Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Clarification on agenda phase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nick haritodiplomenos
Greece
flag msg tools
Hello, two things id like to confirm for the agenda phase:

1) You get to refresh your planets both before voting, and after. You will always have your full influence available for you when voting. Correct?

2) When do you stop making deals? Meaning, lets say all players make deals. Player A then votes as he stated he would in a deal he made with player C. Player B then is about to vote, can deals still be made now that everyone has seen what A voted? Meaning, does all dealmaking stop when the first vote was cast, or can you keep making deals etc every time a player is a bout to vote, depending on how the votes are going?

Lastly, lets say we have now reached player D, who had made a deal with B on what to vote. B sees he no longer needs player D's vote. Can he take back the deal? For example. if he promised player D 5 trade goods if he votes for an outcome, can he tell him that since he no longer needs the votes he doesnt want to go through with the deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kinan Diraneyya
msg tools
1) correct, except there are two agendas and you only refresh your planets after both of them are decided, so be careful distributing your weight.

2) During the agenda phase, deal are open all the time, you can even make two deals in a raw with the same player..
Correction: you are still limited to one transaction per player, but this refreshes after every vote (every individual player vote, not every round of votes).

3) A general rule in TI4, is that deals are only binding when they are immediately resolved, since both players agreed on a deal that would happen later in time, then they both get to take it back, I will give a couple other cases to clarify this further:
case1: Assuming both players agreed on that deal at the moment of player D's vote, then if player D voted in favor of player B, player B will be forced to pay 5TG. Because the deal was immediate.
case2: Assuming player B promised not attacking player D in exchange for that vote (instead of the 5TG), then player D voted in favor of player B, player B will still have the option to break his promise and attack player D. Because the deal wasn't immediate.
case3: the case you mentioned, where both players technically agreed to "make an agreement" later, they were both free to cancel that deal at any time. Because the deal wasn't immediate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jethro
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Really don't mind if you sit this one out
mbmb
My table generally only finalize deals when the person is about to vote (ie to make them binding). But sometimes we are forced to make early deals during a competitive agenda where everyone is buying everyones votes, and do something like:

2 TG now in good faith, 2 TG when you make the agreed votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
1) You will always have your full votes for the first agenda UNLESS a specific action card is played on you.
You refresh at the end of the agenda phase (second agenda) not between the first & second agenda. Therefore any planets exhausted prior to the second vote will not be available.

2 & 3) Lately there have been rulings for timings that I haven't been using, so I'm not gonna touch this. The way I've been playing is that deals are only binding when it's a certain player's turn to vote & no transactions are usually made until there are enough "bought" votes to seal an outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.