6 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 new questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Antonio Andrades
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi everybody, fans of this wonderful game!!
I have two new questions. I couldn't find an answer to these specific questions after a deep search.

QUESTION A:
If I assault a city, and with my movement i provoke a rampaging enemy... If in my ranged attack phase, I group the rampaging enemy with a enemy token without Fortified ability (but he is fortified however because he is defending a fortified site)... does the rampaging enemy become fortified? And if the rampaging enemy was already Fortified... is it considered Fortified twice? (its Fortified ability, plus the fortified site bonus).

QUESTION B:
I think i understand the resistance to additional combat effects. But... from the rulebook: "Any non-Attack/Block effect from a red card, OR a Unit ability that costs red mana to activate has no effect on enemies with Fire resistance". Does this mean that, if you have a Catapult and pay a red mana (Siege Fire attack 5 if you pay a red mana), has no effect on enemies with Fire resistance? Although it is an Attack effect?

I hope i could explain myself. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A - Note that enemies never gain anything from other enemies (resistance, fortifications). So the rampaging enemy does not become fortified or double fortified.
However, if you group a city defender and a rampaging enemy, you can only play siege attacks.

B - The rule should say "Or a Non Attack/Block unit ability that cost a Red mana..."
You can target a fire resistant enemy with catapults, even if you're paying a red mana. Note that this will be an inefficient attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel is corret!

And no, there is no new questions in this forum hahaha, any question that you can think has already be done here somewhere. Yeah it is tricky to find so always feel free to ask, people will gladly answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
siringo wrote:
I couldn't find an answer to these specific questions after a deep search.
Another resource is the Q&A Compendium, a compilation of many of the answers given to these kinds of questions that have been asked on these forums before, including answers given by those players who posted upstream. The quotes below are from this compilation, and may provide some additional information for you.

Quote:
QUESTION A:
If I assault a city, and with my movement i provoke a rampaging enemy... If in my ranged attack phase, I group the rampaging enemy with a enemy token without Fortified ability (but he is fortified however because he is defending a fortified site)... does the rampaging enemy become fortified? And if the rampaging enemy was already Fortified... is it considered Fortified twice? (its Fortified ability, plus the fortified site bonus).
Quoted from the rulebook p. 8: If some of the chosen enemies are fortified (either because they are defending a fortified site, or because they have the fortified ability on their token), only Siege Attacks can be played. You can play Ranged Attacks only if none of the targeted enemies are fortified. ... If some of the enemies are fortified and some are not, you may want to deal with the unfortified ones with a separate attack (so you can use your Ranged Attacks).

If you attack a fortified site that has two enemies, one of which has the fortified symbol on its counter and the other of which has the unfortified symbol on its counter, and if you group them both together, then you may not attack that group--not with Siege Attacks and not with Ranged Attacks--during this Ranged and Siege Attack phase because they would both be treated as if doubly fortified. Note: it's not just that attacks are ineffective--you can't play any attacks at all. Similarly, if a group of enemy tokens is singly fortified, you can't play any plain Attacks or any Ranged Attacks against it during the Ranged and Siege Attack phase.

Q3: If you attack a CITY that is defended by three enemies and one of them is a CRYPT WORM (armor 6, Fortified, Attack 6, Fame 5) are all of the enemies doubly fortified?
A3: Not necessarily. When it comes to attacking CITY defenders, you can divide them into groups for the purposes of combining Attack cards. So only those enemies that you choose to put into the same group with the CRYPT WORM will become doubly fortified.

Quote:
QUESTION B:
I think i understand the resistance to additional combat effects. But... from the rulebook: "Any non-Attack/Block effect from a red card, OR a Unit ability that costs red mana to activate has no effect on enemies with Fire resistance". Does this mean that, if you have a Catapult and pay a red mana (Siege Fire attack 5 if you pay a red mana), has no effect on enemies with Fire resistance? Although it is an Attack effect?
Any non-Attack/non-Block effects from a Unit ability that is powered by red/blue mana has no effect against enemies with Fire/Ice Resistance. This only affects two Units: the DELPHANA MASTERS and the AMOTEP FREEZERS.

