3 Posts

Clockwork Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Does Ritual of Blood seem imbalanced to anyone else? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abe Lincoln
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So ritual of blood allows its controller to kill 2 soldiers anywhere on the map and gain 1 vp for each one killed for every tower controlled. That seems incredibly strong compared to the other powers in the game, even the other lategame powers. As far as I’ve seen no other power both lets you kill enemies across the map but also gain victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Greenfield Center
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I thought other people might respond to this one, but I'll chip in with some quick comments:

Ritual of Blood is unstoppable if you control 3+ Towers, really good if you control 2, OK if you control 1, and worthless if you control 0. As such, the key is to ensure that none of your opponents gain access to Ritual of Blood AND also have control of 2+ Towers. Since the card will be out there for everyone to see, you should have a decent idea of which player is most likely to go for it (are there multiple towers near their capital, are they saving up Sorcery IP, etc.) and make a concerted effort to strip them of either their IP or their Towers before the Late Age arrives.

All Late Age discoveries have a huge impact on the game, so I'm not sure if I'd say Ritual is clearly more powerful than any other - but of course, I'd say that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abe Lincoln
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean it is a late stage discovery but it seems to do too much compared to other late stage discoveries. Ignoring all the other benefits even controling just 1 tower for all 3 rounds gives you 6 VP which is the same as:

* Having transmutation and at least 2 other discoveries (2 middle age or an early and a late)
* Analytical engine while controlling 2 research territories for the last 3 rounds
* Spire of the Gods
* Divine Right while controling 2 shrines

This isn't even examining the nuking aspect of this discovery which is one of the best in the game. Ritual of Blood compares favorably to pretty much any tile in the game, it's useful in absolutely every situation at any point it becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.