Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » General

Subject: Are you backing Sprawl Ops? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious to hear from you hardened runners out there. Is the Shadowrun theme enough to get you interested in a completely different game? I have only been playing Shadowrun: Crossfire for a few months (15 or so plays), but I love almost everything about it. I like the theme, I like the gameplay, I like how hard it is at 2P, and I like that it is a cooperative deck builder. I am also a big fan of Aeon's End.

But I am not yet sold on Sprawl Ops. A competitive worker placement game is really not my normal thing. That said, the Shadowrun theme and that it has a cooperative expansion is getting me really close to plunging in. Also, living in Seattle, it would be kind of cool to get a game with my city's map right on it.

What do you think, are you backing Sprawl Ops?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm backing Sprawl Ops because I'm a sucker. That's a little harsh but it seems overpriced for what your getting. IDK. It's Shadowrun and I keep hoping we end up with another great board game for Shadowrun besides Crossfire so I'm supporting it.

It looks fine but again pricey for what you're getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nope. still waiting for the new edition crossfire. I see that this kickstarter will delay that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazz Paladin
msg tools
No, I just want the new Prime Runner update pack for crossfire. If I want a euro/worker placement game , I'll look elsewhere, because the deck-building mechanic was perfect for SR:CF, no need to get the theme or vibe from a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The downtime seems pretty harsh to me. Someone rolls their dice and decides which to use vs reroll and then rolls again up to 2x more. I don't want to sit there and watch my opponents decide how to use their dice. And of course, there's not much potential planning on my part while I wait because I won't know what I'll roll. Just doesn't seem like a good mechanism to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I'm thinking about it. I just found out about it a couple of days ago so I want to look into it more first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paying extra for a solo/coop mode seems not okay with me (and the extra cost is 50% of the base game, ouch). And it seems they are still reusing a lot of the same art from Crossfire...

It is a pass for me, but I hope people who buy it will have fun of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
Paying extra for a solo/coop mode seems not okay with me (and the extra cost is 50% of the base game, ouch). And it seems they are still reusing a lot of the same art from Crossfire...

Agreed on the co-op expansion. With that added it comes to $75 for this game!

Funny you say that about the art, because I thought the same thing. Additionally, I was just reading the news linked here about the new Prime Runner addiion (which by the way isn't really all the much in the way of new information), https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/40495/catalyst-reboots-s.... This quote caught my eye,

Quote:
The new edition will mostly feature art from the original game along with some new artwork.

So it looks like they will be using the same art for the Prime Runner editions as well. Maybe they are just done making new art for Shadowrun products in general?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
judo artist wrote:

Funny you say that about the art, because I thought the same thing. Additionally, I was just reading the news linked here about the new Prime Runner addiion (which by the way isn't really all the much in the way of new information), https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/40495/catalyst-reboots-s.... This quote caught my eye,

Quote:
The new edition will mostly feature art from the original game along with some new artwork.

So it looks like they will be using the same art for the Prime Runner editions as well. Maybe they are just done making new art for Shadowrun products in general?

It seems so for their board games line and I suppose it is for money reasons. Even if I understand, that would be a disapointment, because an important part of cyberpunk is its own particular visuals and atmosphere. Recycling arts over and over just gives a deja-vu impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impression was that Sprawl Ops is too much push your luck with dice so no I'm not backing it. Waiting Prime Runner's Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Psydotek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I feel Shadowrun should be coop instead of competitive. I know there's a coop add on but lately I've only been backing Kickstarters at the lowest level to get the base product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No interest in this game. Waiting for the upgrade pack (and considering buying Dragonfire instead..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, the setting is really cool (and I am a huge Crossfire fan), but I really don't want a euro with dice chuckling attached to it.

Plus, I'm pissed because when I read about Sprawl Ops I thought it was Sprawl Gangers renamed... now, THAT is a game I want...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjoern
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I pass on that one. I don't like push your luck elements and the price point for that kind of game is much lower than the offer.

100 $ for the whole game (up to 6 player and solo/coop mode) is much to high for the components you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noneya Bidness
United States
Middletown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No_Frets wrote:
Nope, the setting is really cool (and I am a huge Crossfire fan), but I really don't want a euro with dice chuckling attached to it.

