Popular Tags: [View All]
Maxime Bouchard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

I was wondering if text affecting Hero, like Voice in the Dark, and multiple Buff, Debuff and attack, also affect Henchmen or if they are kinda protected from most everything except Fight.

Thank you for your input :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules booklet, allies are treated as heroes in all ways except they can not be selected to pass a skill test. Also for hero count, (to determine threat level for example) for every three full allies you have, you increase the posse level by one hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
According to the rules booklet, allies are treated as heroes in all ways except they can not be selected to pass a skill test. Also for hero count, (to determine threat level for example) for every three full allies you have, you increase the posse level by one hero.
Regarding the hero count; are only advanced allies counted or also basic allies?
I assume only advanced allies but its not clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only Advanced. And it's set at the beginning of the Mission (like Posse Level) so if you lose some Henchies mid-adventure (likely), the game doesn't automatically get easier.

Something else to be aware of that isn't as clear as it could be in the rules: Advanced Allies are never called on to make Encounter-based tests that have a "Hero Selection" icon right next to them. That little icon that means either All Heroes, One Hero, or One Random Hero - Allies don't participate in any of these. The rules are clear for One Random Hero, but not for the others so I thought I would mention it.

That being said, any time there is NO Encounter icon and the game uses wording like "all Heroes" or "each Hero", Advanced Allies ARE included (this includes Darkness, Growing Dread, Depth Events, etc). Beware. This also includes potential results FROM an Encounter-Icon-based Test failure/success; for instance: If an Encounter Icon indicates that "All Heroes" need to make a Cunning 5+ test, then none of your Advanced Allies will take part in that test. BUT, if the card goes on to say "if no Hero passes the test, all heroes take D6 Wounds ignoring Defense" then the Allies will suffer that result along with the rest of the posse.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August W.
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great explanation. That clears up all the confusion/questions I had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Weaver
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
A late, related question: What about certain end of mission rewards for advanced allies - like lose 1 sanity permanently, roll on injury table, gain 2 health permanently, etc. It is not stated as one of the exceptions in the Allies rulebook to them being a Hero that they do not count as heroes with regards to end of mission rewards, so do they apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s a good question—one I asked a while back.

The answer is that when it comes to end mission rewards/consequences that you should skip Allies—just like in tbe cases of gaining loot or death, Allies have their own conditions for those.

Side note=I will say that out of all the expansions, no expansion has made me look up more questions than the ally one—Allies have a really significantly good impact on the game otherwise. I love Allies, just that Rulebook really interacts with so many rules in such weird ways. the worst offenders is the the enemies that count sub-hero Information (ie, enemy gets x life/attack per mutation or Darkstone on a hero). I also apply the optional FAQ rule of equipment cost to henchmen where an upgrade=1 level and veteran=1 level (in terms of how expensive an item they can use). I also know there was a whole werewolves thing that was similarly hashed out. Ultimately most of these concerns have been unofficially FAQed, but a lot have never really been officially answered (if I recall correctly). In general, there are some encounter cards or enemies that force me to house rule something about an ally counting 1/3 of a hero.

oh and then let’s not forget the subgroup of allies (animals) that also end up with questions—I can remember a very heated debate over 1000 Donkeys.

masterli wrote:
A late, related question: What about certain end of mission rewards for advanced allies - like lose 1 sanity permanently, roll on injury table, gain 2 health permanently, etc. It is not stated as one of the exceptions in the Allies rulebook to them being a Hero that they do not count as heroes with regards to end of mission rewards, so do they apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls