Mythic Battles: Pantheon» Forums » General

Subject: MBP 1.5, What Should I Get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Teegardin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I currently do not have any components of Mythic Battles Pantheon. I am hoping this game brings me back to the glory days of playing Heroscape. I have looked through the forums and looks like the top big expansions are: #1 Hera, #2 Hephaistos, #3 Poseidon, #4 Rise of the Titans.

I am currently thinking of acquiring the following:
*Core Box
*Hera
*Poseidon
*Rise of the Titans
*Heroes of the Trojan War
*Deluxe Storage
*Paolo (if offered)
*Ymir

What is everyone's thoughts? Should I pick up more stat clips or will I have enough with the core box? Are there any expansions that you all recommend I add or remove to my list?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hera definitely, then Poseidon, don't bother with stat clips you'll have more than enough (trust me ), then go for anything else you can afford, I wouldn't rush for the titans, although they are lovely megatures, they don't seem to have many scenarios , but again get what your wallet allows coz it's all gorgeous in all honesty , the storage box is cool but it doesn't hold all the cards if you sleeve using high quality sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Teegardin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I plan on not sleeving the game. The thing is I could technically afford all of it and then sum; I am just looking to be sure I do not waste any money on something that does not add much to the game. How are the titans for skirmish matches (1v1)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Captain Kirk wrote:
I plan on not sleeving the game. The thing is I could technically afford all of it and then sum; I am just looking to be sure I do not waste any money on something that does not add much to the game. How are the titans for skirmish matches (1v1)?

I can't comment on gameplay, as I'm just a collector, my thoughts were based on what I thought was good value, and of use, maybe other geeks can help with the gameplay side of things for you. Sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Titans are quite tough in 1v1 skirmishes. It balances out in that you have fewer recruitment points remaining if you recruit a titan, where your opponents may bolster their forces with extra heroes/monsters.

They're a lot of fun and it mixes things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Captain Kirk wrote:
I currently do not have any components of Mythic Battles Pantheon. I am hoping this game brings me back to the glory days of playing Heroscape. I have looked through the forums and looks like the top big expansions are: #1 Hera, #2 Hephaistos, #3 Poseidon, #4 Rise of the Titans.

I am currently thinking of acquiring the following:
*Core Box
*Hera
*Poseidon
*Rise of the Titans
*Heroes of the Trojan War
*Deluxe Storage
*Paolo (if offered)
*Ymir

What is everyone's thoughts? Should I pick up more stat clips or will I have enough with the core box? Are there any expansions that you all recommend I add or remove to my list?

Thanks!

Ymir will not be available until the June 2019 Ragnarok

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaspeLoedm wrote:

if i had read correctly, Ymir will indeed be available during the reprint. Instead of going for a pantheon expansion, monolith decided to go with a ragnarok expansion to showcase/ preview mbp: ragnarok most likely to build the hype for its release next year. No other new units will be released for the reprint aside from ymir. they be releasing his character card in a couply of days i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turonee wrote:
JaspeLoedm wrote:

if i had read correctly, Ymir will indeed be available during the reprint. Instead of going for a pantheon expansion, monolith decided to go with a ragnarok expansion to showcase/ preview mbp: ragnarok most likely to build the hype for its release next year. No other new units will be released for the reprint aside from ymir. they be releasing his character card in a couply of days i think.

Yeah, I read the comments in the update page again and it WONT be available with Ragnarok, just this 1.5 reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JaspeLoedm wrote:
Turonee wrote:
JaspeLoedm wrote:

Yeah, I read the comments in the update page again and it WONT be available with Ragnarok, just this 1.5 reprint.

they chaned it again? erwan said they initially would make it a 1.5 reprint only exclusive, but then decided to still make it available again during the ragnarok kickstarter (most likely for a higher price.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullshit they will hurt Ragnarok in 2019 by having a key figure, Ymir, as unavailable to new MBR backers. If what you say is true (Monolith claiming Ymir is exclusive to the MBP reprint), it sounds like FOMO tactics that they’ll find a way around come Jun 2019 - when they want to hawk MPR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pietro Pomella
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QUOTING MONOLITH ON FACEBOOK:

It will be available the 5th June (if you want you can pledge only this one) or in 2019 also.

edit: referring to Ymir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pietro Pomella wrote:

It will be available the 5th June (if you want you can pledge only this one) or in 2019 also.

Now that makes sense, not this “Ragnarok giant exlcusive to Pantheon” bs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
I only play 1 vs 1, since the modes vs the game are unappealing to me. Yeah, i never tried.
From just the usefulness of seperate units, DEFINATELY Poseidon !
They are the best in manipulating positions, have great troops, a strong God, Andromeda is very useful & its got 5 point Monsters ! They are so brutal !
All the value i c is in how viable the units are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
El Captain Kirk wrote:

I have a all in pledge and only play skirmish. IMO if you can afford all and it doesnt really matter money wise get everything because drafting options imo is one of the great things about this game.

I have not gotten everything on the table yet. But i always look forward in a new game to add new mini's i havent tried.

Also note to consider is the possible changes coming with some of the units being changed strenght wise due to OP.

Edit: Dont get more stat clips no need
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff wrote:
Pietro Pomella wrote:

Now that makes sense, not this “Ragnarok giant exlcusive to Pantheon” bs.

From Monolith on the update comments page:

Monolith Board Games LLC 4-time creator about 14 hours ago
@steffen sveegaard: of course not. Ymi will not be a part of the all-in of Mythic Battles: Ragnarök as we don't want people who will buy it the 58th June to have it twice if they plan to pledge all-in in 2019.

