Popular Tags: [View All]
Bertrand D.
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey guys!

I'am addicted to this game! currently we are playing a 2p campaign and its our first playthrough...

we are at lantern year 10 (just managed our first showdown with king's man).

I'am considering buying my first expansion ...

Which one would you recommend ?
and is it better to finish the campaign first before adding new content ?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pruden
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finish the first campaign. My recommendations are Dragon King, Gorm, and Sunstalker in that order.

Also the website will update soon. Probably in a month or so and you can grab any of those for MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PromptEos wrote:
Hey guys!

I'am addicted to this game! currently we are playing a 2p campaign and its our first playthrough...

Thanks!

I agree with finishing the first campaign. A few thoughts:

Dragon King/Sunstalker are both brand new campaigns built off the core. They manage to really give you a new experience, and so I'd recommend that for most newness. People generally like DK more than Sun, but I'd go with whichever flavor you like better.

Gorm replaces the White Lion. This is pretty clutch if you've played the first 10 LY a million times are are sick of the lion fight.

Flower, Lion, and Dung Beetle Knights are all among the most interesting adds as far as injecting new material into the game. DBK is probably regarded as the most fun and interesting fight of the expansion material (it's also pretty hard). I'd probably rank them DBK, Flower, and then Lion.

Those would be my top recommendations. If you dig a little bit, there's a ton of rec forums for the expansion material on bgg. One other thing to consider is the KD:M advanced ruleset (which I think is coming out in the next wave?) is supposed to have a structure for building your own campaign system. That'll probably be a great place to start for mixing and matching expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Gorm.

I'm only in the middle of my 2nd campaign, and I'm sure I've ready this somewhere but... if you're looking for basic resources:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Based on their resource decks, each of the early creatures are stacked with a different types of resources:

White Lion = Hides
Screaming Antelope = Bone
Gorm = Organs

It just feels more complete to me to play with Gorm. Hunt what you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand D.
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks !

makes sense since some of them are new campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Sloth might be my spirit animal
badge
Ok, ok, NOW I get it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, gorm is a LY1 quarry in addition to lion, and actually its gear complements well the catarium.

Lion has a fair distribution of resources, possibly giving a bit more hides, while the antelope is actually chock full of organs. Gorm has great resources which count for multiple keywords, scales well through the game and has a lot of positive you will want. Hunt is not easy though, while the Showdown is still simple, but anyway with some dangerous cards here and there. It will make settlement management in the early to mid years a bit trickier, though. Of course, as early quarries go, it's the best out there.

DBK is my favorite quarry, ever. It is not straightforward in any aspect (showdown, aftermath, crafting or gear), but it's funny, incredibly tactical and rewarding. However, it's a late game one, so you might want to get comfortable with bringing down big stuff before attempting it: specifically, you want to learn to think "this monster is strong with this and weak against this. What can I bring to the hunt to exploit its weaknesses and minimize its strengths?". Like Adam said, "preparation goes a long way".

If you want to try again a core campaign, get those two first.

If you want an alternate campaign, dragon king and sunstalker are great options.

Dragon king campaign requires a bit of planning ahead, features the best nemesis (and the second easiest) in the game and plays extremely tense.

Sunstalker campaign is a bit more dull, with a lot of specific events which have a great flavor, in which you can build powerhouses.

Both add a lot, and sunstalker also features an important armor set addition for a core campaign, as well as a lot of stuff for hunt events, cooking, bows and some excellent melee weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PromptEos wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!

Hang on, did you beat the King's Man? If so, I'm quite impressed. I'm at exactly the same point in my first campaign. Everything has been going really well. Even beat the first Butcher. But the King's Man slaughtered my team. Thankfully I sent a team of also-rans instead of my A squad. But it was not close. Didn't help that the King's Man killed one of my survivors in his FIRST TURN. Jeez. Was tough from there. I'm considering actually doing an "out-of-campaign" replay against the King's Man tomorrow with my A-Squad, just to see if I could take him.

Anyway, I bought the Gorm, Dragon King and Dung Beetle Knight expansions during the kickstarter but haven't added them yet. Very tempted though. A bit sad that I didn't get the Sunstalker as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sort of in the same position with what's next. We are on our first campaign and just defeated the Watcher. I feel like we have been incredibly lucky to have gotten this far on our first ever campaign too. Once its all over I'm looking to add expansions and do a new campaign. We have all bar Slenderman and the Lonely Tree. Think from what this thread has said we will go for the DK next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought 7 expansions so far, but have only added the Gorm and DBK (Dung Beetle Knight) thus far and that's really enhanced playing through a second People of the Latern campaign (Core box campaign).

You can't go wrong adding either of these as your first expansion if you are only grabbing one. (Both add quite a bit of content in the way of additional cards as well. If only going one though I'd probably go Gorm over DBK, but merely because I don't want to fight lion after lion again).

In fairness though, I'd recommend playing through the core campaign at least once as is, without adding any expansions, as it works quite well and lets you experience everything as is and helps the expansions actually stand out as something different in the first instance.

If you are wanting a different campaign (Which is what I'm going to do next after this campaign is over, but unsure of what other expansions I'll add to it) Dragon King or Sunstalker would both be good options, however the Dragon King isn't actually fought in his campaign (You fight the Tyrant nemesis instead, which is included in the same expansion pack), the dragon is actually added to non-dragon campaigns as a high level quarry.

Anyway thought I share my thoughts as I was where you were only a couple of months back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As many fellow geeks here have stated, there is some sort of consensus regarding the expansions and their utility:

- For new, different campaigns: DK or SS. The one which you prefer. I'd rather play some core campaigns (maybe with some extra/ alternative quarries) a bit before trying one of these, but that's a personal opinion.

- Gorm (for an early WL alternative) and DBK are probably the better additional quarry options. As Alessio said, if you play by the rules, Gorm does not substitute the lion. It is played in addition to it within the campaign, so you can choose your quarry each non-nemesis year as you deem fit.

- Other nemesis: I'd say Manhunter and Slenderman are the most popular. I personally love the Slenderman's design, so different from the Kingsman, which it replaces.

- Other quarries: I also like spidicules. It is meant to replace the antelope on year 2, but I actually place the spidicules triggering event on year 3, so I can choose between the two, instead of waiving the antelope (i find this more relevant since 1.5, where level 2+ antelopes rewards were enhanced, while the expansions remain untouched).

- You can also go the knights route.

- Despite being a great mini in my opinion, most of us agree that the Lonely tree, as it is, is probably the least useful of the current expansions (together with the green armor kit, which is just a bunch of gear, almost impossibe to craft, which requires resources from a lot of the other expansions).

Al in all, I'd say that there is no terrible extra content, but depending on what you are looking for, some expansions will do the trick way better than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Hang on, did you beat the King's Man? If so, I'm quite impressed. I'm at exactly the same point in my first campaign.

We did (I'm playing the campaign with the OP)... but it was quite the fight. We did bring a Savior to the battle however, which really helped.

Starting the campaign we thought we wouldn't last long with 2 childbirth deaths in the first couple of LY, and the Murder event right at the start also. But it was probably a blessing since we realized that it was more important to build equipment and the settlement than actual survivors. Sure, it's nice to have them get lots of Hunt XP and specializations, but it usually comes with disorders, and when you get masticated with the flip of a card or a knight comes by our camp and slaughters our best, we can keep going just fine by transferring the equipment to babies.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions for "what's next".. We're going to finish the first campaign and then add new stuff after that. Oh, and that's also going to be for when Bertrand learns to paint the minis.. they are looking pretty grey right now. haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.