• [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I would love to see an official set of Star Trek based corporations. What a cool idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin
United States
Thibodaux
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why solo only? Seem nice anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imoen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CBpegasus wrote:
Why solo only? Seem nice anyways

I'm playing TM only solo. So I didn't test in a multiplayer environment. Feel free to try, and tell us how it works

TY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Corp that might actually want to go for the Planner milestone?? Craziness! surprisesurprisesurprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
A Corp that might actually want to go for the Planner milestone?? Craziness! surprisesurprisesurprise

Inventrix, beginner corps, any corp with a good long-term hand at the beginning of the game in lower player counts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A H
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
CBpegasus wrote:
ryudoowaru wrote:

Inventrix, beginner corps, any corp with a good long-term hand at the beginning of the game in lower player counts

I don't play with beginner corps, but I think that Inventrix is best positioned for a planner strategy out of the rest of the corps and even then it's a bad strategy.

You need 16 cards in hand, Inventrix gets 3 (9M saved). But you still need to purchase 13 cards (39M) + 8M to unlock so 47M of investment to get 5 VP.

A non Inventrix corp needs to buy 16 cards so 48M; not to mention you cannot use cards because that puts you farther away from planner. Anyway, I've never seen a successful planner strategy and Inventrix gets you closer, but still far from what is feasible. Even Ferengi leaves us with a 32M cost for the 16 cards needed. A corp that lets you draw for free (perhaps once per generation or once per tile placement) would make planner reasonable but might be overpowered in other ways.

---

Anyway, it would be interesting to see how this plays out. In multiplayer it feels like it might be as strong as Tharsis Republic. The ability to gain adjacent area bonuses is perhaps too strong, you can get 13 plants from this turn 1. 11 from tile+adj bonus, then drop a greenery for another 2 plants. He doesn't have the staying power of Tharsis but the +3M production means he should start off better, and be able to afford cards throughout the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PhDre wrote:

You need 16 cards in hand, Inventrix gets 3 (9M saved). But you still need to purchase 13 cards (39M) + 8M to unlock so 47M of investment to get 5 VP.

A non Inventrix corp needs to buy 16 cards so 48M; not to mention you cannot use cards because that puts you farther away from planner.

Sorry for derailing the thread but I'd like to respond. Looking at the total amount you payed for the card as the cost you payed for 5 vps is the wrong way to look at it. You payed that for a hand full of cards + 5vps. If you end up using all those cards then you didn't lose any money, just an opportunity cost (i.e. if I pay 3mc for a card in gen 1 and only use it in gen 10, what I lost is what I might have gained if I used those 3mc for something earlier). Each card you end up discarding instead of using costs you just 2mc, not 3.

Personally I like playing for the long game and keeping combos, high requirement cards etc... So I'd often go for planner if my starting hand lend itself to that. You can always achieve it in generation 3 if you go really hard (generation 2 as Inventrix) but allowing for more wiggle room - some cards you don't keep, some cards you play to start the engine (I like to play ocean cards to get viking spot or other card draw cards) I often do it by generation 4 or 5 - still earlier than most milestones.

It doesn't always work well (lately I tried it in a 4-player game that ended up being only 7 generations, had to discard most of my cards gulp ) but there are many times it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That corp actually inspired me to think (more) about (more) star trek cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.