Subject: Balance and playing time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Houliston
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I stumbled across this title and am very intrigued. It looks beautiful and see a couple things I really like, some of which is variable ZOCs and unit activation process.

Questions for Kim:

1. I enjoyed the size and scale of The Road to Cheren and have a question. How is the balance shaping up in this one? I read a post where you were tweaking the balance -- something very important to me. Can you share your experiences thus far and how balance is taking shape?

2. What is the typical playing time? This is a big consideration in how often a game gets played at our First Minnesota group. Perhaps lay out a first (longer), third (average) and fifth-type (experienced) of play.

Many thanks, Kim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone to great extent to balance the game. This may not be obvious at start since there are many opportunities to fail against a better opponent in this game. But to players that are equally good and who have grasped the system will find it balanced.

Playing time ... well. Does any game keep within the promised playing time? Does one ever manage to play a complete game during an evening? The Nemesis rules are not difficult although there may be some new aspects that one has to get used to.

I have a system to calculate an honest playing time which is quite accurate. Basically you can do 70 actions during 4 hours. An action is what a player does during a single phase (sometimes a phase is a ½ action, sometimes a double action, to make it more accurate). So Nemesis has for two experienced players (that don't have to check the rules all the time, and that have played the first three game turns a few times and know what are reasonable moves):

2 players * 4 phases each * 10 game turns. Consider the Assault phases a double action since that is when most of the strategic thinking takes place. Then comes a shared "end of game turn phase" after each game turn. Add 6 actions to set up the game and to remove it afterwards. So: (2 x 5 x 10) + 16 = 116 actions = 6-7 hours plus pauses and chatting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Houliston
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Kim. Very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.