Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the week behind us it's time to post your week's mini-session reports and stories to answer our favorite question:

mbmbWhat did you play this week? - Edition 474
mbmbtobacco This week's WDYPTW Geeklist
mbmbtobacco WDYPTW subscription thread
mbmbtobacco The WDYPTW Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Busy week...

Monday
mb - 5.0 mi 41:10 (8:14)

Tuesday
1x - Dixit: Odyssey

Thursday
mb - 6.5 mi 52:38 (8:05)

Saturday
mb - 10.16 mi 1:25:33 (8:25)

I had a full week which didn't afford much time for fun on the tabletop. Work is in crunch mode, I had multiple church meetings in the evenings and then family in town for birthday celebrations and time at the pool. With summer here my primary gaming partner sleeps in since she doesn't have to get up early to see our daughter off, so I will most likely shift into solo gaming mode in the mornings after my morning runs.

meeple Keep playing...
BK's Hardcore 10x10 in 2018 List at 61/100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
A week of challenge in gaming, harsh on my feelings and faith in my abilities.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game xd10-5
After Jenny's demise at the hands of both Umo and Yogi, I took Roland for a spin against Umo. But on easy this time. With a more carefully built deck. I breezed through The Gathering as usual, netting 7xp, then fell 3 cultists in Midnight Maks, before resigning because I didn't have time to efficiently do more, netting 6xp. I then went for Devourer and... Went mad dreaming about R'lyeh. Then... Went mad again after failing many times to treachery cards. Then... Finally drew into the right card combination, playing allies to soak madness up. I got stuck after the cultists showed up, and drew almost my whole deck in search of Dynamite, to clear the way. By the time I found it it was already too late, so I prepared myself for the Great Old One I knew was coming. Over three turns, I drew two Deep Ones hellbent on not letting me get away with it, but two sticks of dynamite, Xavier's courage, and a bullet from my .45 + Vicious Blow + 2 other committed cards, FINALLY let me get my first campaign win in 65 plays total!
Wow. Inredibly. Difficult.

The 7th Continent xd10-1
AT LAST I found one of the things I needed but never ever found in 50+ plays for the introduction curse!

Dale of Merchants xd10-1
Tried some new animalfolks with my friend. Settled for Sloths, Polecats and Platypuses. I won one turn early (after starting second).

Flip City NEW TO ME! xd10-1
I won one turn early, after starting second, too. With victory points. I was wary of bursting without compensation but the game was fun to play.

Kingdom Death: Monster xd10-1
I decided to go back to my settlement after my lion 2 TPK, resetted the year to get a lion 1, which I died, harvesting materials for both a circlet and a bow (yay!). I then suffered a TPK at the hands of the Slenderman, although I was 3 wounds away from a win (but I rolled like sh*t, as often), lost 3 more survivors to Fear Forgotten and of course Murder. Then got TPKed by an Antelope 2 after I lost ALL my survival to the hunt. Settlement lost on LY11.
I do not know what makes this campaign game so incredibly difficult to me when apparently I struggle much more than anyone else who posts in their respective forums, but it's not a good feeling.

Mystic Vale xd10-1
2 players. I lost a semi-dozen points short. My totem was fun and brought me 21 victory points on its own. Wow.

Tanto Cuore xd10-1
2 players. We tied at 70 points after I gave my opponent something like -14 or -16 in bad habits!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday started off right with a One Deck Dungeon game. Continuing my healing rogue campaign, I took on the dragon for the third time, and finally beat it! I even had a potion left at the end, even though I used some potions to roll 3 blue dice instead of healing. I should have specced into getting the basic skill sooner, I forgot how much of a difference that makes.

Tuesday evening I played a very quick game of The Enchanted Tower with the kids. My son wanted to play the sorcerer. The girls and I got one key, but it didn’t unlock the princess. My son made it to the second key right away and stole the princess.

That game lasted only about 8 minutes, so we got outMax. This time the kids were rolling very poorly, and hit a lot of double Max rolls. Within about 10 minutes Max had eaten a chipmunk, and the game was over. First time the kids lost that.

Wednesday night I got to play two games of One Deck Dungeon using my healing rogue. First I took on the Yeti, and I creamed him (I got really lucky that only once my heroic ability hit a 1 through the whole dungeon). I had plenty of life left when I dealt the killing blow. Then I played the Hydra and got my rear end kicked. I was getting bad rolls left and right, and burning through time. I made it to the third floor, but with only being on level 2, with 2 items and 2 skills, I couldn’t get past my second encounter. Really poor showing, but I was able to fill in a new talent, so hopefully that comes in handy.

With my wife out for the night, I played some solo Five Tribes. I beat Yazid, and ended up with a solid 198 points, which put me in the Junior Jafar range for the first time. Feels good to not be a Insufficient Iznogoud.

Thursday I continued with my rogue in One Deck Dungeon. This time, I made it to the Hydra, and beat it back in three rounds. I got better rolls while descending, plus the talent to heal 1 for each potion used and heal 1 per level descended was key. By the time the Hydra was defeated, I still had 1 potion and only 4 damage of the 9 life I had.

