Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Survival board game just like Don't Starve PC game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mateusz Borat
msg tools
Is there any board game similar to PC game Don't Starve? Game where your goal is to stay alive for as long as you can?

I found 2 games (This War of Mine and Robinson) that are really promising but I wonder if there's more. The only reason I haven't bought Robinson yet is its weight - I heard this game is really hard to beat and to fully understand all the rules. Is there any surival game easier to learn than Robinson? Is This War of Mine easier?

Also I would like this game to be quite new (max 10 years) because I don't really like old boardgames graphics, it's harder for me to "feel" the game. Polish translation of the game is also necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leila
United States
Auburn
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I don't have another game to recommend, but I wanted to urge you not to be afraid of Robinson. It was one of the first games I bought, and I didn't think the rules were as hard to understand as everyone says. It is difficult to remember all the rules at first, but after a few games it's not that bad. It's true that it's not easy to beat, but most of the scenarios are actually easier to beat playing solo, so you could try that first. And for a board game, it's really immersive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
msg tools
Robinson Crusoe is my favorite game right now because it is a survival game and super hard. It's very rewarding to actually beat a scenario and is the only game to give me the "survival game" feel (personally I like Ark). As already stated in the thread, I'd highly encourage you to not be scared of the complexity. Watch a few playthroughs on youtube and you'll be fine, it just takes a little bit of dedication.

As an aside, if anyone else knows of survival games like this I'd be super interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topolowaty wrote:
The only reason I haven't bought Robinson yet is its weight - I heard this game is really hard to beat and to fully understand all the rules.
Normally, I feel that the BGG weight rating is very accurate, but in the case of 'Robinson Crusoe', it's way off.

Imho, the biggest problem is (used to be?) the bad (English) rule book. Once you've understood the rules, the game is actually really easy to play and I even consider it suitable for small children.

It plays well at all player counts and the scenarios offer great variety, since each one requires you to focus on different aspects of the game.

With a bit of experience, the scenarios aren't all that hard, either. My success rate is well over 50% (except for 'Cannibal Island' which is friggin' hard).

TL;DR: I highly recommend 'Robinson Crusoe'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Borat
msg tools
So there is no other survival games beside This War of Mine and Robinson? So I guess I'll be buying one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 7th Continent. If you starve you're dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dawes
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Wilderness? (I don't know the Don't Starve PC Game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
topolowaty wrote:
So there is no other survival games beside This War of Mine and Robinson? So I guess I'll be buying one of them.
I just thought of another one: Dead of Winter: The Long Night. While it features zombies, it's really more about trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic environment. You're just as likely to lose the game due to lack of food as from being overrun by zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Really don't mind if you sit this one out
mbmb
Doomsword wrote:
Agricola?

Are you serious...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Novark Perion
msg tools
mbmbmb
Haven't played this but from what I have seen, it looks like an underdog. The game is: The Walking Dead: No Sanctuary

The closest I can consider to be the Don't Starve equivalent would be The 7th Continent. You explore different biomes, craft tools, hunt for food, encounter weird object on your first playthrough and ask "will I die if I fight it? or what does this do?"

For the comparison on both boardgames you mentioned. Robinson Crusoe is not hard once you get used to the rules. In fact, once you know what to prioritize on each scenario, it becomes a storybook for me instead. The only gripe is the limited actions you can take and the requirement to build the basic is exploring a terrain. While This War of Mine, it gives me that tension if I am going to take a huge risk to get more materials I needed and/or to sacrifice certain aspects in order to survive. (Killing one of your survivor, priotizing certain builds, etc). To boot it off, the random events keeps the surprises and choices interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play Don't Starve long enough to find out, but can you actually win that game, or is it just a "you're going to die only a matter of when"? If so, is that important to the board game you're looking for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to jump in and say Robinson was ALSO one of thee very first games I bought, and we learned and played it fine. And I have the version with the absolutely garbage rule book and ugly components. From what I hear, the newest version has been vastly improved in terms of understandability.

It's not really bad! Game is definitely hard, but not impossible. I think I have a slightly-above-fifty-percent win ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
I didn't play Don't Starve long enough to find out, but can you actually win that game, or is it just a "you're going to die only a matter of when"? If so, is that important to the board game you're looking for?

Its beatable but its quite the journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
And even that is putting it very lightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.