Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Concentration camps are apparently childcare now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's ridiculous. Everything about private prisons and detention centers is just wrong. When you introduce a for profit motive, your'e creating major problems that WILL require significant oversight and checks and balances against abuse of prisoner and detainee rights. Unfortunately, as story after story has shown ( I've posted several myself in this forum ) that's not happening. For profit companies have to be eliminated from the equation for justice to prevail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Yeah, that's ridiculous. Everything about private prisons and detention centers is just wrong. When you introduce a for profit motive, your'e creating major problems that WILL require significant oversight and checks and balances against abuse of prisoner and detainee rights. Unfortunately, as story after story has shown ( I've posted several myself in this forum ) that's not happening. For profit companies have to be eliminated from the equation for justice to prevail.

I think it would be wrong to think that the Geo Corporation should have its inmates removed, the company should go bust and no one should end up in one of their facilities. One should allow for a few exceptions. Such as the directors of the company.

(Unfortunately we have politicians who, presented with what's good and bad about the USA, seem to have got the labels on the columns switched and are implementing the wrong ones. Such as privatised prisons.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that conservatives will be up in arms about the disgusting collusion between gov't & private companies writing legislation that takes freedom away from children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A BILL WRITTEN by a private prison operator to assist its immigration detention business could advance through the Texas state Senate this week, despite vocal protest from civil rights groups. The legislation would allow family detention centers to be classified as childcare facilities, enabling Immigrations and Customs Enforcement to detain women and children for longer periods.

Anybody still thinking the GOP are "pro-family" is really criminally stupid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF:

Quote:
The Texas Department of Family Protective Services granted the facilities childcare licenses, but last year a state judge blocked the designation. So Geo Group, the nation’s second-largest private prison operator, went to work assembling legislation that would countermand the judicial ruling. The bill would lower state childcare standards for family detention centers, excluding the facilities from regulations such as ones that prohibit housing children and unrelated adults in the same room.

Nice, GOP.

Quote:
The Karnes facility earns about $55 million per year for the Geo Group. But in part because of the standing judicial order, the population is only about 100 in an 830-bed facility.

Disgusting. It's all about numbers.

Keep looking away, America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Why should there be a financial incentive for more prisoners, cheap labor or both? That's some pretty sick capitalism. Reminds me of the kids for cash scandal. Maybe we could outsource policing, too! A financial incentive to put some pre-cog robocops on the street!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sajberhippien wrote:

They have special prison buses for babies all ready for their customers.

How tragically symbolic of the country. Sad part is that this is part of PR release by the GEO company un 2016, as they are so proud of their work apparently
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
sajberhippien wrote:

They have special prison buses for babies all ready for their customers.

How tragically symbolic of the country. Sad part is that this is part of PR release by the GEO company un 2016, as they are so proud of their work apparently

Jesus that's a real thing? I thought it was an Onion thing at first.

I think it's time to nuke Texas from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

They just gained some serious points in the Which State is the Worst contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the baby round-up bus makes me really sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb

The whole idea of private prisons is about as ugly as you get. The bottom line quite literally depends on the failure of rehabilitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edgarthewoebringer wrote:

The whole idea of private prisons is about as ugly as you get. The bottom line quite literally depends on the failure of rehabilitation.

You know, as a society, and as a market, you'd think we could come together to incentivize prisons to rehabilitate offenders. Carrot or stick, I don't care -- get money if someone doesn't reoffend after 1/2/5 years, lose money if someone reoffends after 1/2/5 years, I don't care, give them a reason to give a shit about the awful conditions that occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:

You know, as a society, and as a market, you'd think we could come together to incentivize prisons to rehabilitate offenders. Carrot or stick, I don't care -- get money if someone doesn't reoffend after 1/2/5 years, lose money if someone reoffends after 1/2/5 years, I don't care, give them a reason to give a shit about the awful conditions that occur.

Probably more effective to cut out the middle-man there and just pay the convicts themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Terwox wrote:

Probably more effective to cut out the middle-man there and just pay the convicts themselves.

Perhaps? I'd say both may be effective -- if prisons actually cared about prisoners not coming back, it would be in their favor to change the way they interacted w/ inmates.

As an institution, if the monetary focus of their institution was "helping people never return" instead of "money per head locked up," that would be effective in addition to telling people "if you don't return to prison, we will subsidize your return to society."

But America has this idea that "criminal" means "evil," and paying them directly isn't politically viable; paying prisons to run in a way to does rehab people is perhaps more palatable to "tough on crime" conservatives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:

There is a danger here: If you execute every single prisoner, then there is no danger of re-offence. Much cheaper too...

Speaking of prisoners: How is the War on Drugs going? Is it still on or the War on Terror took all the funds out of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

They also need more/longer custodial sentences to maintain occupancy which was a concern a few years ago.

Quote:
"My concern would be that our state would be obligated to maintain these (occupancy) rates and subtle pressure would be applied to make sentencing laws more severe with a clear intent to drive up the population," Werholtz said.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-01/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.