I then playedMunchkin in solo mode (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/98727/munchkin-solitaire-...). I found it way too easy. Sure, early one was a little tough, but as soon as I got to level 10, I flew past everything based on pretty much the strength of my level alone. I won’t be trying that again.

Friday night my wife wanted to learn One Deck Dungeon. My suspicion was correct that two player generally felt a little easier than solo. But not a ton easier. We went through and killed the dragon. There were a few times where we just barely got by. We had to use our very last potion to re-roll 1’s and 2’s, cause we had 6 of those between us (out of 17 dice)! She wanted to put our victory towards a campaign, so now I have a new Paladin character and she has an Archer. I specced healing and she specced dungeon (traps), so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sunday night was game night. We started off with two games of Mystic Vale using the Mystic Vale: Vale of Magic expansion. I came in last place in both games. I don’t know why I can’t do well at this game. I really like it, I just pretty much am always in last place.

Then the other couple taught usMerlin. Being a game they knew but we didn’t, I didn’t expect to do well. So I lost (last place) again. But it was overall a fun game. Not sure if I would own it, but it was fun.

We ended the night with Sheriff of Nottingham. Again a new game to my wife and I, but a much lighter game. Finally, I didn’t come in last! I made it to 3rd place! Woo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yokohama x 1
San Juan (second edition) x 1
Mottainai x 2
Drachenturm x 2
Rabbit Rally x 2
Baseball Highlights: 2045 x 2 (solo)
Pandemic x 1 (solo)
Limes x 2 (solo)
The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game x 2 (solo)
Onirim (second edition) x 2 (solo)
Elder Sign x 1 (solo)
Cottage Garden x 2 (solo)xx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giantmike wrote:
Sunday night was game night. We started off with two games of Mystic Vale using the Mystic Vale: Vale of Magic expansion. I came in last place in both games. I don’t know why I can’t do well at this game. I really like it, I just pretty much am always in last place.

Do you push?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Azul x1:
It’s Azul! Not much to say, I’m finally able to win against my wife sometimes now

FUSE x2:
This is a neat game I continue to be glad I picked up. My friends always love it, and having more games people say “can we play again” right away to is wonderful.

Aeon's End x2:
I got the absolute crap kicked out of me by Carapace Queen twice. First attempt I lost to Husk Swarm without doing any damage to her at all. Second attempt I had a very unfortunate Pulverizing Ray right as I started doing 12+ damage a turn... would have won but it just didn’t work out.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 x1:
We finished up May, barely. Still like this game much much much more than PLS1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools

Wednesday
8  Deception: Murder in Hong Kong x5 (17 all-time)

Thursday
8  Sleuth x2 (4 all-time)

Friday
7  Quadropolis (16 all-time)
8  Linko! x3 (39 all-time)

Saturday
7.5  For Sale x3 (18 all-time)
7  Quadropolis (16 all-time)

Sunday
8  Cockroach Poker x2 (13 all-time)
8  Linko! x3 (39 all-time)

20 plays of 6 games.

As I hinted at last week, for the regulars here, my games played this week would look quite different as we have a third person with us. And I love it. I love getting to play some of these games I like, but rarely have an option to play.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong was played when we had friends over and we played with 5. It was fun, but I must say when we’ve played with 4 or 5 it is far less enjoyable than with 8. The Witness and Accomplice roles make it much more fun.

Cockroach Poker is a rare out of the dust play for me as it was last played in December 2016. Fun game, but better with 4-5 rather than 3.

Opposite of those two games, I found Quadropolis better with 3 players than 2 and still can’t wait to try at 4. Sleuth is great, but I’m sadly not as good as my wife or her cousin who seem to be able to make a guess while I still have 4-5 possibilities available to me! Another one I’d like to try with 4.

Really fun week for me and this week should be similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
giantmike wrote:

Do you push?

Most definitely. Especially with just two cursed lands and either. Thing else or a couple blanks. Might as well get through the cards faster.

One game I spoiled 5 times...which wasn’t great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday

1/5X Axis & Allies Global 1940

Almost all of USSR got taken over by the axis but they used up a lot of units to do it. USA landed units in Iraq and Siberia, to try to push the axis back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tuesday:
BANG! The Dice Game
Freedom: The Underground Railroad

Saturday:
12 Days of Christmas
Herbaceous
Dice Throne
Oh My Goods!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
24 hour boardgame marathon!

