16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What games would you recommend to me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
As said on the title. Based on my profile ratings, what games you might think i will enjoy?

Ive started to buy boardgames like a year ago. At first i used to buy almost everything, to see what kind of games i like. But after some of disappointments (see my previously owned) i became more careful and i tend to research like too much before buying something haha but now im almost out of ideas, and i really want a new cool and refreshing board game!

So thanks in advance to all! Have a nice day!

A “brief” comment about my tastes:

So my actual favourite game is Hansa Teutonica, i love its simplicity and elegamce, the network building aspect and the “privilege thing” where depending on the colours you unlock you can put cubes in different houses. Almoat the same for Concordia, loved the fact of travelling and putting houses around the map, didnt care too much about the deckbuildind aspect. I also enjoyed the respurce management thing.
The dice management and the variable player powers of marco polo is another of my favourites.
Another game that i really enjoyed along with my friends is Cutthroat Caverns, some of the encounters are really cool with so ingenious abilities(the riddle room is my favourite). Also like the backstabby aspect of the game, though aometimes it makes the game too long.
We played twice a 5 and 6 Rex game and it was a blast for us, the battles were great and tense. The problem is that its too long and ee dnt have that much to play it.
The worker placement of Dogs of War was very cool and the end scoring where some of the VP depends on the house is awesome.
El grande is another big hit, i think i love moving cubes through a big map(like hansa teutonica). Here i enjoyed the area majority and the different turn order with the bidding.

In my gaming group we are 2-5 players (if the games plays well eith 2 players its a plus, another favourites are Hive and Schotten toten).

We love fantasy/historic/old themes and dont care too much about future/space.

A good playtime will be something between 1-2.5 hours.

And about the experience im looking for...well i would like a board game that its exciting to play, with tense moments, interactive, where what you do affects the other players, with great replayability, nice mechanics, different paths to victory...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might enjoy the games I rate highly, and not enjoy the ones I rate poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Carcassonne
Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
based on you liking Hansa Teutonica and Concordia so much I would suggest:
Power Grid
Clans of Caledonia
maybe Keyflower
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
You like Magic the Gathering and Concordia, man you're ready for anything

Look at the games I score high in my collection, start researching those and take ik from there.

Also as a fellow Magic player if you are looking for 2 player gems that give you the same feel but in a nice compact buy once single box look at

Innovation
Omen: A Reign of War

they might both be hard to get though...
I really like Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You really rated something 7.98?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
Thank you for all of the suggestions! Ill get soon innovation and power grid and will look into the rest for sure! . Still open to more suggestions though haha what u guys think about vast the crystal caverns? I was also looking for a fun dungeon crawler experience.

Razoupaf wrote:
You really rated something 7.98?

Hahaha yiiieh played once and really liked, but not a solid 8. Made sense at the time a rated it whistle modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
Will also check Cyclades, think i need a good dudes on a map game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

Awkward.

To be honest, it would be helpful if you could tell us WHAT you did or didn't like about those specific games. Not everyone will bother to check (I did, but others might not), and besides, it's just a list of games after all.

What kind of experience are you looking for? What kind of mechanisms do you enjoy? How many people are usually playing? Is there a minimum/maximum desired playtime? Are there any themes you hate/love?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
Nashman88 wrote:

To be honest, it would be helpful if you could tell us WHAT you did or didn't like about those specific games. Not everyone will bother to check (I did, but others might not), and besides, it's just a list of games after all.

What kind of experience are you looking for? What kind of mechanisms do you enjoy? How many people are usually playing? Is there a minimum/maximum desired playtime? Are there any themes you hate/love?

True.

So my actual favourite game is Hansa Teutonica, i love its simplicity and elegamce, the network building aspect and the “privilege thing” where depending on the colours you unlock you can put cubes in different houses. Almoat the same for Concordia, loved the fact of travelling and putting houses around the map, didnt care too much about the deckbuildind aspect. I also enjoyed the respurce management thing.
The dice management and the variable player powers of marco polo is another of my favourites.
Another game that i really enjoyed along with my friends is Cutthroat Caverns, some of the encounters are really cool with so ingenious abilities(the riddle room is my favourite). Also like the backstabby aspect of the game, though aometimes it makes the game too long.
We played twice a 5 and 6 Rex game and it was a blast for us, the battles were great and tense. The problem is that its too long and ee dnt have that much to play it.
The worker placement of Dogs of War was very cool and the end scoring where some of the VP depends on the house is awesome.
El grande is another big hit, i think i love moving cubes through a big map(like hansa teutonica). Here i enjoyed the area majority and the different turn order with the bidding.

In my gaming group we are 2-5 players (if the games plays well eith 2 players its a plus, another favourites are Hive and Schotten toten).

We love fantasy/historic/old themes and dont care too much about future/space.

A good playtime will be something between 1-2.5 hours.

And about the experience im looking for...well i would like a board game that its exciting to play, with tense moments, interactive, where what you do affects the other players, with great replayability, nice mechanics, different paths to victory...

Sorry for this long answer haha tried to sum it up a little bit. Hope it helps you to know what im looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Wrede
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might like

Codex: Card-Time Strategy (if you like Magic:TG, you'll love this)

Anachrony (worker placement)

Clockwork Wars (area control)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rentry wrote:

Both expansions make it really shine. Expecially the Titan one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add that you should take a look at The Staufer Dynasty.

It's from the same designer as Hansa Teutonica, and is even more streamlined in my opinion.

I would also take a look at Macao.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmb
copcopps wrote:
rentry wrote:

Both expansions make it really shine. Expecially the Titan one

Most will disagree, Titans drastically alters the feel of the game where Hades just provides a more tense experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodb66 wrote:
Most will disagree, Titans drastically alters the feel of the game where Hades just provides a more tense experience.
I wouldn't say that most agree. It really depends on how much you enjoyed the base game.
If you mostly enjoyed the base game, Hades will fix all the minor issues you may have had with the game. But if you thought the base game was lacking and didn't have enough conflicts, Titans is the better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It may not what you were describing but it's by far the most interesting game I've played thematic wise Spirit Island. By far my favorite game that you can tune the difficulty to your liking.

Other game I can recommend Nations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.