United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fave to play is either Dark and Gooey or Ice Cream Scream, at the moment. I have a sweet tooth, I guess. In the many times we have played, I have seen every single franchise win the game (recently winning with ICS). I had created two new franchises, but they haven't been played enough yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Favorite Franchise to Play?
bop517 (#33996),

In our games, chicken and pizza seem to be the favorites. I don't know whether they are the best choices, but they tend to be selected first.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 (#33996),

Yea, have conquered many a time with the Brothers Burger. The meat and cheese mavens have become culinary kings under my able steerage.

Love this game. Want the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tstone (#70956),

I'd love to get it too. I have created two new franchises for my group, China King and Taco Shack. I'm not entirely satisfied on the balance they offer (i.e., I haven't seem them win yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff B.

Saint Louis-ish
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've seen Family Style win? Wow. I've played a lot, and THAT thing never works.

And to respond to the question - Burger Brothers. As long as they are developed carefully, they just overwhelm everything else. (Careful not to get them surrounded by Ice Cream or Doughnuts, though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SisyphusX (#456052),

Yes, I have. Actually, I had one friend who seemed to take FS all the time. He won two of his last three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Many a victory with Burger Bros. Also have done well with Pizza Pavilion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haines
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizza Pavilion and Burger Brothers seem to be the winners for our group. Dark and Gooey?! That one is currently universally loathed here, it's never in (though now maybe I should reconsider). I guess you could establish it quickly as a Boardwalk/Park Place type of property by getting the franchises up fast and hope someone lands on it and flames out.

So, what strategies do people have? We tend to focus on getting large "sit down" chains going first, then picking up a cheap secondary like Ice Cream Scream as a defensive blocker to grab markets near enemies and so stop multiple chains from joining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Ice Cream Scream and have won with it as my main corporation. With ICS, because it is soo cheap and large is to expand as much and as quickly as possible. The money starts coming in as you start getting around Start (and have built things up) moreso than someone landing on you. I do like to augment this with, if possible, either Dark and Gooey, or Steak and Salad. Steak and Salad is one I look at as being a stand alone if paired with ICS. If I can connect it up, great. If not, ICS is bringing in my money as I lap the board, and once you get three franchises on one market for S&S, you are bringing in nice cash there, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first choice is Pizza (balance between expansion & income)... with my 2nd choice being a Ice Cream or Donut expander combined with Steak for income/player zapping.

As noted by others, we rarely see Dark & Gooey come out... Family Style does once in a while, but not often enough to see how it would play out as a "lead" chain.

Man, you guys are making me want to take this to game night tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Normally I stay out of threads such as this (since I don't want to contaminate discussion with my own opinions), but I can't resist sharing this story...

FFF was the first game I published. It had been playtested a *lot* (well over 500 times by several different groups) and we thought the game was balanced, but you always worry a bit about groupthink among your test groups.

At the first convention I go to, someone comes up and says, "FFF is broken -- Burger Brothers always wins." Uh oh... then another person comes up a couple of hours later and says, "FFF is completely broken, Steak and Salad always wins." Over the weekend, I heard the same sort of thing several times more, always with a different corporation (Ice Cream, Pizza, and Chicken). I breathed a sigh of relief... but it was a lesson in terms of both local groupthink and the tendency of players to make snap judgements (hey, I do it myself! ;-).

End of story. Commenting on the discussion, some corporations can be very strong by themselves while others, such as Family Style, Dark & Gooey, and Whole Doughnut, tend to do best when paired with another corporation. The timing of which one to open first and when to open the second corporation depends on the board position.

In the expansion, besides adding two new corporations (with titles -- Taco Today and Noodles to Go -- quite similar to Gary's, proving that great minds think alike! ;-), I did swap two advertising costs in the base corporations. But this was a rather minor tweak and not something that I think is essential for play balance (a "nice to have" as opposed to a "must fix"). The game has held up quite well over 15 years.

Take care,
tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

Thanks for jumping in... any chance you'd favor us with the skinny on a possible reprint of the game?cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I have had some discussions with several companies, but no takers yet.

Take care,
tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a note on a couple of recent playings. I managed to win with Whole Doughnut as my main company. Quite shocking, actually. I had seen it win and did not have it in me to give it a whirl. But lately, I am going against my grain.

I also played Family Style to a win, as well (again, I seen done but had not done myself).

Now only if I could get the hats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read this thread and must say that the winner in nearly all the games we used to play (it was in rotation in my pre-BGG-logging days) was Pizza.

What I can't figure out is how it's released in 1992. I was at Origins '90 (Atlanta - DragonCon) and my friend, Chris, and I happened to bump into Tom. He took us to his room and sold us a copy of every Prism/TimJim game out of his suitcase. At least that's how I remember it, unless Tom came to another DragonCon (and I only went to one other--the following year, 1991).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
FFF was published May, 1992. I attended DragonCon in late 1993 (if memory serves), where I would have had Outpost, FFF, Time Agent and, possibly, Mystic War with me. Are those the games you bought from me, Randy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the games, plus Suzerain, as I recall. I didn't realize I had gone to DragonCon that late [after starting to go to AvalonCon in 1991 and the Gathering in 1992--that would have been three cons in a year which seems indulgent :) ].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
...that would have been three cons in a year which seems indulgent ].

Sounds like fun to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.