BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: If you were living in a van... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chaon choan
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Which and how much game would you bring along ?

Imagine you drop your sedentary lifestyle and start a new van life.

You will live in a van, like transporter VW or bigger mercedes Sprinter.
But not a lot of spare space for your hobby.
Yeah even a bicycle and equipment take less space than boardgames xD !

So maybe you can stack 4 to 10 games in your truck. Which game would you bring ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking a lot of card games, drop the packaging and get a storage bin. That and Carcassonne, can't live without Carc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have plenty of time for games if I were living, in a van, down, by, the river.

I could even become a motivational speaker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was living in a van, I wouldn't bring any games at all.

Space would be precious and there certanly will not be any space to play comfortably. So it will just be useless burden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pea Bunny
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Eh, What's up Doc?
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't take anything that I could play by memory easily enough or with pen and paper like chess, checkers and the like. I'd have a small tote with multiple miscellaneous pieces, cards, and dice etc. This tote would essentially be my game 'tickle-trunk' that could be used for multiple games or memory and paper games so as not to use up precious space yet provide almost endless possibility.

But then on top of that, Dominion, Carcasonne (agreed), Ticket to Ride and probably Agricola or something to that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Re: If you were living in a van...

Magnetic Chess and any other magnetic games a person could find. Draw a selection of boards on the flat side of the vehicle. Problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pea Bunny
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Eh, What's up Doc?
mbmbmbmbmb
Or if this was a large van make the roof a rooftop gaming patio. Excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can fit a dozen PNP games and bits (dice, cubes, wet erase pen) in the space of a 3 ring binder.

Everything else I might sell for space & $ concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Isn’t The Campaign for North Africa the correct response?

For me though I’d need at least Hive Pocket, Lost Cities and Stacrobats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Am I solo or traveling/living with 1 or more people? Am I expecting to visit people that will play games with me, or will most of my gaming just be solo or 2-player if traveling with a partner?

Honestly, I’d bring my favorite games that I play a lot. Unless you go high tech with electrical gear, van life means minimal tv and video games, so I feel it’s worth making space for boardgames IF they will get played a lot. But no point having a collection - only have games you WILL play. Chuck boxes, chuck rules (if you have them digitally), store components tightly in labeled ziplock bags, throw them in a net hang on your ceiling.

Small card games, roll and writes, etc. are great for traveling or just always having available in your car, but for my home, even if it’s a small van, I want my favorite games that I will never get tired of, not fillers just because they’re small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
pete belli wrote:
Quote:
Re: If you were living in a van...

Magnetic Chess and any other magnetic games a person could find. Draw a selection of boards on the flat side of the vehicle. Problem solved.

In many fitted-out van homes, there’s little to no uncovered metal siding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stone
Australia
Wavell Heights
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With some minor modifications, the GeekChic table could probbaly just about squeeze in.
Its one of the bare essentials, like batteries, water, food and fuel.
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Space in the van is irrelevant. You drive to the houses of friends to play, or go to the FLGS for game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds perfect for the Chess-and-a-Half Travel Kit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"And you won't know a thing till you get inside." (Mystery lyrics; name that song.)
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
Space in the van is irrelevant. You drive to the houses of friends to play, or go to the FLGS for game night.

No, the van doesn't run. And you're stuck way out in the boonies.

(Which I guess would make this yet another desert-island thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotana wrote:
If I was living in a van, I wouldn't bring any games at all.

Space would be precious and there certanly will not be any space to play comfortably. So it will just be useless burden.

Same here. If I'm constraining my living space to a van, I've decided to travel and sample wherever I go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael colbert
msg tools
mbmb
CC this is quite relevant, (probably has already been a thread), but I have to decide what games we will be taking when we move hemispheres towards the middle of next year. What the kids like, what I like and so on.

Oh BTW. the final decisions haven't been made yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Comstock
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy. None. I’d spend my time driving around to Cons and shops and such and play other peoples games with my greasy Cheetos fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were living in a van...

Well, gaming is a hobby I really enjoy, so I'd dedicate some space to it, but I would try to condense what I could. That said, I'd likely bring something along the lines of:

Zombicide: Black Plague. This would be my biggest box, and I'd try to compress the contents as much as possible. While big, it would give me a good bang for the buck. I'd also include the core rulebooks for Pathfinder/D&D, or get them digitally. Lastly, I'd also try to pack a few paint pots and brushes so I can finish painting my extra minis. This would allow me to play the game, play an RPG, and paint minis. Also, as part of my meandering, I'd try to host the game at game conventions I'd drive around the country attending in exchange for badges and such.

Next,I'd bring Pandemic. I enjoy it and it can be played solo or in a small group. I like that it's co-op, so usually makes for a positive experience.

Lastly, I'd try to bring a small collection of relatively easy to teach (or perhaps known) gateway type games. (Catan, Splendor, Chess, playing cards, etc.) Since it sounds like I'd be on the move in this hypothetical, I imagine I'd be moving around meeting new people. Having games that are easy to learn and get into means I could teach them to people I meet along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well when I went on a three month travelling camping trip up north I took;

Hive
Dominion
Chess
Playing Cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still trying to figure out which games I would want if I were stranded on an island or if I were the last person on Earth. Stop pressuring me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. "I pity the fool" T
United States
Jefferson County (close enough)
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, constraints! Husband has declared that my games shall be stored in one specific area of the house. This is a shelving unit in the living room. It is 3 feet high by 1 foot deep by 10 feet long. Through extremely creative and careful planning (read constant rearranging, cutting down of boxes, reboxing, etc...) I have managed to squeeze over 250 games into this space! And there is still a little bit of room for a few more. So, even if I were living in a small van, I could probably squeeze a surprising amount of stuff, including board games, in. It's all about the organization, baby!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...down by the river...

Pete (smiles and thinks of Chris Farley)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this depends on why I am living in a van. If I NCAA no other living choice then I will be spending my money,time and resources on getting out of the van situation.

If I am living in a van for some money saving reason such that I could afford a place but I was being suoer frugal to save up then I would stick with digitial games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.