So I guess you can get it with MB: R, but it won't be part of the all in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Teegardin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hellikin wrote:
The Titans are quite tough in 1v1 skirmishes. It balances out in that you have fewer recruitment points remaining if you recruit a titan, where your opponents may bolster their forces with extra heroes/monsters.

They're a lot of fun and it mixes things up a bit.

Thanks, that is what I was hoping for. I will for sure be picking up the titans then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Teegardin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies. I will be sure keep in mind your comments next week when the KS launches. I believe that Ymir being offered this time around is definitely going to help build hype for the Ragnarok expansion next year. I would also find it unfair if the did not offer Ymir during the Ragnarok campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Dolan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Captain Kirk wrote:
Are there any expansions that you all recommend I add or remove to my list?

Thanks!

You should get the ones you like, units are well balanced enough that it's fine to pick based on coolness. That said, I have found my group drafts units from the Hephaistos expansion much more than Poseidon (we don't care for ship battles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd put the Poseidon expansion as number 1, above everything else, both in regard to original gameplay and with respect to aesthetics.

Hera and Hephaistos are number 2, and from a benefit-for-cost perspective, I'd put Heroes of the Trojan War right up there. If you're focused on campaign play, Hera would be a contestant for the number 1 spot. The Hephaistos expansion contains my favorite map.

Titans are cool models, but even though they add an interesting choice to the skirmish games, I feel like the games that I've played with Titan armies have all been kind of similar. In other words, I feel like Titans basically lock you into a certain army style - it's a new army style that you won't get without them, and it's original within the rest of the game, but it's a choice you're making when you pick your Titan: There's many different ways to build and play a Hades army, but Typhon armies will always be high-cost high-value beatdown armies.

I wouldn't rule out the Oedipus/Sphinx expansion. Both models are think-outside-the-box counterpicks whose mere presence changes how armies are drafted. Personally, I would consider it before the Titans add-on.

Most of the other stuff is, at least in my opinion, very situational (Manticore, Thermopylae map) or outright cosmetic (Paolo, Deluxe storage), so it's something that you would pick up once you've already got everything else (or within a bundle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Teegardin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Randombias wrote:
Personally, I'd put the Poseidon expansion as number 1, above everything else, both in regard to original gameplay and with respect to aesthetics.

Hera and Hephaistos are number 2, and from a benefit-for-cost perspective, I'd put Heroes of the Trojan War right up there. If you're focused on campaign play, Hera would be a contestant for the number 1 spot. The Hephaistos expansion contains my favorite map.

Titans are cool models, but even though they add an interesting choice to the skirmish games, I feel like the games that I've played with Titan armies have all been kind of similar. In other words, I feel like Titans basically lock you into a certain army style - it's a new army style that you won't get without them, and it's original within the rest of the game, but it's a choice you're making when you pick your Titan: There's many different ways to build and play a Hades army, but Typhon armies will always be high-cost high-value beatdown armies.

I wouldn't rule out the Oedipus/Sphinx expansion. Both models are think-outside-the-box counterpicks whose mere presence changes how armies are drafted. Personally, I would consider it before the Titans add-on.

Most of the other stuff is, at least in my opinion, very situational (Manticore, Thermopylae map) or outright cosmetic (Paolo, Deluxe storage), so it's something that you would pick up once you've already got everything else (or within a bundle).

Thanks for the good information, I will look to add the Oedipus and Sphinx package.

I will not be getting the recently announced wine, imp, @nus fisting God. Looks terrible and would be to graphic for my 9 year old daughter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Verheij
msg tools
mbmb
Personally my order of importance would be:

-Hera.(most value for the money.)
-Haephestos. (Adds five monsters and a lava theme. The small monster boxes are very expensive for what you get.)
-Heroes of the Trojan war. (five very usefull heroes and good value for the money considering the Manticore on its own costs about the same.)
-Oedipus and the Sphinx. (a little more pricy, but very iconic to the mythology.)

That's all I ordered myself in the initial kickstarter.

For this one I am still in doubt.

Depending on how much they increase the price I might get the Poseidon box, its a mixed bag for me though since the water units look out of place on land and I really dislike some artistic choices made here.
Also I feel like water battles might force both sides to grab all water units since they have a huge advantage there, more so than lava resistant units on a lava map.

Hell's judges is probably more likely for me to get, since it adds some fire resistant heroes. The only fire resistant heroes.

If I don't get Poseidon I might get either Echidna's children or the Manticore with Hell's judges.

Either way I will probably get two expansions since the opportunity is there, but all would be too pricy.

titans expansion is the most overpriced of them all and just not worth the money to me. I prefer armies to be more balanced and not just big super units. That and there's not a single titan in there that I really like the look of. Atlas is the best looking one to me and he's in Pandora's box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumor has it that the Oedipus and Sphinx set will not make a return to the reprint. I hope that is not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Baughman

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
Will Code For Food
mbmbmbmb
My son is a Greek Myth buff and loved the Riordan books. We are probably going to supplement our original base pledge with Poseidon and Hera. Maybe the Titans since they figure so prominently in those books but I don't want to spend a ton of money when we have barely scratched the surface of what we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Titans as it has coop scenarios. Not the best value for the money (I think Hera wins there). But, it adds a new way to play that we enjoyed. And, without it we would have only had one titin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sammy
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, well...the only extra item I got from the first KS, besides Pandora's Box of course, was Hera.

I had good reason at the time. Can't remember what it was now...but really it was a toss up between Hera/Poseidon & Hera won by a hair.

What am I getting in the new KS:
POSEIDON!!
Hephaestus
Titans
Heroes of Trojan War
Sphinx (if offered)

Undecided:
Manticore
Dionysus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.