character that you control.

The reference card that you put down at set up is based on the number of players. Investigator count can shift during the game, but the number of players is fairly static.

Now after the old one awakens players can be eliminated. I don't think the player count changes even at this time, but I can't find a reference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgars S
msg tools
Only thing that is not explicitly stated is situation with player elimination. But even then at the start of game we put one of the refference cards on table which shows #investigators as top left picture. That number is used throughout the game to determine mystery difficulty , epic mob durability , portal / surge spawn rate, and there is no rule to ever change those numbers.
As for bringing new investigators in game in place of defeated , there is explicit rule stating that defeated investigator is not an investigator.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
Player is you.

Investigator is the character that you control.

Now after the old one awakens players can be eliminated.


Tress1804 wrote:
Only thing that is not explicitly stated is situation with player elimination.


While investigator elimination might indeed occur after an AO awakes, I'd still consider player elimination to be a houserule (which should only be used in very immersive games that also include real human sacrifices to appease the old ones).

It might still be difficult to find a group which would agree to play with this house rule, not to mention playing regularly. But to each his own
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
Tress1804 wrote:
Only thing that is not explicitly stated is situation with player elimination.

...
It might still be difficult to find a group which would agree to play with this house rule, not to mention playing regularly. But to each his own


While i fully appreciate the difference between "character" and "player", the term "player elimination" a real and valid term in board gaming. "Elimination" does not necessarily mean the death of the player, just their removal (elimination) from the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
I just had a rules conflict in a game where another player insisted that, if an investigator is defeated and the player draws another investigator, the # investigators count (for the purpose of spawning gates, solving mysteries etc.) is permanently increased by 1 from that point in the game onwards.

Now I am a long-time EH player and I know that makes absolutely no sense (the game would be impossible to win otherwise), but I didn't want to dig into the rulesbooks trying to find anywhere this is explicitly mentioned.

So I said I'll post this on the bgg forums and I'm willing to bet £100 if I'm wrong, so we can carry on the game based on my interpretation of the rules.

So then, can anyone please shout if there is anything in the rules that suggests that defeated investigators ever increase the '# of investigators'?


You are correct. # Investigator Count always refer to the number of investigators the game begins with.

This is true EVEN after the ancient one has awoken and some investigators have died. If you start with 4, the # Investigator Count is ALWAYS 4.

The only way this can change is with the Masks of Nyarlathotep expansion, where some success/failure of personal mission cards modifies this number.

Have fun
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
While i fully appreciate the difference between "character" and "player", the term "player elimination" a real and valid term in board gaming. "Elimination" does not necessarily mean the death of the player, just their removal (elimination) from the game.


Well, I guess some attempts at humor (such as this one) are plain bad, so I better shouldn't have done it

Sorry for derailing this, I had nothing to contribute other than my shallow joke. goo
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
Well, I guess some attempts at humor (such as this one) are plain bad, so I better shouldn't have done it


My apologies - i assumed (because i assume that your native language is German) that you might not be familiar with the term "player elimination".

(In case you don't know this one: "When you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME!" )
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.