Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently acquired vol 1- Rebel Seas and noticed the blurb on the back. This says that Rebel Seas is the first of three books ending with vol 3 - European Seas.

I have Vol 2- Monsoon Seas but had never heard of vol 3. Was there any intention or plan to print this?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomster wrote:
I recently acquired vol 1- Rebel Seas and noticed the blurb on the back. This says that Rebel Seas is the first of three books ending with vol 3 - European Seas.

I have Vol 2- Monsoon Seas but had never heard of vol 3. Was there any intention or plan to print this?

Thanks.

I *think* Volume 1 is actually the base game, Rebel Seas is volume 2, Monsoon Seas Volume 3, so this would line up with Lifeline of Europe being Volume 4, also making it the 3rd supplement to come out.

If you look at the BGG entries, they count the Volumes this way. Monsoon Seas cover says Volume III (although it is Part II of the British Navy at Bay). I think what is confusing is Rebel Seas doesn't show a volume # on the cover but does have the "Part I" blurb.

So looks like you didn't miss anything. Where did you see the last book was ready? Or is it just the blurb on Rebel Seas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few Close Action Battle scenarios for the Russo-Swedish War, but until now never heard of a Volume 3 scenario book.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Swedish_War_(1788%E2%80%...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grabbed my copies, Rebel Seas says in the first line on the back of the book it is the Second Volume. As stated already, Monsoon calls itself Volume III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies gentleman.

Looking at the back of Rebel Seas it says that Vol 3 - European Seas will deal with the English blockades of Europe. I think this was intended as a new volume at the time. But Rebel Seas was printed in 2002 so it may have fallen off the radar.

Rebel Seas is "Part 1- The Royal Navy at Bay"? and from the blurb is "The first of three books..."

Would be interesting to see if there was a draft or some scenarios somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you have a different printing, Rebel Seas does not name European Seas as the "third volume" - it just states there is a planned 3 book series. Again, this translate to Volumes 2-4.

Yes, Rebel Seas says on the cover that it is "The British Nave at Bay Part I" - but the back cover calls it "Volume II of the Close Action Series"

Monsoon Seas says on the cover that it is "The British Nave at Bay Part Two" - but the back cover calls it "Volume III of the Close Action Series"

Most likely it dropped off. Close Action came out in 1997. Rebel Seas 2002, Monsoon Seas in 2007. They were on a 5-year turnaround and it is now 11 years since the last one came out. Clash of Arms doesn't have anything listed on it coming out and noted in December the last of the Close Action games were available. Sounds like they may be closing shop on this series.

Maybe try reaching the designer and see what he has to say?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Unless you have a different printing, Rebel Seas does not name European Seas as the "third volume" - it just states there is a planned 3 book series. Again, this translate to Volumes 2-4.

Yes, Rebel Seas says on the cover that it is "The British Nave at Bay Part I" - but the back cover calls it "Volume II of the Close Action Series"

Monsoon Seas says on the cover that it is "The British Nave at Bay Part Two" - but the back cover calls it "Volume III of the Close Action Series"

Most likely it dropped off. Close Action came out in 1997. Rebel Seas 2002, Monsoon Seas in 2007. They were on a 5-year turnaround and it is now 11 years since the last one came out. Clash of Arms doesn't have anything listed on it coming out and noted in December the last of the Close Action games were available. Sounds like they may be closing shop on this series.

Maybe try reaching the designer and see what he has to say?

Hi Brian,

I agree with you 100% but on the last two lines of the blurb on the back of Rebel Seas it says..." The other volumes will treat the struggle for India (Monsoon Seas: Suffren's campaign for India) and England's blockades of its Continental foes (European Seas: The Lifeline of Empires)" .

I had never heard of this before and was just asking if anyone knew anything about it. As you note it has probably fallen away and was an original plan that was a bridge too far... I hadn't heard anything about a print but just reading the blurb from the 2002 print of Rebel Seas.

You are correct that Mark Campbell is the best person to ask, but I don't have his contact details and thought some wise person here may help.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomster wrote:
I agree with you 100% but on the last two lines of the blurb on the back of Rebel Seas it says..." The other volumes will treat the struggle for India (Monsoon Seas: Suffren's campaign for India) and England's blockades of its Continental foes (European Seas: The Lifeline of Empires)" .

Right, I am just saying that it doesn't assign volume numbers in this blurb. European seas is the third book, not the third volume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomster wrote:
You are correct that Mark Campbell is the best person to ask, but I don't have his contact details and thought some wise person here may help.

Maybe start with Clash of Arms? This was the only email I could find for them but they have a phone number listed on their webpage.

sales@clashofarms.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian. Will drop them a line. Just got excited because I had only ever heard of the two printed books and the boxed game before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
try the Close Action Yahoo Group, I know Mark Campbell frequents it, as do other knowledgeable chaps
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Close_Action/info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark. Just thought there may be some scratchings somewhere we might benefit from....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A reply from Mark himself....

Tom:

Hi. I have about half of the scenarios for this book done, but in the process of preparing it, two other timelines caught my attention and diverted it to working on them:

1) Free Trade and Sailors' Rights -- the American Navy from 1797 to 1815. Lots of scenarios involving the Wars on the Lakes--Ontario, Erie, and Champlain; some involving frigate actions on the high seas as well. 90% done.

2) Jenkin's Ear and Austrian Succession--the Wars at Sea from 1739 to 1748. About 70% done.

European Seas will have to wait for these two, I'm afraid. I'm about 6 years behind my planned schedule from 2007, so please wish me luck!

== Cordially,
Mark Campbell

Not sure where he is in the process but it would be wonderful to get any of these out, and very interesting too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those would certainly interest me to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mb
Cundiff wrote:
Those would certainly interest me to be sure.

+1thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.