Saturday (noon to midnight):
Pyramid Arcade x2
Flash Point: Fire Rescue x3
BANG! The Dice Game x2
We Didn't Playtest This: Legacies x4
Stockpile
Onitama x4
Santorini
Sagrada

Sunday (midnight to noon):
Azul
Word Slam x10
Scythe
The Grizzled x2
Jaipur
Patchwork
Jarnac
Mint Works x2
Viticulture Essential Edition
Witch Slapped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ross
Scotland
Motherwell
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a game night on Friday, played
Kemet with
Kemet: Ta-Seti and rounded off with a game of
The Mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play:
Masquerade
Mountains of Madness
Had a great weekend with the family😀👍
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JRob
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
This Might Be Offensive
badge
As does everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold (2nd edition) x1

The Great Zimbabwe x1

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose x1

The Resistance: Avalon x2

One Night Ultimate Werewolf x2

The Fox in the Forest x1

7 Wonders Duel x1

Azul x3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane Athimon
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everybody,
just two different games played this week for us, for a total of two plays :)

Alhambra (5th expansion)x1 new (3-player game)
Maka Banax1 new (5player game)

Nothing in complted in term of translation.
Just a lot of work on Endeavor Age of Sail :)

THanks for taking time to read.
Have a nice gaming week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card City XL x2

It's the thinky little city builder I've been looking for.

The Castles of Burgundy: The Dice Game x3

I grabbed this while tired and wanting to get my daily game in. "Let's just play one game" turned into three games. It's one of those!

Escape: The Curse of the Temple x1

Nice to get this game out again, I want to see this get at least 100 plays over time. We made it out with one minute to spare.

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle x1

A comfy win for my son and me. Game 3 again, just to save time. Next stop: Game 4!

Le Havre x2 new!

This is the first game chalked off my Top 20 Unplayed Games.

thumbsup A big feeling of building up from tiny to a large enterprise.
thumbsup Although you have many choices, the choices still felt important and tough at times.
thumbsup Actually quite simple rules, but a meaty game.

thumbsdown I'd prefer a triple-folded board, instead of three boards you put side-by-side.

Indian Summer x3

A solo session. I lost the first two, which is meant to be game over, but I fancied playing the third, which I won. Wohoo!

Port Royal x1

Hurrah, beat my wife! I usually like to get a big card as my first spend but settled for a one-point, five-cost double-cutlass. It worked out pretty well and I ended up adding three admirals. I was sometimes having to leave a lucrative ship for my wife to snap up as I was getting 6 gold from the admirals and had to spend it to avoid risk of being taxed. A strange one this play as by chance hardly any expeditions came out!

Rifles in the Ardennes x3

Good to get going with this again. Two wins on Mission 2 and a win on Mission 3. One of the plays felt particularly epic, with enemy swarming in greater numbers than usual and only making it out on the very last go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Photosynthesis
The Pursuit of Happiness
Aeon's End (solo, Tabletop Simulator)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Fische Fluppen Frikadellen for the first time since 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Two Cities | 6p | 28 min.

Between Two Cities + Capitols | 6p | 1hr 15min.

Sovereign Chess | 2p | about 30 min.

Scoville | 4p | 2h10

Lifeboat | 5p | 1h37
Captain, Lady Lauren, Dr. Harter, Sir Stephen, Frency, First Mate

Monikers + Shut Up & Sit Down + purple box expansions | 9p | 43 min.

Flipships | 4p | 15 min., but didn't finish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Webb
msg tools
Hi everyone, kinda new here and stumbled on this board.

Saturday after hitting a live escape room I introduced Concepts to our little group and played a few rounds of the game. Everytime I pull this game out, everyone finds it frustrating. Our friend's son had a copy of Codenames: Deep Undercover he got for his birthday... silly game, but I may give the original game a try.

Sunday was a BBQ for the holiday, after a big meal of undercooked hamburgers and hotdogs, a multi-hour session of CAH was played. The party consisted of older friends (50+) who get a kick of the Rosanne-esque racism, I'm personally getting bored with the game. (and it seems most of my friends all just want to play that game.)

Play of the night that gave me the best chuckle!
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Monday, is being included since it was part of a 3-day weekend. Three months of Pandemic:Legacy 1(April - June). We dominated all three months the first time YAY US! Then realize we won't have any funding for July. BOO! the CDC!

It was a fun-filled weekend of gaming that I can't get enough of.

edit - trying to figure how to post a pic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Between Two Cities | 6p | 28 min.

Between Two Cities + Capitols | 6p | 1hr 15min.

Sovereign Chess | 2p | about 30 min.

Scoville | 4p | 2h10

Lifeboat | 5p | 1h37
Captain, Lady Lauren, Dr. Harter, Sir Stephen, Frency, First Mate

Monikers + Shut Up & Sit Down + purple box expansions | 9p | 43 min.

Flipships | 4p | 15 min., but didn't finish

Back to playing properly I see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Century: Spice Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a whole month without any games (I am at an internship in a different country, so no games and no friends = no plays ), I finally found a boardgaming group here! They meet on Sunday so that was my only day with gaming this week (and this month...). But we played a bunch of games, both old and new

Kemet
Purrrlock Holmes: Furriarty's Trail
Bloodborne: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday game night:
Dream Home

and
Kingdomino

Through the weekend:
Samurai

Kanagawa

and
Age of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.