Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Politis
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Repeat of a post on the facebook group, because not everyone here is a member there]

From what I've seen (facebook, bgg and personal experience) monster hunting is the simplest victory condition (it requires minimal strategy and has little player interaction). And, from what I've seen, it is the most frequent win condition as other players can't technically block it (besides also going for the condition themselves or swooping in with the last wound). So if the players going for temples/region victories are at an impasse, it all but guarantees a hunter victory (or in rare cases a King of Kings victory).

So, the other day, I tried out a house rule to make monster hunting just a little more difficult: "When a monster comes out of the event deck, immediately evolve the monster with its summoning card".

Results: I feel it worked really well! Heracles still went for hunts, he killed one and twice got monsters from no wounds to 1 hit left, only for those kills to get sniped away. So if he had managed to finish those monsters, he would have won, but this variant upped the difficulty ever so slightly. I highly recommend it, especially if you have a high number of monster hunt wins.

Also, I feel the monster evolution mechanic is a really cool idea, but in the practice you almost never see them (we got, at most, 2 in a single game). Using this variant, therefore, gives more variety of monsters (evolution B/C instead of original A with a small chance at B/C) and increases the odds that new monsters/new quests will come out.

So, technically, while each individual hunt is more difficult from the evolutions, globally there are more monsters available to hunt, giving the hunter more options/opportunities if someone snipes a hunt.

Use it, or don't use it, to your heart's content. But as for me, it is definitely a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tesla Crashed
msg tools
Funny because in those same post, I see lots of people responding that Hunting wins very little and is easily blocked as long as everyone is paying attention, which is our groups experience as well.

Hunting gets the most complaints because it feels cheapest losing to it.

Most wins in my groups game's are by Warlord of Favored of the Gods conditions.

Hunting won often when we were learning the game, but now we all keep an eye on hunters, which is an interesting dynamic to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
Have you been playing with this variant? Im curious how its been going

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Arking
United States
Potomac
MD
flag msg tools
mbmb
After several plays (mostly 2 players) I have found the win conditions pretty even. In fact, in two player games, I have noticed if you focus on one win condition your more easily defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.