BTW, if you were to give this thread a more descriptive title, it would help future players locate this thread more easily, perhaps, "Rampaging enemies get fortification? Units vs. fire resistance?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatoly
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes wonder: Does Siege part of an attack counts as an attack part or not.

For example, lets say I am attacking a keep at night which is being defended by Ice Golumn. So of course he is fortified. In my hand I have the Snowstorm/Blizzard spell.

Now I use a black die from the sourse with a blue crystal to cast Blizzard in my ranged step. I take a wound. It does 8 siege ice damage, but that is halved to 4 due to his ice resistance. Luckily he is on 4 armour, so he is dead regardless.

Is the above legal? Or is the following applies:

He is ice resistant. Thus Blizzard's "Siege" part is removed and only the Ice Attack 8 part applies. Therefore I can't use this spell in ranged phase (Damn that fortification!) and first have to block his attack. So I use four cards sideways to block his damage and then cast blizzard to kill him in the attack stage of combat.

I always play it as the first scenario, but on occasion have doubts. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill K
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
. . . then came the king's son, wounded, sore bestead, and weaponless, and saw the broken sword, hilt-buried in the dry and trodden sand, and ran and snatched it, and with battle shout lifted afresh, he hewed his enemy down . . .
badge
A spicebush swallowtail caterpillar that was roaming my neighborhood.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lotana wrote:
I sometimes wonder: Does Siege part of an attack counts as an attack part or not.
I believe the "Siege" aspect of the attack is every bit as inherent to the attack as the "Ice" aspect is. Yes, special effects let you change these aspects of the attack--add "Fire", turn "Siege" into "Ranged", etc., but it is all still bound up in "an attack of a certain number of points".

Lost Legion, p. 5: For the purposes of some effects (Wolfhawk’s Know Your Prey Skill or Tovak’s Cold Toughness card), we need to define what is an enemy token ability. In the overview of the base game, attack types are wrongly listed under offensive abilities. We apologize for confusion – in fact, Ice Attack, Fire Attack, Ice Cold Attack, Summon Attack and Multiple Attacks are types of attack, not offensive abilities.

Here are a few relevant quotes from the Q&A Compendium:

S4: During the Attack phase, there is no difference between Attacks, Ranged Attacks, and Siege Attacks--and they are all treated as "Attacks". So if you use Leadership during the Attack phase, you gain +2 regardless of what type of Attack is shown on the Unit. And if you use Vial of Toxin during the Attack phase, you gain +3 to the Attack regardless of what type of Attack it is applied to--Ranged, Siege, or just a plain Attack--so long as it is a Physical Attack.

S31: In general, when an effect says something like "reduce one enemy attack by 1," it means "any kind of Attack". There are some abilities that only affect non-elemental Attacks, but those abilities use the words "physical attack"--for example, see the text for the strong effect of the Sword of Justice artifact.

S3: The stronger effect of Will Focus can increase the strength of Ice Blocks and Cold Fire Blocks, as well as of Fire Attacks and Siege Ice Attacks, etc. When a card says "type of Attack," it's referring to Attack, Ranged Attack, or Siege Attack--the element of the Attack is irrelevant. Note that there is only one "type" of Block, although Blocks--like Attacks--might have various elements.

S2: During the Attack phase, there is no difference between Attacks, Ranged Attacks, and Siege Attacks. So if you use Leadership during the Attack phase, you get +2 regardless of what type of Attack is shown on the Unit.
If you have CATAPULTS but no mana (Siege Attack 3), and you have the Leadership Skill, you can't use Leadership on them in the Ranged and Siege Attack phase; however, you can use Leadership to raise their Attack to 5 in the Attack phase.

S3: During the Attack phase, there is no difference between Attacks, Ranged Attacks, and Siege Attacks. So if you use Vial of Toxin during the Attack phase, you gain +3 to the Attack regardless of what type of Attack it is being applied to--a Ranged, or Siege, or plain Attack--so long as it's a Physical Attack.

Notice these quotes, taken from several different Mage Knight players, seem pretty consistent referring to Ranged/Siege/Plain as "type of the attack".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.