Plus, I'm pissed because when I read about Sprawl Ops I thought it was Sprawl Gangers renamed... now, THAT is a game I want...

They haven't stated it directly but it was implied in one of the Q&As that how well this game does decides the fate of Sprawl Gangers and any other future Shadowrun board games. Of course now that this game is funded and meeting stretch goals everything looks good for the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vignola
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm backing it. I'm intrigue by the competitive aspect of it.
And a little bit of push your luck is a nice change of pace sometime.

enzo622 wrote:
No. The downtime seems pretty harsh to me. Someone rolls their dice and decides which to use vs reroll and then rolls again up to 2x more. I don't want to sit there and watch my opponents decide how to use their dice. And of course, there's not much potential planning on my part while I wait because I won't know what I'll roll. Just doesn't seem like a good mechanism to me.

That's not totally true. It is pretty fast. Your hits can only be use as success or to cancel injuries. There isn't some card effects that trigger if you spend this or use that in a special way. It is straight forward. But i understand that it's not for everyone.
(if you don't like the combination of dice and downtime, don't play World of Warcraft: The BoardGame. )

Jamelrha wrote:
And it seems they are still reusing a lot of the same art from Crossfire...

That is not a surprise. Catalyst call it way, way back in the Year of Shadowrun. They want to facilitate things for people when they jump from one game to an another. The visual cues (art, token, icons, etc.) are the same as in Crossfire, as in Encounters, and as in the RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Pufky
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am backing it. Can't get the RPG to my tabletop any more - gotta get my Shadowrun fix anyway I can. I've gotten several people to love crossfire though, so at least getting it that way. Partially backing Sprawl Ops to get the metal Nuyen for Crossfire (my money chits have been handled a bit too much).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos007 wrote:

They haven't stated it directly but it was implied in one of the Q&As that how well this game does decides the fate of Sprawl Gangers and any other future Shadowrun board games. Of course now that this game is funded and meeting stretch goals everything looks good for the future.

That makes no sense, honestly. But what do I know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to back it, for the love of all things Shadowrun and just to keep the creative content coming for that universe... I just haven't been able to overcome the price-point involved for the 'full' game and I'm not a particular fan of the dice-rolling mechanic.

We'll see... I set a reminder so that I can check back in after I've had some time to consider it some more. Maybe we'll get lucky and some of the stretch goals will include new art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm backing it. This game is everything that Shadowrun Encounters should have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Vignola
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos007 wrote:

I'm not sure they were talking about Sprawl Gangers. There is at least one, maybe two more games coming in the Shadowrun Universe and i think they were talking about those. But i might be wrong.

davro33 wrote:
I'm backing it. This game is everything that Shadowrun Encounters should have been.

I think my copy of Encounters might be played a little less after receiving this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just assume Sprawl Ganger is dead in the water at this point. Be pleasantly surprised if they resurrect it, but don't expect it to ever happen. The intersection of hardcore skirmishing miniature gamers and Shadowrun enthusiasts is not a huge section of the gaming population... and Shadowrun as a game world is so retrofuturist it hurts. As much love I have for it, it probably has been past its prime as a relevant setting since somewhere in the mid-90s.

The dystopian cyberpunk future is now, and it has a lot less chrome and flash than we have been promised. All the corporate world domination and environmental collapse, though. Just scratch out Richard Villier and write-in Elon Musk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Potts
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
enzo622 wrote:

daclown wrote:
That's not totally true. It is pretty fast. Your hits can only be use as success or to cancel injuries. There isn't some card effects that trigger if you spend this or use that in a special way. It is straight forward. But i understand that it's not for everyone.

Also, the rulebook says once everybody's got the hang of how the dice work players can roll for their missions simultaneously as long as it doesn't involve a hired runner cause then turn order would matter. That would speed things up considerably I would think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:

The dystopian cyberpunk future is now...

As long we don’t have a direct connection between our brain and a computer, it is still not cyberpunk enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

The dystopian cyberpunk future is now...

As long we don’t have a direct connection between our brain and a computer, it is still not cyberpunk enough for me.

Smartphones are the next best thing chummer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.