Jeff Carrier
msg tools
Hi, I'm just discovering this game now and watching videos... but quick questions...

The "campaign" plays over 12 games... but do you need to stick with the same # of players once you start a "campaign"?

IF YES... I see there are 2 blank sides to the game board. Are there enough stickers in the base box to support a 2-player campaign on one side, and say a 4 player campaign on the other side? (I could see playing with my GF sometimes, and with another couple the rest of the time.)

Is it possible to play the game without using the "sticker" method at all, and instead just laying them down and using photo's to track board progress? Or would this open up other complications and is not feasible?

Is it possible to play a "for fun" game after, say, game 6 without making permanent changes to the board? Because it sounds like you can do this after game 12 if you want... either way, is it still fun to do these "for fun" games?

Way more questions than I expected to ask... THANKS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need to stick with the same # of players for each game, but it is recommended. There are automa rules that you can use for players who may be absent for a game or two.

There are two blank sides, but it's not recommended to run 2 campaigns at once, and you do not have enough buildings in the base box to support 2 campaigns. You would need to purchase a recharge pack. It is also not recommended to start a 2nd campaign until you finish the first (The recharge pack would spoil the game for you, as components are not packaged the same way as with the base box)

It is not recommended to play without sticking the stickers on the board. People have asked, but it would take a lot of work to pull off. The game is meant to use the stickers and is best played that way.

I don't know that the rules support a "for fun" game in the middle of the campaign. This is the first time I've heard this asked. Typically many of the actions you do in the game affect the board. I think this is potentially possible, but the actions that allow you to change the state of the game would need to be altered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carrier
msg tools
joepunman wrote:
I don't know that the rules support a "for fun" game in the middle of the campaign. This is the first time I've heard this asked. Typically many of the actions you do in the game affect the board. I think this is potentially possible, but the actions that allow you to change the state of the game would need to be altered.

Thank you for the quick reply!! I asked this question because the "How It's Played" video mentions early that at the end of the 12 game campaign, you will now have a "personalized game of Charterstone that you can continue playing", so I assume the rules at least support continued play of a "completed" board just "for fun", without the need to buy the recharge pack?

I hoped that you could also do such a thing at game 5, if you so desired...

And since it is not recommended to change # of players... is it naturally supported to at least INCREASE the number of players in a new game? If my GF and I start with only 2 players, can we add 2 more players at game 3 or 4 if we wanted without issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirka Dirka
msg tools
mb
after campaign is over, you can play as many games as you want with your board without buying anything else.

adding players is easy, and removing them is no issue either. if those new players plan to stick around, just give them comparable glory to what you have already earned in your previous games as a catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
And since it is not recommended to change # of players... is it naturally supported to at least INCREASE the number of players in a new game? If my GF and I start with only 2 players, can we add 2 more players at game 3 or 4 if we wanted without issues?

It's really designed to be played at the same player count every time. I'd embrace that part of the design. You can add Automa (dummy players) and have real players take over for a game, but it's not ideal. The story isn't a really strong element (for a legacy game) but it's still way more fun for everyone to be there for the whole ride.

Quote:
I hoped that you could also do such a thing at game 5, if you so desired...

You won't have a completed game after game 5. The game keeps adding in new elements, and the rules to play your completed board aren't available until after you have finished the 12 game campaign. I'm sure you could find them online somewhere, but they won't work for your unfinished game. Well, they might, but I can't see that being a very fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
z3m0g wrote:
The "campaign" plays over 12 games... but do you need to stick with the same # of players once you start a "campaign"?

It works best if you not only stick with the same number of players, but with the same actual players. Each player is trying to build up their own charter, and campaign scores are tracked over the full campaign, so switching players between games in the campaign is roughly the equivalent of switching players around between turns in any other game. (Sure, you *can* do it, but you shouldn't!)

Similarly, it's possible for players to skip a game, but again, that's kind of like playing any other game and saying, hey, I'm going to run to the store, just skip my turn, ok? Sure, you *can* do that, but it's going to damage that player's position. (You can use an automa to stand in for the player, and that helps somewhat -- but it's still like grabbing a random passerby and having them play your turns while you're gone.)

Quote:
IF YES... I see there are 2 blank sides to the game board. Are there enough stickers in the base box to support a 2-player campaign on one side, and say a 4 player campaign on the other side? (I could see playing with my GF sometimes, and with another couple the rest of the time.)

The stickers are "per campaign", not "per player", so even a 4-p game will eventually use all of the stickers. The inactive charters will still build buildings.

Quote:
Is it possible to play the game without using the "sticker" method at all, and instead just laying them down and using photo's to track board progress? Or would this open up other complications and is not feasible?

If you are a glutton for punishment, you can try this, but I wouldn't want to. When I was a kid, my friends and I would play Axis and Allies over several sessions, "saving" the game between sessions by writing down the armies in each area. Charterstone without stickers wouldn't be that bad, but I don't have the patience for that any more. YMMV.

Quote:
Is it possible to play a "for fun" game after, say, game 6 without making permanent changes to the board? Because it sounds like you can do this after game 12 if you want... either way, is it still fun to do these "for fun" games?

It's probably possible, but I wouldn't recommend it. The basic problem is that two of the core actions of the campaign games are building and unlocking, and you wouldn't be able to do those during your "for fun" games, and rest of the game that eventually replaces those hasn't been completed yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.