Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Brock
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hello early supporters! Mandate of Heaven still has a few art and game-play quirks that are being worked out. I have identified what I believe are the most pressing ones, and will be testing out the following changes over the next few weeks and months. I would love your thoughts about these changes.

1 - Winter: If you have fewer than 5 cards left in your deck, no cards in play (i.e. no Provinces), and you could pay your maintenance, you can "peacefully abdicate the throne." Bring all of your cards back into your active deck, shuffle, and draw 5 cards. You still move into the next era (Court Cost 2), but do not skip a turn.

2 - Concubine Card: Remove "building" icon.

3 - Art: New Board art that looks more map-like; each row becomes a named region of China

4 - Asymmetric start + Player mat: Player's receive 3 Dynasty cards at the start of the game (to replace Court Coin Tokens). Each Dynasty card has a court cost, a special ability, and a "goal" (i.e. attack two rows in one turn). The goal can be accomplished for victory points at the end of the game (marked on the player mat). The player mat holds the 3 Dynasty cards and indicates clear places around it for the player's draw, active discard and inactive discard piles.

Please comment. Let me know what you think and whether you have any further suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek R.
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Aaron:

Thank you for demoing the game last weekend. I really enjoyed it. Regarding your proposed changes, here are my 2 cents:

1. Winter: Don't know. I need more plays in order to give a educated opinion.

2. Concubine Card: This should really help with drafting in the early game. Could it also cause bust to appear too often in the early game as well?

3. Great! This should up the presentation of the game tremendously. You can use the link below as a reference. Maybe 4 regions as Northern Tribal Frontiers, the north, Central, South. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regions_of_the_People%...

4. These should be stretch goals or advance variants for the kickstarter. If you make the start Asymmetrical, it would increase the difficulty as well as teaching time. I love the player mat, but it's not a essential addition.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need help play testing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brock
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Derek,

Thanks for the input! I will definitely use it to inform any final decisions.

I would love to meet up to do further play-testing, as well as to just get some regular game-time in. When do you usually hit up Game Empire to play games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek R.
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m usually there Monday or Tuesday. However, my schedule is more fluid in the summer, now that school is almost over. Shoot me a message, we can arrange something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.