Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I take it that the only difference between the different themed maps (rock, country, rap, etc.) is the artwork? Game play is identical?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Quality Affordable Gaming Tables - BoardGameTables.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since this was brought up and the designer responded...

I wondered if it wouldn't be cool to have other regions (instead of just other artwork and Music style")? Europe. Australasia. The World.

I'd guess this was suggested already somewhere?

A related question: If I understood the map correctly, the connections between circles/states follow exactly the real borders. (See for example the Oklahoma panhandle... The board's connections match exactly the small/weird borders of the state.) So this looks to me as if the connections didn't follow design decisions (balancing, streamlining) but geography? (This is not meant as a negative criticism, apparently it worked just fine?)

But coming back to my initial suggestion: The "frayed" shape of Europe would lend itself to a more challenging game? (Sort of advanced mode?)

Also regions could match music style? Pop for Britain, Metal for Scandinavia, Country for the US/The South? Just food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad DeShon
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The connections are based on the state borders. Early prototypes didn't have the dotted connection lines. You just had to look at the borders.

I think the uneven distribution of the real geographic borders gives the game nice asymmetry that leads to more interesting decisions. And, it is fun to play on something "real" rather than an artificially balanced board.

There is some good potential for other maps. I tried one test on a European map and it didn't go well, but more tweaking could probably make it good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An Australian map would have only 3 cities that anyone gives a damn about up and down the east coast, plus 1/2 point cities in Canberra, Darwin, Adelaide and Hobart, and Perth, which is worth a point, but takes 15 consecutive numbers to reach.

Sounds like a challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
An Australian map would have only 3 cities that anyone gives a damn about...

There's a reason I wrote "Australasia"

NZ, AUS, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bejing, Tokyo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
losfp wrote:
An Australian map would have only 3 cities that anyone gives a damn about...

There's a reason I wrote "Australasia"

NZ, AUS, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Bejing, Tokyo...

"We're gonna need a bigger van, er... boat."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.